Zoo

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Tim Cahill joining BBC punditry team this season!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49238586

Adds to the ex-Blue presence:).

"...returning to the studio for the new season and offering their expert football knowledge and experience are Alan Shearer, Ian Wright, Jermaine Jenas, Phil Neville, Alex Scott, Martin Keown, Mark Lawrenson, Danny Murphy, Dion Dublin, Garth Crooks, Kevin Kilbane, Leon Osman and Jon Walters [born Blue]."

This made me laugh in the comments under Phil McNulty's predicted league positions...

Went for 7th for us controversially...

Everton ended Marco Silva's first season strongly and attractively, illustrated by home wins over Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United - and he has been backed in the markets, so owner Farhad Moshiri will expect a top-six challenge and domestic cup run at least.

Idrissa Gueye will be a real loss but Everton have secured the classy Andre Gomes on a permanent basis, added the talented Jean-Philippe Gbamin from Mainz and secured one of Europe's emerging teenage talents in striker Moise Kean from Juventus.

If they can get it right in the final days of the transfer window, and that must include adding a central defender, they could have a real crack at that top six and beyond.

Anyway...

Capture.JPG

On 10/08/2018 at 12:02, Cornish Steve said:

What Mike said. Truro is the highest ranked team in Cornwall and will join in the later qualifying rounds. I was looking for Falmouth and also St. Austell and St. Blazey but didn't see them listed.

St. Austell are playing my local team, Willand Rovers, in the FA Cup on Saturday Steve. If we didn't have a KO at the same time I might've gone and watched, ground's only a gentle five minute stroll away.

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

St. Austell are playing my local team, Willand Rovers, in the FA Cup on Saturday Steve. If we didn't have a KO at the same time I might've gone and watched, ground's only a gentle five minute stroll away.

just wondering, what do players on those teams get paid?  do they have day jobs and this is just a passion for them?  or do people survive on non-league football money.

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

just wondering, what do players on those teams get paid?  do they have day jobs and this is just a passion for them?  or do people survive on non-league football money.

Don't think any teams at that level pay very much Mark.  More like pocket money.  I think the only 'full-time' pro's are in the Conference league and even there, some teams (including my local team Maidenhead United) do not have any full-time pro's. Below the Conference there won't be any teams with full-time pro's.

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

Don't think any teams at that level pay very much Mark.  More like pocket money.  I think the only 'full-time' pro's are in the Conference league and even there, some teams (including my local team Maidenhead United) do not have any full-time pro's. Below the Conference there won't be any teams with full-time pro's.

thanks john, just interesting to know, i'm a very curious person and love to learn.

Wouldn't be scared of either of those teams tbh. Chelsea were very unlucky in the first half but both sides were all over the shop at times. There was more quality in our first half than there was in the whole of that game (finishing aside). 

I'd certainly fancy Wolves to do a job on Utd next weekend (depending on whether they are playing in Europe).

On 06/08/2019 at 17:57, MikeO said:

2-1 triumph for Devon @Cornish Steve:D!

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

A pity, but well done to your team. 

They're at the highest level they've ever been this season, a first ever foray into the Southern League having won the Western Football League championship last year!

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Mike, I'll give you generous odds of 3 to 1 that your team don't win the cup.  That's not 3 to 1 'on' either.😁

If you drive down here and buy me a pint John I'll take the bet, willing to go as high as 50p ew.

36 minutes ago, MikeO said:

They're at the highest level they've ever been this season, a first ever foray into the Southern League having won the Western Football League championship last year!

If you drive down here and buy me a pint John I'll take the bet, willing to go as high as 50p ew.

Sorry, don't pay out on place so can't accept each way.

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Tears in my eyes! Lived in Ottery St Mary for 10 years in the 90s. Brilliant vet for our dog in Cullompton (not a million miles away from Willand)! Sorry, yet another TT thread off topic :D

Did you run the tar barrels? Insanity that.

38 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Celtic out of the CL, amazing how low Scottish football has fallen in my lifetime; even Aberdeen won a trophy! Just a laughing stock now, shame really.

It’s brilliant. I can’t stand Celtic. The stick their fans have been giving the Rangers fans about only being in the EL :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s brilliant. I can’t stand Celtic. The stick their fans have been giving the Rangers fans about only being in the EL :lol: 

When I said "shame" I was talking about Scottish football in general, Celtic being humiliated made me laugh a lot!

33 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Var is shit I’ve said it from day one. Anyway I’ve posted before this. Cantwell at Norwich is a superstar 

He was very good against Liverpool last week, although TAA isn't the best at defending. 

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

Var is shit I’ve said it from day one. Anyway I’ve posted before this. Cantwell at Norwich is a superstar 

Yep I dispise it in Americans sports.  I loved the human element and you just live with the result. VAR is no more accurate as proved today.  It just makes it more maddening when it’s wrong.