IGNORED

Last signing we made that excited you?

I have to say the last player we bought when I thought this guy is quality international and got some big club experience was Jonny H. I am not overlooking jelavic as he was a gamble that so far has paid off.

But Jonny H was the last of the signings we made on the front foot to improve the team.

I remember hearing that we were looking to get Royston Drenthe on loan from Real Madrid on the morning of the close of the transfer window.

Maybe more from his reputation, rather than seeing him play, I actually didn't think we'd be able to get him.

But get him we did. Pity he didn't live up to that reputation!

I'm feeling quite tired and was thinking back to years past rather than recent signings, such as Cottee, Ferguson or even Peter Beardsley. All fairly successful players, who scored some vital goals and I was quite excited about them all. When we brought in Radzinski from Anderlecht I think it was, I was quite hopeful, had seem him do some good things and thought we could have quite a player there. Bit skeptical with Jelavic at first, but he has shown what a fine player he is, and I'm quietly confident for him again next season. I remember one player we almost signed in the summer of 1997 I think it was, was Ravanelli, I would have loved to have seen him at Goodison, speculation went on for a while, but in the end it came to nothing, I was genuinely disappointed at the time. This was around the time we also tried to lure Andy Gray back as manager after Royle's departure, but he decided to stay with Sky Television. Other signings I remember that excited were Maurice Johnston, Paul Gascgoine and Mark Hughes to name but a few.

Saha was a crock, that was my concern and the reason I didn't get overly excited with him.

Fellaini makes my desk wobble, every time he steps out in the royal blue jersey but prior to him being spectacular, I only had the Liverpool - Leige game to go off. He looked promising, didn't realise how good he could be.

I'll embarrassingly admit, I was excited about van der meyde prior to him playing, coming from Inter, scoring THAT goal against Arsenal (!?), I was buzzin. What a bump to earth that signing was.

Who else...not sure really? Probably Yak as well.

Really excited, like "he is going to be absolute class and I know it" = andrei kanchelskis. Since him we had our record broken with Beattie, aj, yak, and felli but kanchelskis was proven quality and exciting to boot.

Me too, massive leap forward in terms of the quality we were able to attract.

Heitinga was the main one for me. Had always been touted as one of the golden generation of Dutch players and a mainstay of the national team from a young age.

Similarly Drenthe based on the hype from his u21 days.

From a bit earlier, I would probably say Kanchelskis and Limpar. Both quality and exciting players.

Bit of a strange one but the last signing I got excited about was James Beattie. He was on fine form for Southampton and I thought he could be a class striker for us, sadly he never lived up to the potential but I do think that he was a decent player for us, I'd be excited by signing someone like Dempsey but I don't think that that's going to happen anymore...

So yeah, James Beattie.

Bit of a strange one but the last signing I got excited about was James Beattie. He was on fine form for Southampton and I thought he could be a class striker for us, sadly he never lived up to the potential but I do think that he was a decent player for us, I'd be excited by signing someone like Dempsey but I don't think that that's going to happen anymore...

So yeah, James Beattie.

i liked beattie..and that goal against fulham was one of the best i've ever seen..if a 'big' player had scored that we'd still be hearing about it

i liked beattie..and that goal against fulham was one of the best i've ever seen..if a 'big' player had scored that we'd still be hearing about it

Had that goal in mind at the time of writing that post, it's a wonderful finish.