IGNORED

England

at least we've never had 30m to waste on veron...

Véron signed for Manchester United from Lazio for £28,000,000 (a record at the time) before being sold just two years and 54 games later to London-based Chelsea. Chelsea themselves paid only £15,000,000 meaning that United had made a considerable loss.

Like you said Marco - it could always be worse.

Véron signed for Manchester United from Lazio for £28,000,000 (a record at the time) before being sold just two years and 54 games later to London-based Chelsea. Chelsea themselves paid only £15,000,000 meaning that United had made a considerable loss.

Like you said Marco - it could always be worse.

Yeah, we could have spent £35m on Andy Carroll rofl.gif

Maybe Moyes should have realised that Russian players never do well over here?

There have been seven players from Russia to have played in the Premier League; Arshavin, Zhirkov, Bilyaletdinov, Pavlyuchenko, Kharine, Smertin and Kanchelskis.

Out of all of them Kanchelskis is the only player to have left his mark in our league, Arshavin started well but has since tailed off and Billy never got his chance to shine. The others simply haven't been up to our standards.

There have been seven players from Russia to have played in the Premier League; Arshavin, Zhirkov, Bilyaletdinov, Pavlyuchenko, Kharine, Smertin and Kanchelskis.

Out of all of them Kanchelskis is the only player to have left his mark in our league, Arshavin started well but has since tailed off and Billy never got his chance to shine. The others simply haven't been up to our standards.

Rebrov and Shevchenko.

JackWilshere Jack Wilshere

The question everyone is asking, fans and players, where do we go from here? Euro's is just around the corner and we have no manager?!?

(And Jack, if you don't know what to do with an apostrophe just admit it eh? Sticking a random one in in the hope that it's right just makes you look thick)

Has he got it wrong, though? He's not using it in a possessive sense, but as a contraction, isn't he? Euro's = European Championship is. In which case, he's doubled up on his 'is'? unsure.png

Euros is a shortening of Europeans (or European Championships) so it's a plural rather than possessive.

Euro is just around the corner makes no sense and Euro is is just around the corner (which is what he's effectively saying) makes even lesssmile.png .

But I'm just being pedanticGrammar Police.gif ....it was the "...where do we go from here....we have no manager" that made me laugh really.

Euros is a shortening of Europeans (or European Championships) so it's a plural rather than possessive.

Euro is just around the corner makes no sense and Euro is is just around the corner (which is what he's effectively saying) makes even lesssmile.png .

But I'm just being pedanticGrammar%20Police.gif ....it was the "...where do we go from here....we have no manager" that made me laugh really.

Is it plural? When did it become Europeans??? I've always referred to it as the European Championship.

http://en.wikipedia....ll_Championship

In which case, it's singular!

I have no idea how smart Jack is, mind. Or what his grammar's like.Grammar%20Police.gif

Edited by formby

It's the only way it remotely makes any sense, but it is a colloquialism.

"We're playing in the Euros in the summer" makes sense whereas "We're playing in the Euro's in the summer" doesn't....however you try to explain it..

I think you're wrong, actually, Mike. He didn't say 'We're playing in the Euros (sic) in the summer', did he? He said Euro's is just around the corner and we have no manager. Euros is the plural of the currency and not the correct, abbreviated version of the European Championship (if you figure that an apostrophe takes the place of missing letters in a contraction). Euros may well be an acceptable abbreviation colloquially for some, but there is equally nothing wrong with Euro's if he meant the European Championship is (just around the corner). His error there would be adding the extra 'is' afterwards. The point I was making, was that the apostrophe could be quite correct and the 'is' at fault, and not necessarily how you saw it. Nitpicking, I'm sure.

Edited by formby

Did we?

I was always under the impression that we had signed Per for £5,000,000 from Udinese and then sold him to Fiorentina for a fee in the region of £3,500,000 hence why everyone went mad and called it on of the 'worst buys ever'. You might well be right, it's just that I always thought we made a loss with him when he was bought and then sold two minutes later.

I'm pretty sure we got the £5million back.

...there is equally nothing wrong with Euro's if he meant the European Championship is (just around the corner).

But if you then take out the apostrophe he's saying.....

Euro is just around the corner.

Which is gibberish.

Anyway....gone on for long enoughsmile.png .

I see the papers have dragged up Stuart Pearce's 1994 'racism' incident with Paul Ince now. Helpful.

But if you then take out the apostrophe he's saying.....

Euro is just around the corner.

Which is gibberish.

Anyway....gone on for long enoughsmile.png .

It is, but it wouldn't be if he meant the European Championship is around the corner! The ' would be there instead of pean Championship.wink.png

sad.png Agreed. Gone on too long.

The list of potential new England managers has been reduced by one more today, after Guus Hiddink opted to become manager of Russian moneybags club Anzhi Makhachkala. Hiddink, who publically declared his interest in the vacant England post, beat a host of other names to the job in Russia, including the recently departed England coach Fabio Capello. Arsenal and Chelsea were also rumoured to be in the hunt for the highly rated Dutchman.

