IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Yep tactics worked for Utd and I thought Vidic in particular was immense. Fellaini by far the worst player on the pitch, he looked completely lost.

I thought it was actually an innovative ploy by Moyes to leave Welbeck forward on Martinez and it did the trick because he couldnt handle his pace all game. Probably the most clever in game move I have ever seen from Moyes!

Bayern were below their best though and they didnt tick at all. If Utd can keep them goalless for the first half in Munich they have a great chance because I can see these players starting to panic and they could be there for the taking. Bayern wont be as poor again though.

Guest Nikica

Mourinho trying to be smart over the Mata and Lukaku sagas is coming back to bite him - how they've missed the former's creativity and the latter's finishing in recent weeks. Hazard is a great talent but he's still developing and I don't think he's ready to carry the creative burden of a team which aspires to win the PL and reach the CL Final. Ditto Oscar.

Good result for Man United - fair play to them. However, Bayern looked to be in first gear and will probably finish the job in the Allianz. No surprise RM beat Dortmund as the latter are suffering terribly from injuries. However, I hear Dortmund could have scored two or three times. I still maintain that RM won't win the CL. Good result also for Atletico in Camp Nou - they may well fancy themselves to win the tie now. What a pass by Iniesta for Neymar's goal.

I saw the results of the EL last night - quite shocked to see Basel hammer Valencia in Switzerland - thought that would be a close tie. Evidently not.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Southampton play some great stuff.

Real quality side in my opinion. Can't believe they aren't higher than they are..

Agreed with all of that. They were great in that first half. I've seen a reasonable number of their games and they seem to outplay teams but either draw/lose. Based on the quality of their play I don't think they've done themselves justice this season in terms of translating that into points (which sounds mad as they're still pretty high up the table, but they really have played some amazing stuff at times).

Guest Nikica

What do you think of this?

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-squad-that-fergie-left-was.388040/

The general consensus seems to be option B - that their squad only needs some minor surgery. Personally I think they're deluded about how good their players actually are. Moyes is a mid-table manager, yes, but they also have major issues in the squad and Ferguson left him with numerous problems.

What are people's thoughts on this? Their fans seem to be going well OTT about today's result, even though Newcastle have been poor for weeks and have been hammered by plenty of teams. They really are being lulled into a false sense of security.

Edited by Nikica

Had a look at ticket prices for Barcelona vs Real Betis at Camp Nou, this weekend - just curious - start at 58 Euros (tiny sliver of seats way up in the Gods behind each goal) and go up to 164 Euros

Real Madrid (vs Levante?) - 215 Euros

Obscene!

Guest Nikica

Had a look at ticket prices for Barcelona vs Real Betis at Camp Nou, this weekend - just curious - start at 58 Euros (tiny sliver of seats way up in the Gods behind each goal) and go up to 164 Euros

Real Madrid (vs Levante?) - 215 Euros

Obscene!

Yep. The money in football is disgusting.

You often wonder what would happen if fans staged a mass protest and all stadia were empty for a weekend's games. You'd imagine the chairmen/presidents may panic and reduce prices for tickets, merch etc.

It's all supply and demand though, the free market. Sadly it will only get worse.

Norwich have sacked Hughton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26916661

Obviously trying to save their ass.

Norfolk outfit in peril near the wrong end of the league so as with most teams, a change of manager usually results in a (short lived) improvement and they'll most likely pull away and reach safety by end of season. Pity really, as would have liked to see them suffer a relegation.

That's where Moyes should go - Carrow Road ? Probably could do a job there in actual fact. Now's the opportunity.

Apart from Pulis replacing Holloway at Palace, I don't think any of this season's managerial changes by struggling teams have paid and in some cases, like Cardiff, seem to have the opposite effect. I think Norwich have been planning to sack Hughton for some time, but to do it now seems crazy timing. Wouldn't be shocked to see Malky Mackay back there as manager after his years as a player.

Norwich have sacked Hughton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26916661

Makes no sense at all to do it now.

They've got a huge game against Fulham next week which is winnable but then they've got to play the top 4 in their last 4 games which they're not going to get anything from anyway, never mind with a new manager.