IGNORED

Independence Day

I'm probably ahead of others as I live in the UK now and it's still Tuesday over there as of now, but today is once again the Fourth of July and for any TT participants around also from the US, best wishes and hope you have a good time. Would like to be back for the celebrations but the damn weather is intolerable in some parts at the moment where we visit.

For all other American members and users, stay cool and enjoy the day. Hope everyone has a good time etc.

American-Flag-animated.gif

Edited by Dalziel Kane

Happy Fourth! Plan on celebrating with some drinks and friends. God Bless the USA! afro2.gif

from Mississippi, and it's unbelievably hot. It's supposed to be a high of 97 F (36 C) -- unfortunately there is a burn-ban due to a lack of rain, so no fireworks this time.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Yes we will enjoy our day and have a few drinks on the back of it, you can be sure of that

The weather has been quite intolerable today but back home it's around 95 degrees right now, far too hot for some, and some casualties because of it, damn well can only hope it will pass over soon enough. Happy July 4th once again to all involved, already got the flag flying outdoors

A question for our American folks regarding the American War of Independence.

I read that the war was originally because of Taxes levied on the people who lived there? Is this right? I ask because I also read that the tax was levied to fund the military to defend the colony from French Republicans.

Seems ironic if true that the USA has one of the most powerful (probably the Most powerful) militaries in the world that is funded by taxes. And USA is a republic now itself.

I have no idea if any of this is true, it is just snippets of info that have come my way over the years.

Edited by Rubecula

A question for our American folks regarding the American War of Independence.

I read that the war was originally because of Taxes levied on the people who lived there? Is this right? I ask because I also read that the tax was levied to fund the military to defend the colony from French Republicans.

Seems ironic if true that the USA has one of the most powerful (probably the Most powerful) militaries in the world that is funded by taxes. And USA is a republic now itself.

I have no idea if any of this is true, it is just snippets of info that have come my way over the years.

Yes indeed! The problem was that the British were increasing taxes without the consent of the individual colonies, hence, "No taxation without representation." There were other issues of course, with taxation being one of the more heated ones.

Basically, the colonies were doing all the work and the British were taking all the money/resources.

From the experience I have, most Americans actually don't support the current wars overseas. However, we (the government) want the resources from those countries -- so you're right regarding the irony of the situation, and I would say most - if not all - government programs are funded by taxes.

Soloman Islands, what the fuck is that all about, this is supposed to be about the United States?

Quinn31, I've been to Atlanta, it's a nice place, but I wouldn;t fancy living there, best places to reside in Georgia would be Savannah or Marietta from previous experienes.

God bless America...

• 11 months later...

Are you kidding me. A whole damn year has passed since this.

must have been a decent night out from the last response a year ago, and the weather was quite extraordinary in actual fact I can recall.

Point being, it's only once a year, we have a significant proportion of other american participants on these pages, Canada Day didn't get a look in, but here at least is something worth celebrating. Needless to say, going out later today and looking forward to it already and hope other respective relevant members enjoy themselves with whatever they do. Say it again, it's a nationality I wouldn't swap with anything else despite how some outsiders view us. (You can see the relevant thread on that issue) but still feeling proud about today.

If I start a new one, I run the risk of attention whoring, so what the fuck would you do. Incidentally, you've inaugurated about six new threads in the last 48 hours by the way. And do me a favor and don't refer to this name as 'lad'. It's a little unsavory

No harm done, no need for disputes, everything's fine and dandy, no fallouts etc, but I always try to straighten things out - whether people deem them as right or wrong.

This is supposed to be a time of celebration, so no sense in argument, but Yes will endeavor to have another day to remember this time around. (If only I could remember what occured last year)

It's far too late this end so calling it a night, as rest will be imperative for tomorrow.

If I start a new one, I run the risk of attention whoring, so what the fuck would you do. Incidentally, you've inaugurated about six new threads in the last 48 hours by the way. And do me a favor and don't refer to this name as 'lad'. It's a little unsavory

No harm done, no need for disputes, everything's fine and dandy, no fallouts etc, but I always try to straighten things out - whether people deem them as right or wrong.

This is supposed to be a time of celebration, so no sense in argument, but Yes will endeavor to have another day to remember this time around. (If only I could remember what occured last year)

It's far too late this end so calling it a night, as rest will be imperative for tomorrow.

Can't you ever just take things at face value as being friendly and quit being a jerk over everything? :dont know:

Folk from Liverpool call people lad, and this is an Everton forum, which happens to be a Liverpool based club. It's becoming unnecessarily difficult trying to talk to you. Lighten up.

enjoy your day, rebels :shaking fist:

my wife talked me into having a 4th July bbq (on Saturday because of work). Im thinking of wearing my England shirt and drinking tea all day...

We used to go to the Burtonwood Air Base years ago, and it was a great day. Enormous barby tents and beer tents, and lots of entertainment. Hope the weather stays ok for those celebrating.