I thought he would have made a good manager myself. I guess that with all the candidates going elsewhere it seems more and more likely that Harry will get the England job as I highly doubt that he would stay at Spurs and ignore his nation.

Was listening to fighting talk last week and there was a bit where they were talking about some venn diagram that the FA apparently have.

English, in a specific age bracket and with the relevant experience.

The only man who fits all of those criteria is..............................

STEVE MCLAREN! rofl.gifworship[1].gifrofl.gifworship[1].gif

How his England career went down the pan!

Also I do feel that we should have an English manager provided that there is one available that could do the job right. I would rather have a foreign manager that can lead England to success than have an English born manager that fails to get us into the major competitions - but maybe that's just me.

Last word on Cuntello but do you realize this individual 'earned' HA!, In the region of £20,000,000 +, That's Over Twenty Million Pounds, Shilling and Pence for his time as national team manager, and in that time apart from a couple of standout victories (over opposition in meaningless games that weren't really making that much of an effort to win), turned English soccer into an embarrassment and at times, circus show

It defies logic, we could work until we drop in our respective jobs and put in some pride or effort and get salaries of a sum total that would not even be close to what that boring old prick ran off with, It really does get my back up sometimes

If you're going to pay a team manager obscene and astronomical salaries then at least have them justify their earnings, that horrible old fuck just played everyone for mugs and now has some obscene money in his accounts, probably laughing all the way to the bank no doubt, his best Victory as England team coach was for himself, a personal honor, not what he achieved in the way of sports entertainment

At least we won't see his face blown up on the back of every english speaking tabloid rag when the next tourney comes around, it is indeed something of a relief. If they're going to go with Redknapp that would make sense, he must be the peoples choice, regardless of domestic differences. Whether all this manager comings and goings has any effect on this summers rounds remains to be seen, but I feel the issue is irrelevant, there are plenty of other European sides head and shoulders above the english in terms of all round ability, It's an almost certainty they will fall sooner or later, bottom line is, they are simply not good enough to be credible contenders. That's all I have to say on the issue

I can't see many people being happy with this - cries of Roy Hodgson for the England job?

If he wasn't cut out for the Liverpool post I don't know how he would handle leading the nation, it's not as bad as Steve McLaren but surely we could do better than Roy.

Hodgson has managed all over the world, from Bristol City to Malmo, Inter Milan to the United Arab Emirates. He has won numerous league titles in different countries, has reached two European Cup finals and was the recipient of the LMA Manager of the Year in 2010.

(http://blogs.indepen...-a-club-of-one/)

For example, if he'd spent £35million on Carroll, £20million on Henderson etc he'd have been crucified.

Anyone would have done, the only reason that the supporters let it slide was because Dalglish was in charge at the time. I do believe that he could do alright as England manager but I highly doubt that he would be able to get us to win anything. As the article says he worked wonders with the likes of Finland and Switzerland but I just can't see him getting us to the Euro 2012 final.

For all I dislike Harry I think he would do much better.

Also, me and my Dad can't remember; Was Hodgson sakced as Liverpool manager or did he walk before he was pushed?

Anyone would have done, the only reason that the supporters let it slide was because Dalglish was in charge at the time. I do believe that he could do alright as England manager but I highly doubt that he would be able to get us to win anything. As the article says he worked wonders with the likes of Finland and Switzerland but I just can't see him getting us to the Euro 2012 final.

For all I dislike Harry I think he would do much better.

Also, me and my Dad can't remember; Was Hodgson sakced as Liverpool manager or did he walk before he was pushed?

I can't see ANYONE getting us to the final, so that's not a slight on Hodgson. The fact is we don't have the players to get us there, we're just not good enough.

I think he was sacked.

Hodgson is a much better manager than Harry. Apparently Redknapp tells the players jus go out and play football, his wheelin' and dealin' is his main strength which is useless as a national manager.

That may be Pete but isn't it all about managing 22 multi millionaires with an ego? Sometimes an arm around the shoulder works better than a kick up the arse!

That may be Pete but isn't it all about managing 22 multi millionaires with an ego? Sometimes an arm around the shoulder works better than a kick up the arse!

I think that would be closer to Hodgson's approach. Harry has his favourites that he bigs up, but then freezes the rest out. There's the danger he'll have a bias for Lampard or the Spurs players like favouring Defoe over his former striker Bent as well.

The main benefactors will be the media and most probably the reason they seem to be promoting him, as Redknapp never seems to be out of the rags.

Just thought i'd put it in here, not sure if its posted else where (apologies if so)

England squad named by Stuart Pearce

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United)

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

GK's...pretty safe.

Am i right in thinking, he's got potentially 4 right backs? And in my opinion not one dominant Centre Back? Cahill and Smalling are 'good' players but are they international level....? I'm not sure...

Midfield looks alright...

Forwards...am i right in thinking that Sturridge, Wellbeck and Campbell are all a similar 'type' of player. General all rounders, attack minded, not incredibly skillful (imo), average height, weight, nothing 'unique' or 'special' about their ability...? Is that a dangerous game? Bent and Rooney are musts, Sturridge is more justifiable than the other two...i think we're looking short up top...