IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Shall we keep doing this after every game 😂

Sure, if it weren’t for the ref I think it could have been a different result.  I’m still not impressed with him.  Let’s see how he does given a full campaign.  Lampard worked wonders with a squad full of youngsters.  Let’s see if arteta can get CL football with his squad next year.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Sure, if it weren’t for the ref I think it could have been a different result.  I’m still not impressed with him.  Let’s see how he does given a full campaign.  Lampard worked wonders with a squad full of youngsters.  Let’s see if arteta can get CL football with his squad next year.

I didnt see the sending off but surely you think it was a pen? 

I watched most of the first half and bar the first 10-15 mins I thought they controlled the rest of the half. 

I think Lampard has done well too but he did have a huge squad of talented players at his disposal. I'm not convinced about how good they are, yet at least. They have problems at the back and I'm not sure Lampard is the man to sort that problem. Arteta has come in half way through a season and made big improvements to one of the leakiest defences whilst Lampard has had a pre-season and a full season to sort them out but hasn't. Buying Havert and Werner is going to stop them conceding silly goals.

I would be amazed if Arteta managed to get CL football with that squad IMO. They are a group that shouldn't be good enough and its frustrating as an Everton fan to see a squad like that lift a trophy, especially when we lost to a bunch of kids. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Bye bye pep and city!!  Rudi Garcia well done.  From Roma outcast to CL semis.  Their squad is decent but he’s got them playing as a well drilled unit.  I love this so much.  Seeing smug pep foiled by a guy who was fired by Roma and labeled a has been is just too sweet!

I wanted city to win to shut the crowing red shite up

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else think this coming season could turn out to be a bit of a vintage year? 

Liverpool have barely lost in the league for the last 3 seasons.

City who struggled last season have strengthened in a key position.

Chelsea have brought in a lot of players, highly touted ones too, albeit I'm not sure they improve their weaknesses. 

Utd finished the season well and whilst I dont remember them signing anyone yet, they are looking at decent players who look a much better fit than under previous managers.

Leicester seem to be the ones struggling at the moment as the end of their season showed they need more depth and so far all they have done is sold players.

Spurs have made some curious moves and I'm not entirely sure if they will help them improve but right back is a weakness they have addressed. 

Arsenal have done really well this window, especially if they keep Aubamayang. They could be a problem if they strengthen central midfield especially now they have two new pieces of silverware in the cabinet.

Wolves also haven't strengthened but they don't strike me as a team that need to do lots of business. 

We have our first season under Ancelotti and the rumours of players coming in are in the positions we desperately need. 

I think Southampton haven't done too badly either, permanently signing KWP and a highly thought of centre back. They also finished the season really well and will be confident. 

That list is 10 sides who will all fancy their chances this season. At this point I would guess that Leicester will be the side that struggles to improve upon last season but the rest of those higher up in the list all look as though they could have big seasons.

I think that Chelsea will be dark horse for the title, there's not one person that's signed that you could argue with and given that nobody else has really done much in the circumstances, I expect them to be very close to top spot come May. 

Manchester City finally have something to motivate them domestically, so I expect them to be up there again (even more so if they sign Messi) and of course you can't write off the Shite, as much as I would want to. 

Arteta is doing a fantastic job, but I just don't think that Arsenal are good enough for a title challenge yet, back in the top four perhaps but not all the way for me - Mourinho has absolutely ruined Spurs as expected so would legitimately not rule out them being around 11th/12th at Xmas and for him to be sacked. 

On 31/08/2020 at 16:12, Zoo 2.0 said:

I think that Chelsea will be dark horse for the title, there's not one person that's signed that you could argue with and given that nobody else has really done much in the circumstances, I expect them to be very close to top spot come May. 

Manchester City finally have something to motivate them domestically, so I expect them to be up there again (even more so if they sign Messi) and of course you can't write off the Shite, as much as I would want to. 

