IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Not bothered which so will go with QPR as I work with a Derby fan and wouldn't know where to start in wanting to kill someone stakes - "Yes no absolutely", "No Yes absolutely", "Absolutely", "It depends what we do with the information once it's out there"................ and so on, and so on, and so on.........

Don't Derby hold the record for lowest number of points in top flight? Pundit Savage would also be banging on about what a great club they are when, in reality, they're nothing but sheep-shagging hillbillies.

My first wife (I'm on my third) was from Derbyshire (Chesterfield), too.

QPR it is, then! C'mon 'arry

He may have scored the winner but Bale has been truly awful tonight. His passing, his control and his final ball/shot have been pathetic for the most expensive player in World football.

Agreed, but you could argue that he redeemed himself with the winning goal.

The final scoreline really wasn't fair to Atletico.

I think it was. They tried to do to Real Madrid what everyone complained about Chelsea doing to them - not play too much football, nick a goal and then hope they could see it out. I hate Real Madrid and wanted them to lose but Atletico got what they deserved.

Slightly different in that Chelsea's squad is littered with multi-million pound talent and has the talent there to go at teams. Without arguably their 2 best players in Turan and costa I don't blame Athletico for going with that approach against another team who had 2 players on the pitch that cost more than Athletico's team two maybe 3 times over.

I'm usually all for the "no fear" approach and love to see the under dogs just go at the bigger teams but I can understand why Athletico played the way they did and I don't blame them too much.

Can't stand Madrid though and everything they stand for.

Slightly different in that Chelsea's squad is littered with multi-million pound talent and has the talent there to go at teams. Without arguably their 2 best players in Turan and costa I don't blame Athletico for going with that approach against another team who had 2 players on the pitch that cost more than Athletico's team two maybe 3 times over.

I'm usually all for the "no fear" approach and love to see the under dogs just go at the bigger teams but I can understand why Athletico played the way they did and I don't blame them too much.

Can't stand Madrid though and everything they stand for.

My point was that the result was deserved, not that they were wrong for their game plan.

But you said the result was deserved because of how they played? :huh:

Tonka said the result wasn't fair. It was fair based on the way the game went - attack v defence. You play the way Atletico did then that's the risk you take, and they got burned. I wasn't criticising the way they played, just that it was wrong to suggest it wasn't fair to Atletico that they were beaten so heavily.

In short, 4-1 was a fair reflection of the game.

Agreed, but you could argue that he redeemed himself with the winning goal.

The final scoreline really wasn't fair to Atletico.

Not for me, a lot of players could have scored that goal he is just lucky enough that Ancellotti hadnt hauled him off before that.

I think it was. They tried to do to Real Madrid what everyone complained about Chelsea doing to them - not play too much football, nick a goal and then hope they could see it out. I hate Real Madrid and wanted them to lose but Atletico got what they deserved.

Yeh they did, have to say I was a little disappointed by them. They didnt really create a chance all game and they only scored because of Casillas awful decision making. Defensively they were unreal mind you but they ran out of legs and they didnt have an outlet. The decision to start with Costa backfired because when they needed some fresh legs they had ran out of subs. I would be pissed off with him as an Atletico fan, putting his own selfish ambitions ahead of those of the club he plays for.

Simeone was a disgrace at the end as well.

Not for me, a lot of players could have scored that goal he is just lucky enough that Ancellotti hadnt hauled him off before that.

True, a lot of players could have scored that goal, but it was Bale who turned up in the right position.

In my opinion, any goal that wins a game for your team is a redeeming goal (if you're having a bad game).

Missed that, turned it off as soon as the pen went in....what did he do?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2638296/Diego-Simeone-EXPLODES-Raphael-Varane-Atletico-lose-Champions-League-final.html

I think Neville's commentary was something like "Simeone has lost it, I think he's going to punch someone" lol.

True, a lot of players could have scored that goal, but it was Bale who turned up in the right position.

In my opinion, any goal that wins a game for your team is a redeeming goal (if you're having a bad game).

Not for me, I know what your saying and I would agree that it helps but if it wasnt for Ramos he would never have got that chance and would have quite rightly taken a lot of stick for such a poor performance. Not that Ronaldo or even Di Maria (bar the run for Bale's goal) were much better!

Guest Nikica

Bale didn't redeem himself with anything. It was a relatively easy finish and the goal was 90% Di Maria. Bale was woeful all night - wrong decision making, poor shooting etc. I've heard people say 'he scored the winning goal and that's all that counts'. I hear this sort of thing from football fans often and it's the wrong way to think about football, very poor analysis. It's like these people cannot actually see that different scenarios affect the game e.g. if Ramos doesn't score that header then Bale is taking a hammering in the press. They're the same sort of people who waxed lyrical over his goals at Spurs, despite the fact Spurs needed late goals precisely because he hadn't done well in the free role for the previous 89 mins.

Di Maria was the best player on the park but the British media and their nauseating love-in with Bale has made this predictable. I've seen Di Maria receive a lower rating than Bale on some websites. Di Maria has always been a far better footballer than Bale - he simply doesn't have the marketing and hype behind him. It would be nice if players were judged on merit rather than reputation.

Ronaldo is an utter, utter cunt as well. Putting aside the fact I consider him highly overrated in the all-time debate, his shite performance last night is of no surprise to me - he does it a lot in big games. What is also of no surprise to me was the way he celebrated his meaningless goal like he'd just scored a Maradona vs England to win the trophy. Utter, utter scumbag. I expect Cotto will be along soon to defend him as he always does.

As for the comments that Atletico played like Chelsea - they were nowhere near as defensive as Chelsea, and it would have been more acceptable if they had been due to their relative lack of resources.

Last night was a major disappointment for football. It was only 2 minutes away from being perfect.

"Not that Ronaldo or even Di Maria (bar the run for Bale's goal) were much better!"

Surprised to read that from you Bailey - Di Maria was fantastic. I actually think Bale was better than Ronaldo too, because he was at least getting involved in the game. Both were poor though.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Tonka said the result wasn't fair. It was fair based on the way the game went - attack v defence. You play the way Atletico did then that's the risk you take, and they got burned. I wasn't criticising the way they played, just that it was wrong to suggest it wasn't fair to Atletico that they were beaten so heavily.

In short, 4-1 was a fair reflection of the game.

To be fair, Atletico have a smaller squad than Real and didn't have much in the tank. RM have also been resting players while Atletico had the title decider in Barcelona. I don't think 4-1 is a fair reflection. The goals in extra-time were a result of Atletico's legs and spirit going after the late equaliser. It took everything out of them.

Of course the result of 4-1 wasnt a fair outcome. 2-1 maybe would have reflected the game. 4-1 flattered Real.

Atletico played very well. Whether people think the way they played is negative or not. It's tactically brilliant and that's why they won the league will half the resources of Real and Barca.