We used to go to the Burtonwood Air Base years ago, and it was a great day. Enormous barby tents and beer tents, and lots of entertainment. Hope the weather stays ok for those celebrating.

I live there. Was speaking to my neighbour about it recently actually, and the American history behind it is really quite interesting.

I live there. Was speaking to my neighbour about it recently actually, and the American history behind it is really quite interesting.

At the actual base itself, or the area?

I'm probably going back at least 25 years since the last time we went there, as they either stopped doing the day, or our ticket supply dried up etc. It might even be 30 years, although we must have looked old enough to get beer from the tent. I think my Aunty worked there at some point hence the freebies. Isn't there a housing estate up that way that was built solely for workers of a plant, or mine etc?

Well that's another year out the way. Admittedly not as good as last year but still a memorable few hours spent.

Still maintain, it's not a nationality I would swap with any other, despite how some perceive us. Tonight was a great honor, as always.

Oh, say can you see, by the dawns early light, What so proudly we hailed, at the twilights last gleaming..

Apologies. Couldn't fucking resist it. But only once a year, so a bit of license for anything that goes. Got to say, can't believe how quickly the time passes.

At the actual base itself, or the area?

I'm probably going back at least 25 years since the last time we went there, as they either stopped doing the day, or our ticket supply dried up etc. It might even be 30 years, although we must have looked old enough to get beer from the tent. I think my Aunty worked there at some point hence the freebies. Isn't there a housing estate up that way that was built solely for workers of a plant, or mine etc?

Well apparently the base was so large, a vast majority of Warrington is built on it. Was one of, if not the biggest in Europe at some point. The base obviously no longer exists, but i think the part that was left your referring to does now have a new housing estate there, which is about 2 minute walk from me, but thats all very new and modern and is a good 20-30 minute drive from the plant. Dont know if thats what your referring too? There was 2 huge hangars that you could see as you passed Junction 9 on the M62, but i think they were demolished about 5 years ago now. There is nothing physically left of the base, only geographically really. Rumour is, the reason there is so many Duck ponds around my way is because they were created by holes from Bomb testing, no idea how true that is like, but i've got 3 i could walk to in less than a minute from my house :lol:

My Neighbour was saying as a kid, he used to go onto the base to ride bikes etc, and there used to be rows and rows of abandoned Army Vehicle's and supplies etc. I think the last "real" part of the base was demolished a couple of years before i was born.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

I've never understood patriotism or why people are proud to have been born in a certain part of the world, wherever that may be. Include my own country of birth, England, in there along with every other.

Americans are worst for it but it's not their fault and not every American buys into it. It's only because of conditioning and the nonsense they've been fed and believed during their formative years, but in their case to a level way beyond that of other countries or areas of countries, coupled with their reluctance to acknowledge and learn about life outside their borders during the same years.

Tell yourself or be told something often enough you will eventually end up believing it, however unreal it may be.

The only creditable thing Americans can have pride in or give thanks for is not the design on a flag or in a song it is that they landed on the moon. It is an amazing achievement to land on something which is made of cheese.

I didn't even sing The Star Spangled Banner at any time last night, so it must have been a poor fucking night. Wasn't as eventful as last year for sure.

To the last response, patriotism is wherever you find it. The English are proud of their heritage and war fighting endeavors (even if you did need assistance from us on one or two occasions) but then again don't celebrate much on the Saint George's Day in April while Saint Patricks is usually ten times the event, and celebrated not only in the Republic of Ireland but widely overseas.

Once again, being proud of your country if up to any one individual, it's no mandatory obligation regardless of whatever your birthplace. Not all americans are as proud of their heritage / nation as one would believe, but then again, that principle applies equally to any respective nation.

Many believe the Moon Landings to be a fabricated event incidentally but even then the Russians got into space before we ever did.

Well apparently the base was so large, a vast majority of Warrington is built on it. Was one of, if not the biggest in Europe at some point. The base obviously no longer exists, but i think the part that was left your referring to does now have a new housing estate there, which is about 2 minute walk from me, but thats all very new and modern and is a good 20-30 minute drive from the plant. Dont know if thats what your referring too? There was 2 huge hangars that you could see as you passed Junction 9 on the M62, but i think they were demolished about 5 years ago now. There is nothing physically left of the base, only geographically really. Rumour is, the reason there is so many Duck ponds around my way is because they were created by holes from Bomb testing, no idea how true that is like, but i've got 3 i could walk to in less than a minute from my house :lol:

My Neighbour was saying as a kid, he used to go onto the base to ride bikes etc, and there used to be rows and rows of abandoned Army Vehicle's and supplies etc. I think the last "real" part of the base was demolished a couple of years before i was born.

I had no idea it had gone to be honest.

It makes sense now you mention the hangars as I used to see a sign for something or other on the hangar. The housing estate I'm not sure. I just remember it all looking exactly the same. It's ossible it could have been built for the miners nearer to St Helens, so I might be a bit out with my geographical memory.

• 2 years later...