IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

How can Manchester City be our rivals? Certainly not in terms of (expected) league accomplishments this season, as they'll either be league champs again or second or third place at the very least. Everton won't be a part of that, and I expect a 6th or 7th place finish in all honesty, so they're not really placing rivals so to speak, that can be reserved for teams like Spurs or even Chelsea this season. Or even Newcastle again, teams that maybe won't win any league honors but will be involved in the fight for a Euro place or top six finish. Furthermore, I would ideally want any team that plays Liverpool to beat them, even the plastics now. Lesser of two evils really.

Fenerbahce 1 - 1 Spartak Moscow so Spartak will be in the Champions League. Yobo played the full 90 minutes, Bily got subbed into the game after 67 minutes. Bily did well, Yobo really gave the ball away a lot with bad long passes in those final minutes when they were chasing the goal that would take them to overtime.

How can Manchester City be our rivals? Certainly not in terms of (expected) league accomplishments this season, as they'll either be league champs again or second or third place at the very least. Everton won't be a part of that, and I expect a 6th or 7th place finish in all honesty, so they're not really placing rivals so to speak, that can be reserved for teams like Spurs or even Chelsea this season. Or even Newcastle again, teams that maybe won't win any league honors but will be involved in the fight for a Euro place or top six finish. Furthermore, I would ideally want any team that plays Liverpool to beat them, even the plastics now. Lesser of two evils really.

Opinions and more opinions. I'm confident we have a team good enough to challenge the top 4 this season. Arsenal are severely weakened having lost Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie etc so I don't see them being a serious threat to the title, nor do I see them in the top 4. We are on a high at present, while Liverpool and Spurs are dropping points. A few more weeks like that and we will have quite a lead. Newcastle must deal with Europe, and I think we are a better team when both are on form, and much more experienced. When City have won the league a few more times, then I'll put them on a higher level than everybody else, but as it is, we are still rivals, if you base it on expectations for the season. We haven't just been playing well for 3 games, but for much of last season too, so it's time to be positive. City would hate to play us at the moment.

Of course we want Everton to beat any, and all opposition we encounter, if only it was that simple, but the thing is, if there is a choice between one team and another getting a result, i.e. Manchester City vs Chelsea or Liverpool vs Arsenal, I would invariably favor one over the other, it's just an inherent dislike I have for certain clubs. I'm sure that applies to a fair number of participants on these pages.

Of course we want Everton to beat any, and all opposition we encounter, if only it was that simple, but the thing is, if there is a choice between one team and another getting a result, i.e. Manchester City vs Chelsea or Liverpool vs Arsenal, I would invariably favor one over the other, it's just an inherent dislike I have for certain clubs. I'm sure that applies to a fair number of participants on these pages.

I know it's not that simple, we're obviously not going to beat them all. But, when other teams are playing each other I always want the result that most benefits Everton. So if Chelsea are playing City and a Chelsea win benefits Everton then a Chelsea win is what I want.

I would indeed go along with that, for the benefit of the club that is, but it would be a bit of a hard pill to swallow for one or two teams I genuinely dislike.

Such an instance and one prime example I could mention would be the last day in 1997/98 when we needed a point at least against Coventry City and for Chelsea to beat Bolton. In the end both came to pass, but I really would have prefered another team to have done us that favor. Beat Bolton, Yes, they had to, although a draw for them on the day against whichever opposition would have been been enough to relegate them, had we beaten Coventry that day. Sometimes, and often enough, two teams play, which does not effect Everton in the slightest, the last day Manchester derby such as one, where I clearly favor one side over the other for a result, and it was such an important fixture with so much on the line. I think that's the best case scenario for me in this debate and leave Toffees out of it, but I've been very upfront about my feelings on this.

Having some techinical difficulties, and getting late, so we can all continue this another time maybe.

Such an instance and one prime example I could mention would be the last day in 1997/98 when we needed a point at least against Coventry City and for Chelsea to beat Bolton. In the end both came to pass, but I really would have prefered another team to have done us that favor.

What was your problem with Chelsea back then? They were a long way from being the "plastics" of of recent history that you dislike so much.

That result works in our favour. 4 points ahead of Spurs, I'd of took that at the start of the season. Strongest I've ever seen the league, everyone will lose more points than usual this season. I can only see Man City and Chelsea breaking away and the rest having a free for all, hopefully QPR can get a result today and stunt City for now.