IGNORED

England

How Tom Cleverley is a professional footballer, never mind an england international is beyond me. He does absolutely nothing.

The (not very) surprising thing is that when he was subbed his replacement (Ashley Young) was even worse!

Young and Milner are the two that baffle me.....totally inept every time they play for England but selected time after time after time.

I agree with both Keane & Hodgson after that game. If we want to go to Brazil and do well then we need to be playing better than we are, that performance was nowhere near our best and certain aspects of our game need to be looked at. I do however believe that the best is yet to come, we have played hard games away from home and the Wembley run-in puts us as favourites to win the group. I'd rather us have shaky games away than at home.

Hart was amazing tonight too, just thought I'd put that out there.

They should give Rickie Lambert a game.

Playing players from the top sides is a recipe for disaster, as they are often bolstered at club level by the top players in the world.

Useless players tonight were Carrick, Johnson, Milner and Welbeck, and our defence weren't much better.

We need some steel in defence. Maybe try Shawcross, who I'd like at Everton.

I don't know why though, we just need someone with some bollocks to stand-up to them. If England started playing some players out of the media-eye then obviously it would cause a shit-stir but wouldn't the tune change if we started winning something? Too many managers are afraid of the unknown and that is why at the moment we are average.

Lets be honest, who is going to come in? Truth is that despite the massive amount of English players there are, the actual top class players are few and far between.

If you take out the oldies who are at the end of the careers (Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, Rio), who else is there? Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Baines and Hart. Thats it... Whoever else you put in there is going to be average. I dont condone picking top 4 players unecessarily but Cleverly and Welbeck have played in a lot of big games for Utd and Fergie trusted them both to beat Real Madrid, which they arguably should have done. Who else has got that experience in the big games that should be playing?

For example if Glen Johnson is shite then who is actually better? Walker, Hibbert, Richards? Nope... They are similar but Johnson is by far the best attacking option of the lot.

Personally I would argue that both Defoe and Baines should have started against Montenegro as they have been in top form with their club this season and have proven their ability at international level. After that you are clutching at straws.

Edited by Bailey

walker is better than johnson i think...hasn't had the chance to be proven at international level really..but johnson is shite..he wasn't even good goin forward against montenegro..also i want a full back to be able to defend first and foremost...might as well play two right wingers if attacking full backs are what you want

also as for cleverley and welbeck..experienced in big games or not..that doesn't stop them being shite...and why is milner playing? to accommodate johnson? fuck them both off..lennon and walker any day for me

Edited by marcopaulo

walker is better than johnson i think...hasn't had the chance to be proven at international level really..but johnson is shite..he wasn't even good goin forward against montenegro..also i want a full back to be able to defend first and foremost...might as well play two right wingers if attacking full backs are what you want

also as for cleverley and welbeck..experienced in big games or not..that doesn't stop them being shite...and why is milner playing? to accommodate johnson? fuck them both off..lennon and walker any day for me

Johnson has actually done pretty well for England overall and while I do agree that Walker probably shades it, he is naive and makes quite a few mistakes defensively as well. Walker is quicker and Johnson is better on the ball but defensively they are similar.

Im not sure about Milner either but its because he works hard. Again not international class but whoever plays will have equal flaws.

So who comes in for Welbeck and Cleverly. I dont like forwards on the wing so AOC would have started for me, but Lennon is just a shit version if Walcott. He certainly isnt international class.

You dont rate them and I dont particularly rate them either but I dont rate the replacements either.

• 1 month later...

England squad (ahead of the friendly against Republic of Ireland tonight at 20:00):

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Alex McCarthy.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jack Rodwell, Theo Walcott.

Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck.

Ashley Cole is the captain (which is about as shocking as it gets).

Jags starts, Baines on the bench (unsurprising as Cole is captain).

Hart, Johnson, Cole ©, Carrick, Cahill, Jagielka, Walcott, Lampard, Sturridge, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

12 Baines, 13 Foster, 14 Lescott, 15 Jones, 16 Milner, 17 Rodwell, 18 Defoe, 19 Welbeck, 20 McCarthy

1-0 Ireland. Seamus with the assist.

Its only early on but i've got to say, Seamus is playing really, really well! Looks so composed on the ball

Hopefully the majority of his crosses for us will be that good next season. They'd gotten very poor towards the end of last season.