IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Touch and go for City getting out of the group stages after tonight, be lovely if they failed (although chances are they'd drop into Europa which may be a bit inconvenient).

And I've just read that they had 10,000 empty seats last night :huh:.

That's just ridiculous.

Watched welbeck tonight. Excellent. Really showed what he is capable of in a central role.

Complete performance really. Linked up very well, intelligent runs and very very good finishes. As I said earlier, he will prove to be a very good signing.

Liverpool don't look the same side without Suarez.

Guest blueboy122

Watched welbeck tonight. Excellent. Really showed what he is capable of in a central role.

Complete performance really. Linked up very well, intelligent runs and very very good finishes. As I said earlier, he will prove to be a very good signing.

He's going to be a brilliant signing for them. Wish we bought him!

Liverpool have that lost that fear factor without Suarez. They are an ordinary side with 1 or 2 stand out players.

I watched the first half. I thought he was on the outskirts of the game for most of it, he slowed play when he should have been quickening it, his passing was getting there but not as accurate as it should have been and his touch was ok but again it cause him to slow down or move away from the where the space was. He took his goals supremely though, couldn't have asked for more. They were gifted to him because of how badly Gala defended but he made the most of his chances.

Good overall performance though but most strikers would look good against that opposition. Will be interesting to see how he does at Chelsea.

I watched the first half. I thought he was on the outskirts of the game for most of it, he slowed play when he should have been quickening it, his passing was getting there but not as accurate as it should have been and his touch was ok but again it cause him to slow down or move away from the where the space was. He took his goals supremely though, couldn't have asked for more. They were gifted to him because of how badly Gala defended but he made the most of his chances.

Good overall performance though but most strikers would look good against that opposition. Will be interesting to see how he does at Chelsea.

86% pass completion, 3 goals, 3 chances created. 6 dribble completions. He terrorized them. I thought it was an excellent performance, he will get better and is so suited to their fast paced play.

Wenger has signed the type of striker he's needed for a while. His pace was really evident last night and he seems to be much stronger.

Strange stuff happening in Scotland; Celtic sixth in the Premier League currently (having lost at home to current leaders Hamilton today) and Rangers trailing Hearts in the Championship.

Conceivable that Celtic don't win the league (they were 1/100 at the start of the season) and Rangers don't get promotion? Really hope both happen, but still a long shot.

Yes mike I also loosely follow the other leagues and was thinking the same thing! Hamilton was just promoted and they beat Celtic today 1-0 and are leading the league. very surprising. Dundee United is doing well which I had figured since they have they great young core (well 2/3 got sold but one is still there and they have all the cash).

Rangers just can't seem to hang in the championship. I thought after blowing league up with all wins and 1 draw (maybe 1 loss?) they would be on a tear this year as well. But maybe not, fascinating stuff either way.

In the bundlesliga borussia Dortmund are 5-6 from bottom, lost a couple in a row now, Klopp today said they have hit rock bottom.

In ligue 1 Monaco having lost James and falcao seem to have lost their ability to score as well. Sitting a couple spots from the relegation zone, I wonder if they'll be spending in January.

This is where I live :lol:. Never been to watch them but I might on Saturday, ground's only about 200 yards up the road.

The minnows amongst the minnows

Willand may just be a tiny village in Devon that consists of little more than a post office and a pub, but their football team's FA Cup run has captured the locals' imagination.

Willand Rovers, who play in the ninth tier of English football, are the lowest-ranked team left in the competition and will this weekend play an FA Cup game in October for the first time in their history, having never progressed beyond the second round of qualifying before.

They have progressed through five rounds to earn a tie against Essex-based Aveley and are just two wins away from reaching the first-round proper.

"With the amount of games we have played already it is like a League Two side reaching the semi-final, so the game against Aveley is a semi-final tie for us," says Willand player-manager Scott Rogers.

_78071141_0ddeb9ea-dbf8-4f5c-8f29-d12103

"Even to reach the next round would be amazing because there are clubs like Bristol Rovers and Torquay coming into it. Their average attendance is probably larger than the population of Willand.

"But that is the goal, to get through and get a game against a team like that. If we did, I've told the lads that even if we are losing 5-0, if we score they should celebrate like crazy, because how often do clubs like ours score in front of 4-5,000 people?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29525971

There are a few high profile international friendlies scheduled to happen in Beijing today, Brazil vs Argentina being among them.

I've seen it said that they've been cancelled due to the poor quality air there.

People can see barely see what's happening in front of them.

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2014-10/11/content_33731658.htm

http://www.inquisitr.com/1532323/beijing-smog-hits-20-times-chinas-limit-threatens-brazil-vs-argentina-soccer-match/

Incidentally Willand have been drawn at home to Gosport Borough or Maidenhead United in the final qualifying round of the cup; both Conference South teams so just the three steps difference in the pyramid rather than the four that getting one of the "Conference big guns" down here would have been :P.