IGNORED

Fellaini better than Gerrard?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might play in the same position but they are very different players in my opinion. Gerrard is a lot better than Fellaini at shooting from long range and scoring whilst Fellaini is a lot better at bringing the ball down and laying it off to a man. If you want someone that is going to grab you lots of goals then I'd say that Steven Gerrard is a better player. If you're looking for someone that can defend really well whilst also creating chances up top then you need to be looking at Marouane.

They are two very different footballers IMO and it's very hard to say which one is 'better'.

Wouldn't swap.

Neither would I.

Here is some stats for people that are interested;

Steven Gerrard has made 399 league appearances for Liverpool scoring a total of 86 goals. He's played for England 90 times scoring 19 goals. By comparison Marouane Fellaini has made 94 league appearances for Everton and scored 12 goals. He's played for Belgium 32 times and scored 5 goals. His record at his old club Standard Liege was 9 goals in 64 appearances.

Steven Gerrard is 30 whereas Marouane Fellaini is 24.

I'm still sitting on the fence with this one but I'd rather have Fellaini in my team.

Gerrard is how a modern midfielder should be, he has had his time and what a time it was. Only a lack of ambition will see him not reach the heights of true greatness, imagine him with Milan 2003- 2007 or a Madrid team. Not good enough for Barca but their game would not suit him either. We will have a battle to hold on to Felli, I kid you not because he is going to be the Rolls-Royce of defensive midfield players.

Gerrard is in my mind one of the best all round midfielders I've seen in the prem.

Fellaini is good at what he is good at - breaking up play. Gerrard has been good at everything. Gerrard has been the complete midfielder.

Fellaini if he continues to improve can be an everton great, but comparitively not many live with gerrard.

As said Gerrard is a complete midfielder and loyalties aside you can not deny the bloke is a class footballer and in his prime as Jona says could have played for nearly any great team at their peak.

Mo has time to develop still and as long as he stays injury free and keeps his head down could potentially become a world class DM but they will always be a totally different players. I'd love to have seen both at their peak in the same side.

At present I'd rather have Mo.....

I sound like a broken record on Gerrard, but I really struggle to see how anyone outside the deluded club over the park rates Gerrard. His best attribute is his long shots, that look good when they go in, but isn't very often for the amount of efforts he has.

There's a myth he can tackle, he's below average by premiership standards, same goes for his passing. Next to Alonso it really stood out how far behind world class he is, with his passing being more Phil Neville-esque with floated balls to the corner flag. When he was playing box-to-box he never stopped, but now thats gone and he's never been blessed with pace. Ultimately a player who's reputation is immensely bigger than his talent, and is only over-shadowed by his ego.

Head-to-Head with Fellaini would be a very one sided contest. Kevin Davies would be better comparison for Gerrard now, and Henderson is the closest player to the young (jack of all trades little bit shit at everything, master of non hit and hopes) Gerrard.

If he'd played for Bolton I doubt people would even talk as him being as good as Davies. Liverpool fans said Gerrard was the best midfielder int he world, and Sissoko was the best defensive mid, then he was shit cos they got Mascherano and he was the best. They only acknowledged Alonso the only WC midfielder after he left, they all wanted Barry. Going a bit west here but basically I'm trying to say Gerrard is a WC player whilst the kopites deem so, with the only basis on he wears a red shirt.

I think Gerrard like several managers and other midfielders has had to carry the burden of a certain Frank Lampard.

Against Germany where we beat them 5-1 - Gerrard partnered Scholes in midfield - yes, he did partner lampard in the 5-1 win over Croatia - but Barry was employed to do the donkey work.

Many a player have said Gerrard is the best midfielder they've played with or against - as much as I dislike Liverpool I really can't create and argument to counter that. How many of us were crossing our fingers when Chelsea came close to getting him? - why is that? exactly.

maybe playing with players like mascherano in midfield made him look better? you can use that argument either way...he looked worse with lampard he looked better with mascherano/barry...if he was so good i just feel he'd have stamped his authority on that england side..and he never has

Gerrard is declining as a footballer now, but even as an RS, his base talent is world class. If you take the power and pace of Gareth Bale, the anticipation and attacking instinct of Paul Scholes, the long range shooting ability of Frank Lampard, and the professionalism of Ryan Giggs, take 80-90% of each of those attributes, put them into one player, and you have yourself one Stevie G laaaaaa.

