IGNORED

Football Trivia Question of the Day (II)

THFC6061

I think Crystal Palace had a player years ago that did well, but can't remember his name.

Gudjohnsen at Chelsea has to be up there, surely.

Can't think of anyone else so we'll go with two players.

Just one - Swansea City's Gylfi Sigurdsson who was nominated for March 2012.

Saturday 7th April 2012:

Which four goalkeepers have scored Premier League goals?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timmy Howard of course, I think Van Der Sar years ago if memory serves, took a penalty, possibly Schmichael too at United, he must have done at some stage in his career, I remember what's his name ?, -Friedel, also at some point in time doing this feat, not sure about who else, maybe Seaman at Arsenal, that just rings a bell for some reason, haven't done too well here but at least got one answer correct. mellow.png

Brad Friedel whilst playing for Blackburn Rovers

Paul Robinson whilst playing for Leeds United & Tottenham Hotspur

Peter Schmeichel whilst playing for Aston Villa

Tim Howard whilst playing for Everton

Yes, Peter Schmeichel (Everton 3–2 Aston Villa, 20 October 2001), Brad Friedel (Charlton Athletic 3–2 Blackburn Rovers, 21 February 2004), Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur 3–1 Watford, 17 March 2007) and Tim Howard (Everton 1–2 Bolton Wanderers, 4 January 2012).

Sunday 8th April 2012:

Who was the only player to score for both teams in a FIFA World Cup Finals tournament game?

Eh, what's with the new thread? Or why close the old one down even. unsure.png

Not sure I understand the question even. Are you telling me in the history of the World Cup tourney since 1930,. only one player has scored an own goal and for his own side on the same day of fixture, that's a bit far fetched isn't it.

Unless of course it means an actual World Cup Final but I don't remember such an instance.

I really can't remember such a thing and there must be dozens of examples, I was thinking maybe Algeria or Kuwait or something, but I really can't think right now.

Eh, what's with the new thread? Or why close the old one down even. unsure.png

Not sure I understand the question even. Are you telling me in the history of the World Cup tourney since 1930,. only one player has scored an own goal and for his own side on the same day of fixture, that's a bit far fetched isn't it.

Unless of course it means an actual World Cup Final but I don't remember such an instance.

I really can't remember such a thing and there must be dozens of examples, I was thinking maybe Algeria or Kuwait or something, but I really can't think right now.

Yes, it's only ever happened once.

Netherland's Ernie Brandts (1978 own goal v Italy 18th minute, goal 50th minute).

FIFA World Cup Finals 1978 Argentina

Easter Monday 9th April 2012:

Which two venues outside London were used for football during the 1948 Olympic Games?

Test

I really don't know.

Maybe Villa Park Birmingham and Hillsborough, Sheffield but just stabs in the dark here.

No, they were closer to London - Brighton's Goldstone Ground and Portsmouth's Fratton Park. Nine different venues inside London were also used.

Tuesday 10th April 2012:

Which three footballers from Chile have played in the 2011-12 Premier League season?

Jara, West Bromwich Albion

Beausejour, Wigan

Pizzaro, Manchester City

Points please

Spot-on!

Jean Beausejour (Wigan Athletic), Gonzalo Jara (West Bromwich Albion) and David Pizarro (Manchester City).

Wednesday 11th April 2012:

Which Nation has participated in the most men's Olympic Games Football Tournaments?

See, more than one question a day.

I don't know about this, I went with France initially for some reason.

Italy has competed in 15 men's Olympic Finals Tournaments. The United States is second with 14 and France & Brazil have competed in 12 each.

Olympic Games Men's Football Tournament Participation 1900-2012

Thursday 12th April 2012:

Which three clubs were Champions of the Football Alliance from season 1889-90 to 1891-92?

I think that the three clubs could have been The Royal Engineers, Wanderers and Nottingham Forest. But I am only guessing.

One out of three.

The Wednesday (1889-90), Stoke (1890-91) and Nottingham Forest (1891-92).

The Football Alliance formed the Football League 2nd Division in 1892-93.

Friday 13th April 2012:

Which are the only five Nations to win Olympic Games Women's Football Medals since 1996?

Yesterday, actually, twice in one day by my math.

Like Mike said he asks one question a day on each morning that he visits the forum. It's not even a problem if he does ask more than one a day because at least its providing some enjoyment to the forums visitors - I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The very best of luck today at Wembley, lads!

Hopefully, we'll meet each other in May!

Friday's answer: United States (3 Gold, 1 Silver), Norway (1 Gold, 1 Bronze), Brazil (2 Silver), China (1 Silver) and Germany (3 Bronze).

Saturday 14th April 2012:

Which two players affiliated with Hull City at the time participated in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Finals?

No, we won't be meeting in May.. mellow.png

It wasn't Barmby for sure, was one of them Altidore maybe, and Garcia too I should think, the Australian. These questions are too tricky sometimes.

Yes, Jozy Altidore (United States) and Richard Garcia (Australia).

Sunday 15th April 2012:

Which South American country is without a win so far in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers?

Got to be Venezuela hasn't it, I mean they simply are awful at soccer, and always seem to be the worst of the South American qualifiers.

No offense anyone reading in Caracas or anything.. unsure.png

Bolivia haven't won a match yet. The eight other participating teams have all won at least one match and Brazil are exempt as the 2014 Host Nation.

FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Qualification Competition South America

Monday 16th April 2012:

Which was the only club from the Fourth Flight of English Football to reach a League Cup Final?

Probably Rotherham in either 1961,1962 when it first started, but not 100 percent on that

QPR won in '67 when they were a third division side but I can't remember any lower league examples apart from the first answer.

Rochdale, who lost 4-0 on aggregate to Norwich City in Season 1961-62.

Football League (Carling) Cup Final Statistics 1960-61 to 2011-12

Tuesday 17th April 2012:

Which three members of Argentina's Olympic Gold Medal Winning team of 2008 played in the English Premier League?

Rotherham was the year before, I knew they were in it, really thought it was them.

Not sure about the south american one, maybe Tevez, Mascherano, and I don't know who else actually. Oh Augero at Manchester City maybe, but not sure about him.

Yes, Pablo Zabaleta, Javier Mascherano and Sergio Aguero.

Olympic Games Football Tournament Beijing 2008

Wednesday 18th April 2012:

Which is the only club to have won the Asian AFC Champions League or its predecessors three times?

I'll be quick, have no idea, maybe Grampus Eight maybe, it covers Japan surely,

There's also a club called something red diamonds but all at sea here, could you do us a favor and make the questions a little less testing maybe.

Pohang Steelers of South Korea in 1997, 1998 and 2009.

AFC Asian Champions League Finals 1967-2012

Thursday 19th April 2012:

Which two Brazilian players have scored English Premier League Hat-Tricks?