Arteta is doing a fantastic job, but I just don't think that Arsenal are good enough for a title challenge yet, back in the top four perhaps but not all the way for me - Mourinho has absolutely ruined Spurs as expected so would legitimately not rule out them being around 11th/12th at Xmas and for him to be sacked. 

I agree on the whole. It will be interesting to see what impact Thiago Silva has at Chelsea because they conceded too many sloppy goals last season. They will score plenty but its whether they can stop them going in at the other end that will determine their chances.

Looking at the other end of the league, Newcastle have just brought in Wilson and Fraser from Bournemouth. Two shrewd signings for them in my opinion. Still shit everywhere else though!

Arsenal just completely dominated Fulham in the opening game of the season. Gabriel looked very good but Willian played ss though he had been at Arsenal his whole career. Bigger tests will come for them.

As for Fulham, with that defence if they don't get relegated Parker will have worked a miracle. I'm not sure Leno had to make a meaningful save or that they would have had an attack that would have concerned him. 

Just watched the first half of the WBA v Leicester game. 

WBA's threat comes out wide. Not sure they have much else.

Leicester's system is better than the players they have. Vardy looks undercooked at the moment but he is an elite finisher but those behind him are midtable? Tielemans is a good player, Maddison is huge for them and they will be much better when he is back and as Evans is out Ndidi is playing CB but the likes of Barnes, Praat, Gray, Perez are average. At the back Soyuncu and Evans are a good partnership and this Castagne looks OK so far but Justin is crap. 

When everyone is fit they will be a tough nut to crack but if they pick up injuries like they did at the end of last season they will struggle to have anything like the impact they had last season.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

WBA look awful 

There will only be one relegation place this season IMO, West Brom and Fulham are already out of their depth and will go straight back down - the only worry for the smaller teams in this division will be 18th. 

Not sure who will join them - West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle, Villa? But I'd be surprised if the two mentioned above manage to escape the trapdoor. 

10 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

There will only be one relegation place this season IMO, West Brom and Fulham are already out of their depth and will go straight back down - the only worry for the smaller teams in this division will be 18th. 

Not sure who will join them - West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle, Villa? But I'd be surprised if the two mentioned above manage to escape the trapdoor. 

West Ham or Newcastle please. Can't stand Newcastle and another failure for Moyes would be a thing of beauty to witness.

28 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Just look at this blatant bias. Here's the league table as shown on the BBC website. Correctly, teams are shown in order of points, then goal difference, and then alphabetical order - with one obvious exception. Look at the teams on 3 points and a goal difference of 1.

LZl2m5H.png

The league is structured based on (1) Points, (2) Goal Difference, (3) Goals Scored. 

Liverpool scored four goals whereas Crystal Palace and Everton scored one (conceding zero each). 

The table is correct, no bias. 

52 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Congratulations to the Cornish teams who progressed tonight to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup. Saltash United won an upset victory over Cirencester Town, while Truro City won away at Tadley Calleva.

i thought cup competitions were "mickey mouse" and not worth it?  why the change of thought?

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i thought cup competitions were "mickey mouse" and not worth it?  why the change of thought?

James McCarthy says hi

On a serious note ... Those teams he mentioned are do far down the pecking order that a pre season victory against a league 2 side would feel like winning the world cup. 

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Other than to visit an uncle in Essex, I barely left Cornwall until I went to university. Plymouth was just across the river and different, but Exeter was on the edge of known humanity. When Saltash United played teams like Bristol Parkway, for example, it drew a crowd. Teams from up-country are big names, and Cirencester is farther away than Bristol. :) To actually win against such teams makes you feel that you've put yourself on the map.

For teams with players who are local labourers or technicians or farm workers or bank employees or gardeners, with everyone associated with the club being a volunteer, the perspective is rather different. They're not playing in a league where the difference between 9th and 10th, for example, translates to an additional 2m pounds. People who ordinarily are "nobodies" can feel special - even for a day. This is what makes the FA Cup special: every club gets a shot at it.