Having said that, Fellaini is a class act. His skill, technique and ball control is incredibly under-rated, and his tackling and reading of the game are solid. His aerial threat is an added bonus. If he can continue to refine his anticipation, and introduce a bit more grit and hard-tackling to his game, he will become a top class Premiership defensive midfielder. If, on top of that, he can manage to have a bit more confidence in the box, and just outside it, and take some more shots on, he could be our own Gerrard. The main thing lacking in Fellaini in my opinion is leadership. You never see Felli bring the ball forward, or rally the troops if we're struggling.

Overall, I think Fellaini has some top qualities, and is just a few ingredients off being the type of player you want to build your entire squad around. I wouldn't swap him for Gerrard either, but I can't really see Felli ever becoming the same kind of complete midfielder that Stevie G has been and still is to some extent.

If you were in the business of buying a player today, surely the question is what can that player do for me know and over the next 3 years or so.In that case you would buy Fellaini.

Over the past few years Gerrard has been liverpool, to be honest what would they have done without him in his prime?

Fellaini is slightly handicapped in that he is likely to me in a midfield with the likes of Gibson, Neville and Cahill etc, Gerrard on the other hand has had ( partly due to liverpool paying probably on average £20,000 more per week) better midfield players around him, thus creating more space.The trade mark Gerrard surge forward followed by either a rasping shot or a slight dink of the ball to a highly paid striker, would that have been possible with opponents marking him closer?....better players around you creates space, maybe makes you look better.

Gerrard was class....with a bit of luck Fellaini will be! (he isn't as good as Gerrard in his prime).

Fellaini in a better team with players around him to give him space and time would be awesome.

Gerrard will struggle for a first team place next season, unless the rs are happy with mid-table.

I think to normalise this comparison you need to go back 7 years in the case of Gerrard vs Fellaini. Gerrard is 31 - Felli 24.

In 2005 Gerrard more or less single handedly inspired that lot to a Champions league win - the following season being voted PFA player of the year - he came 3rd in the ballon d'or... at this moment Fellaini is not that player.

I understand the love many of you have for Fellaini - personally I want to see more from him before we even get into Gerrard comparisons. I don't think he will achieve that level purely from the view point that he is never going to get games by the scruff of the neck - make defense splitting passes, crack shots in from 30 yards, scream at team mates like neville who treat the ball like a hot potato. He will continue to spoil the other teams play, and quietly just go about business, which is what he doers well.

Personally I think Ross Barkley is more likely to be our Gerrard in waiting.

sorry...professionalism? the man is the biggest hypocrite in football...i seriously hope you were taking the piss when you said professionalism...

In what sense is he a hypocrite? He dives, I won't argue with you there, but he's been fully committed to his job for club and country throughout his entire career. He doesn't make the wrong headlines like John Terry, Mario Balotelli, Ashley Cole etc. That's what I mean by professionalism.

Guest blueboy122

I totally agree within regards to him diving around he should be embarresed and the way that he gets in referee's faces is just shambolic same as the whole of the Liverpool team to be honest. But within regards to the assault incident, I disagree he was obviosuly goaded into wacking the bloke one but you have to see both sides, yes violence can not be tolerated and all the rest of it but from what I have read in articles about the assault the DJ was a manc and I can fully imagine what he would have been saying to Gerrard and his mates. I suppose I would be a hypocrite if I was to say I wish Gerrard hit him harder. Cant believe I am actually defending Gerrard as I cant stand him personally but admire so much as a footballer. Fellani is light years away from Gerrard, even though I do rate Maroune highley Gerrard is in a different league. If we could have had any player in there prime mine would have been Gerrard ahead of the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Henry, Vieria etc.

Edited by blueboy122

I sound like a broken record on Gerrard, but I really struggle to see how anyone outside the deluded club over the park rates Gerrard. His best attribute is his long shots, that look good when they go in, but isn't very often for the amount of efforts he has. There's a myth he can tackle, he's below average by premiership standards, same goes for his passing. Next to Alonso it really stood out how far behind world class he is, with his passing being more Phil Neville-esque with floated balls to the corner flag. When he was playing box-to-box he never stopped, but now thats gone and he's never been blessed with pace. Ultimately a player who's reputation is immensely bigger than his talent, and is only over-shadowed by his ego. Head-to-Head with Fellaini would be a very one sided contest. Kevin Davies would be better comparison for Gerrard now,

far wrong there...hate the guts of him but theres no better center mid in his prime in years and thats coming from a blue

fellaini i have always said is our best player by a mile but he isnt as much as an all rounder much prefer him in the hole not getting long balls lumped up to him.