IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

"Not that Ronaldo or even Di Maria (bar the run for Bale's goal) were much better!"

Surprised to read that from you Bailey - Di Maria was fantastic. I actually think Bale was better than Ronaldo too, because he was at least getting involved in the game. Both were poor though.

Ronaldo just wasnt involved in the game at all so I suppose that at least Bale did get into the positions to waste his chances but they were both more or less as poor as eachother.

I found Di Maria frustrating too. He was very poor first half I thought with consistently poor deliveries and he played into the hands of Atletico. Second half Di Maria was much better and he was excellent for the winning goal so I was harsh in lumping him with the other two but I still wouldnt go as far as saying he was the best player on the pitch. My MOTM was probably Gabi, I really thought he was excellent especially in the 90mins but like a lot of his team mates, had nothing left in ET. I also think Marcelo did very well too and his introduction along with Isco added dynamism to Real's performance (something that lacked first half).

Guest Nikica

"Not that Ronaldo or even Di Maria (bar the run for Bale's goal) were much better!"

Surprised to read that from you Bailey - Di Maria was fantastic. I actually think Bale was better than Ronaldo too, because he was at least getting involved in the game. Both were poor though.

Ronaldo just wasnt involved in the game at all so I suppose that at least Bale did get into the positions to waste his chances but they were both more or less as poor as eachother.

I found Di Maria frustrating too. He was very poor first half I thought with consistently poor deliveries and he played into the hands of Atletico. Second half Di Maria was much better and he was excellent for the winning goal so I was harsh in lumping him with the other two but I still wouldnt go as far as saying he was the best player on the pitch. My MOTM was probably Gabi, I really thought he was excellent especially in the 90mins but like a lot of his team mates, had nothing left in ET. I also think Marcelo did very well too and his introduction along with Isco added dynamism to Real's performance (something that lacked first half).

Fair play ma man. I can respect what you're saying because some of Di Maria's crossing was hit and miss. The way I view it though is that I wanted Atletico to win, but every time Di Maria got the ball I was terrified (I generally have that feeling with Di Maria because I often want RM to lose). I'm a very big fan of his and his combination of incisive dribbling, crossing and sheer penetration can often be sensational. You're spot on about Gabi though - he had a fantastic game and is definitely a candidate for the player of the match. Marcelo was indeed great when he came on too. I also felt Modric and Villa were very good.

Going back to the Chelsea comparison re Atletico, I felt Atletico played some nice stuff in the middle of the park, stuff you never see from Chelsea. They just went too deep late on and it cost them.

Just read this:

"Probably not the thread for it but perhaps controversially I'd have Xavi and Iniesta above Zidane. They've got the big game ability that Zidane had and are both more consistent (Xavi especially) over the season which I think Zidane had a problem with."

"And played on better team (for both the team and the country), always on the same system. Ayway, Ronaldo has been better than all of them, if he continues like this probbaly only 5 players or so will be remembered as better than him."

I know I rant sometimes, but how can people seriously say this guy isn't overrated? Ronaldo better than those three and top 5 or 6 of all time :rofl: I honestly hate modern football fans - they're like fans of American sports (apologies to our American posters who are actually all great contributors), they are obsessed with athleticism and stats. Ronaldo can pad his goal tally all he likes but he'll never have the vision, intelligence, technique or sheer entertainment that the likes of Xavi, Zidane and Iniesta provide. They're all more talented than him but modern football fans can't see past who puts the ball in the net. The sheer disrespect shown to them, as if they're nothing compared to C Ronaldo really annoys me. The guy also said that C Ronaldo is better than Ronaldinho was. Better in terms of being a professional yes, but when it comes to sheer footballing talent Ronaldinho pisses on C Ronaldo.

Also, Xavi and Iniesta play the same system? So does Ronaldo - every team he's ever played in has to be set up to play counter-attacking football to suit his strength. He's useless in a possession style - RM, Man U and Portugal have all played pretty much the same way to get the best out of him. Nothing wrong with that but this guy is making out Ronaldo is successful in different styles. That's a lie.

Rant over.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Just seen the Luiz comments. He is a weird player in that he's pretty technically gifted but really rash and it hinders him as a player. He actually plays really well for Brazil so perhaps they want to pair him with T Silva. I agree he's worth nowhere near that though.

Guest Nikica

What's the reasoning behind that bizarre shirt though Nik?

No idea to be honest mate - we have a history of awful shirts, both home and away. The annoying thing is that the shirt would be pretty nice if it was just plain white with some red trim.

It's always tricky to judge from pre-tournament friendlies, but Nigeria don't look that great. I saw some of the American game last night and they too were pretty average against modest opposition. It will be interesting to see if they improve come the competition.

Your boy Naismith was unlucky there.

Guest Nikica

FFS, a shit deflection.

Nevin just said he thinks it might be their reserve team, so I should take that into account if true. We have still bossed it regardless. Only a friendly but more promising signs under Strachan - lots of good movement and some decent pentration.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Was a shame to lose that last minute equaliser, but overall very encouraging signs last night, albeit in a friendly against Nigeria's reserves. I hope we can maintain this level and perform well in the Euro qualifying - it will be difficult but I'm cautiously optimistic that we can finish second or third and eventually make the tournament proper.

Anyone have any idea why Estonia and Latvia played a friendly today that ended in penalty kicks? I can't even remember the last time I saw a friendly match use that stipulation outside of a video game.

I noticed that and thought it a bit strange.....don't know why they did it. Maybe as they're neighbouring countries they have a trophy to play for?

• 2 months later...

2-0 now, City getting picked to pieces

yep. that back line is reserves quality. if they had kompany, zabaleta, and demichhelis they wouldn't be down like this.

for all the people complaining about our players being rested from the WC, look at these teams. Negredo, Kompany, Sagna, Lampard, Aguero, Zabaleta, all being rested.