IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Guest Nikica

Lets be honest this new "sit back and counter attack" like Moyes 4-5-1 win 1-0 system, they get found out - possession based football will win the day in the long run, its just a case of having "options" to indroduce for when teams set up against it.

Yeah. that's right. Possession football is better and - at source - more difficult to execute. After all, is it harder to break down an 8 or 9 man wall, or to run into masses of vacated space? Bayern had no option but to play that way yesterday due to the result in the first leg.

Everyone is going crazy over Ronaldo too - he scored both of his goals when the tie was over - he even almost missed his first goal, he should have put it across Neuer not to his near post (cringeworthy celebration as well).

Well done to Real Madrid, they played both legs perfectly - but they're a counter-attacking team and Atletico or Chelsea won't allow them to sit back and counter, because they'll be trying to do that themselves. I'd fancy Chelsea especially to stop RM. Bale and Ronaldo just aren't that good when they have to break teams down. Ronaldo is one of the best counter-attacking players I have seen though, fair play to him for that.

Edited by Nikica

Lets be honest this new "sit back and counter attack" like Moyes 4-5-1 win 1-0 system, they get found out - possession based football will win the day in the long run, its just a case of having "options" to indroduce for when teams set up against it.

Possession based football is on it's way out. Hence Barcelonas fall from grace. Atletico's and Madrid are playing in the new style.

Possession based football is on it's way out. Hence Barcelonas fall from grace. Atletico's and Madrid are playing in the new style.

Both styles have been around for years and years. Both have won many things over the years, and both will in future. However there should always be a plan B - not suddenly becoming Allardyce, just a few tweaks when necessary. The best coaches are adaptable :)

Edit - I'm not saying you are suggesting anyone should play like Allardyce. The above are just my general thoughts on style / coaching :)

Edited by Ant1979

Both styles have been around for years and years. Both have won many things over the years, and both will in future. However there should always be a plan B - not suddenly becoming Allardyce, just a few tweaks when necessary. The best coaches are adaptable :)

Edit - I'm not saying you are suggesting anyone should play like Allardyce. The above are just my general thoughts on style / coaching :)

Yes and it always changes because it gets worked out. The style that's now trumping the possession is drawing them teams in and catching them on the counter. It works

Didn't see the game but I read this was Chelsea's starting line-up: Schwarzer, Ivanović, Cahill, Terry, Cole, Azpilicueta; Ramires, David Luiz, Hazard, Willian; Torres.[/size]

What a complete coward Mourinho is.

Who else could he have played?

Didn't see the game but I read this was Chelsea's starting line-up: Schwarzer, Ivanović, Cahill, Terry, Cole, Azpilicueta; Ramires, David Luiz, Hazard, Willian; Torres.[/size]

What a complete coward Mourinho is.

Yeah started with 5 defenders plus Luiz at DM. Got to admit I'm glad he / they lost

Guest Nikica

No real surprise. Chelsea are an average team who can only win games by playing counter-attack football. This is why they've struggled against the likes of West Ham, Sunderland and Villa recently - they didn't attack Chelsea and leave gaps at the back. Their lack of creativity after going 3-1 down was startling. Atletico passed them off of the park in that second half.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I like Chelsea. Probably my second favourite team in England. I also like Mourinho, he goes against the grain. He's a leader not a follower.

Explain how Mourinho 'goes against the grain'? He seems very much a follower/sheep to me.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Of course he does. He's always being fined and always causing trouble. He's far from a follower.

Fair enough mate. Just different definitions - I don't really consider the way he acts as 'going against the grain' - in fact it seems like the oldest trick in the book (create a siege mentality or 'us against the world' attitude amongst your players). That sort of thing is not new and he's not as good at it as Ferguson was.

Guest Nikica

Anyone watching the Europa League in half an hour?

it will be a surprise if Sevilla don't progress in the all-Spanish semi. As for the other tie, I actually fancy Juventus to get through. They have the away goal and home advantage in the second leg - as well as the motivation of playing the final at home too.

Valencia 1-1 Sevilla

Juventus 1-0 Benfica

Edit: not sure why Val-Sev doesn't seem to be televised anywhere on British TV - not even on BT Sport who own rights to the EL. It doesn't matter anyway as I will be watching Juv-Ben on ITV 4.

Edited by Nikica

Anyone watching the Europa League in half an hour?

it will be a surprise if Sevilla don't progress in the all-Spanish semi. As for the other tie, I actually fancy Juventus to get through. They have the away goal and home advantage in the second leg - as well as the motivation of playing the final at home too.

Valencia 1-1 Sevilla

Juventus 1-0 Benfica

Edit: not sure why Val-Sev doesn't seem to be televised anywhere on British TV - not even on BT Sport who own rights to the EL. It doesn't matter anyway as I will be watching Juv-Ben on ITV 4.

I'll be watching in a bit.

Hope Juventus beat Benfica. Nasty, snides and their manager is a prick. Can't take Pirlo seriously, though, since he morphed into "The Joy of Sex" man.

Guest Nikica

I'll be watching in a bit.

Hope Juventus beat Benfica. Nasty, snides and their manager is a prick. Can't take Pirlo seriously, though, since he morphed into "The Joy of Sex" man.

Hahaha

Well, Juventus were pretty poor in the end - Benfica were fairly comfortable. Juventus will be raging that they can't win the trophy in their own stadium. Valencia unlucky in the other tie but you always run the risk of that happening if you lose the first leg 2-0.

I'm looking forward to the final. It's on my birthday but I will be watching the game rather than going out.