IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

No but the point is that a win tonight (looking quite likely) will take them out of the bottom three on GD even if you include the deduction, and given their recent form a good shout that they can stay up.

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m not sure but I think they will, and when they do they will stay above Hull on goal difference, also read that there is a real chance that they fold completely, which would be another sad day for English football.  

Good, what’s happened there is weird to say the least. Definitely something fishy with those owners taking over and the) pretty much putting them straight into administration. 

24 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Good, what’s happened there is weird to say the least. Definitely something fishy with those owners taking over and the) pretty much putting them straight into administration. 

I wouldn’t argue with that, shit for the thousands of supporters though there the ones I feel for. 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Thoughts on arteta after today @Bailey ;)

Haha I knew this would be coming :)

To be fair to Arsenal they gave it a good go and dominated the game, they just didn't have any creativity. They got into some really good positions wide but then did absolutely nothing with it. They reminded me of Utd pre-Hernandes.

6 minutes ago, Steve_E said:

Dominated the game is a bit much, no? Having a lot of the ball, not even coming close to scoring a goal for 90 minutes, while the other team does, isn't dominating the game.

I thought Grealish was perhaps a bit overhyped by the pundits earlier in the season, but he really is class. 

They did on the bits I saw. Villa had a couple of counters, from which one they should have scored, and Arsenal hit the post. Maybe dominating possession would have been the more accurate description. Like I said, they got into some decent positions on the pitch but did nothing with it.

As for Grealish, I agree, he is a very good player. I watched Villa at the end of last year and he stood out but you never know how well he will take to the league but he has done really well. He has toughened up and got his head in gear in a way that I am sure many of us would have hoped Barclay would have.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Haha I knew this would be coming :)

To be fair to Arsenal they gave it a good go and dominated the game, they just didn't have any creativity. They got into some really good positions wide but then did absolutely nothing with it. They reminded me of Utd pre-Hernandes.

dominated the game?  they didn't have a single shot on target the whole match!

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Honestly, Grealish just looks like a media playboy. I really don’t get it with him at all. 

is he a knob publicily though?  i thought he was rather grounded.  footballing wise he reminds me so much of what barkley was on a good day.  great free kicks, nice cutting in and shots from outside the box, and good with the ball at his feet, able to beat multiple men.  nice player.  i like him. 

13 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

is he a knob publicily though?  i thought he was rather grounded.  footballing wise he reminds me so much of what barkley was on a good day.  great free kicks, nice cutting in and shots from outside the box, and good with the ball at his feet, able to beat multiple men.  nice player.  i like him. 

No idea. Not really bothered about him looking like a playboy, just never seen anything about him to suggest he’s anything but ok. I’d even class him with Bolasie in calling him a MOTD player, though I’ll admit I’ve not seen much. 

30 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes in footballing terms, but off the pitch he's like einstein compared to ross.  ross was created to play football and not do much else sadly, he could barely make it through an interview.

He got pissed at a party during lockdown and then drove and crashed his car, and then tried to escape. Another time he was filmed inhaling laughing gas. Oh and another time he was pictured passed out in the street drunk as a skunk. So off the pitch he’s actually a bit of a cunt.

On the pitch he’s a flashy MOTD player for the most part. A luxury player and not someone I’d particularly want here.

57 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yes in footballing terms, but off the pitch he's like einstein compared to ross.  ross was created to play football and not do much else sadly, he could barely make it through an interview.

26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He got pissed at a party during lockdown and then drove and crashed his car, and then tried to escape. Another time he was filmed inhaling laughing gas. Oh and another time he was pictured passed out in the street drunk as a skunk. So off the pitch he’s actually a bit of a cunt.

On the pitch he’s a flashy MOTD player for the most part. A luxury player and not someone I’d particularly want here.

I’ll only add that I couldn’t really care less what he’s like off the pitch for the most part, it’s on it I’m interested in. unless he’s doing shit like Romey is describing, in which case he can do one. 

38 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

thanks romey didn't know that, sounds like Matt nailed it with the Barkley comparison then

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

thanks romey didn't know that, sounds like Matt nailed it with the Barkley comparison then

Ross may be dim, but he’s not that much of a dickhead! I meant more he’s got the talent but showboats too much, tries to be too clever, eyes more on the fame than the game. Again, rough interpretation based on what little I’ve seen 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

No idea. Not really bothered about him looking like a playboy, just never seen anything about him to suggest he’s anything but ok. I’d even class him with Bolasie in calling him a MOTD player, though I’ll admit I’ve not seen much. 

I've been impressed everytime I've seen him. The stats suggest he's one of the better players in the league as well:

• 12th in the league in successful dribbles,
  • 1st in total distance he's moved the ball while controlling it with his feet towards the opponent's goal,
  • 8th in expected assists, 
  • 2nd in key passes, 
  • 3rd in passes into the penalty area, 
  • 13th in amount of progressive passes,
  • 2nd in shot creating actions (passes, dribbles, drawing fouls) ...

Didn't know about the possible character issues though. Either way I don't think we'd be able to afford him, just wanted to say I think he's good. Clear level above the rest of the players on the pitch yesterday.  

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ross may be dim, but he’s not that much of a dickhead! I meant more he’s got the talent but showboats too much, tries to be too clever, eyes more on the fame than the game. Again, rough interpretation based on what little I’ve seen 

Did you forget the bar fight Barkley got into and the gang he was up against?  Lad got laid out

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Did you forget the bar fight Barkley got into and the gang he was up against?  Lad got laid out

No, but a lad getting into a bar fight (not to mention more complex aspects of the area etc) isn’t comparable with drinking and driving during a quarantine period. 

Lads let's be honest.... half these young players are dick heads.  Maddison mates sparking people at bus stops because they don't respect James and his trainers that cost more than they earn in a month.  

John Terry spent half his career getting shit cleaned up after him by fixers.  Lampard and Gerrard had their misdeameanours....

A move away from his clingons would do him good. It certainly seems to have done Ross good from a maturity perspective.

23 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

dominated the game?  they didn't have a single shot on target the whole match!

I amended my statement in the post immediately above to say possession, however you can clearly see from my post that I said they lacked creativity in the final third. They did still have a higher xG than Villa despite that.

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

Allardyce got slaughtered for that 😂

Allardyce got slaughtered for having no intent to attack other than a set piece.

• 2 weeks later...