Sign in to follow this  

Don't get me wrong. I think Jagielka is a great defender but at this present time I think Stones is more than worthy of keeping his place.

He doesn't play like an inexperienced 19 year old. His confidence on the ball is reminiscent of a young Rio Ferdinand. He's hasn't put a foot wrong at centre half this season, making up for slight mistakes with recovering challenges.

I rate him very very highly.

I think stones will play but if Roberto plays jags there will be no finger pointing from me if we get beat.

Yeah I agree. In a way they both deserve to play, as does Distin, so it's a bit of a dilemma for Roberto as there are pros and cons for both Jags and Stones. Whoever he picks will be there on merit

Yeah I agree. In a way they both deserve to play, as does Distin, so it's a bit of a dilemma for Roberto as there are pros and cons for both Jags and Stones. Whoever he picks will be there on merit

time for the 352 with stones jags and distin at the back? i wouldn't be surprised if we use it in preseason or next year the way the 3 are player. stones right, distin left, jags center.

time for the 352 with stones jags and distin at the back? i wouldn't be surprised if we use it in preseason or next year the way the 3 are player. stones right, distin left, jags center.

No thanks

The lad has come on loads. He, rightly or wrongly, got plenty of flak after 'that' derby game.

But see against Fulham, watching him carry the ball out from deep with those long controlled strides was mine blowing...jags cant do that. Distin cant do that. And did you see when he carried it out then pinged a pin point lofted cross field pass? My jaw swung open.

If he carries on improving like this, he will be THE england centre back.

But England squad now? Maybe for a bit of experience but to get a full sniff he needs to play more games. Which I think will happen next season.

Will be playing Sunday.

Bobby just said he doesn't think Jags will play Sunday. That he is ready to step up but he wants to be careful there is no recurrence of injury.

In other words John Stones is more than worthy of keeping his slot.

Good performance again against Arsenal. The one time he got into trouble was more Howard's fault really. He made no attempt to help the lad out or do anything pro-active at all and stood there almost disinterested in all honesty. A more alert keeper would have seen the problem, moved toward Stones and offered himself for the pass. Easy really....don't know why it wasn't done.

He always recovers from his mistakes. Always.

Unfortunately I don't want to see Jagielka back in the side ATM. It will disrupt our form and personally I don't think he offers anything more than Stones but experience. It's a tough one but Stones should remain first choice.

got pace to burn, needs to grow into himself a little bit but he looks class, bit of a mistake early on but he recovered and never let it affect him. He is like a young Rio Ferdinand.

got pace to burn, needs to grow into himself a little bit but he looks class, bit of a mistake early on but he recovered and never let it affect him. He is like a young Rio Ferdinand.

Absolutely. Remember when he was banded about at Leeds, they're near carbon copies.

I absolutely love Stones. He's fast becoming my favourite player.

What a good centre back he is, future international. Also, with pace to burn and his ball control/passing skills, he could also play in midfield if required.

Reminds me a bit of Luiz of Chelsea - only better.

The lad has potential but I still find him a bit weak, and mistake-prone. Sometimes he's brilliant with the ball and other times he's sloppy (like the ball he lost in the corner area against Arsenal).

Nothing that can't be fixed with time. Time, experience and work outs in the gym, plus good coaching, and there you have an elite defender.

He reminds me of Raphael Varane, the french young CB (Real Madrid). Both are fast and agile, look good with the ball, tall, and still a bit weak, they have the body of teenagers.

they have the body of teenagers.

He is a teenager but agree with the rest of your post given time and under a manager like RM he will just get better and better with time, great prospect and talent.

There's some great young English talent emerging we just need a man with the balls to utilize it and drop the old guard.

He's right, they're both worth considering but im not surprised that Woy isnt going to change from his Smalling and Jones fascination.

Flannagan has been brilliant, whichever side he has played.

Tiring. Be great qualifiying for Champions League - buying Lukaku and a couple of others, sticking Barkley on a 6 year deal just to stick to massive fingers up at these journos.

Haven't they got anything better to do such as "Suarez will be off if Real come calling in the summer after making having a great world cup a priority"

Just had a look for Jamie Sanderson name. The one who wrote the article for the Metro and straight away he comes up with loads of articles about Arsenal and the youth that are coming up etc. Arsenal supporter trying to derail Everton players like everyone has said already! :)

I see Jags wasn't on the bench against Sunderland. Stones had an awesome game apart from one slip up. He was really angry at himself at one stage for not getting to block a shot when there were others who were better positioned. Does not like to feel as though he's not doing his bit for the team....will be a world class defender one day.

I was thinking of his demeanour and that of Fellaini during his first season.....no comparison, Stones wins hands down.

London press guy:- "Blimey those dossers at goodison are doing well aren't they?"

Bored Manchester hack:- "oh yeah for some reason they have apart from stealing some unwanteds on loan they have Coleman, Barkley, and this new kid called Stones, don't know if he's any good but a few pundits like him"

London press guy "Arsenal and Chelsea need a good centre half, and clearly we are richer down here than you tramps up there, the problem with you northerners, is you wanna be southerners.... I'm running with this"

Bored manchester hack "can you at least say that Luke Shaw is off to united?"

While I was initially 50-50 on Stones/Jags playing, I don't see a reason why the kid should lose his spot. Sure he's made a couple of mistakes, but he has played phenomenal and gives us something neither Jags/Distin can't; pushing up the field comfortably with the ball. This just smells of a PR move to me, of course Jags will play "when he gets cleared", he's our captain. RM wouldn't say anything else, would he?

Personally I think the Stones transfer was utter shite. Coleman is well on form this season and improving vastly (he's actually a bearable defender now!). The money could have been invested elsewhere like CM or a new young winger.

Are you embarrassed by this post

We've gone from Leroy Fer and Negrado to fucking Josh Stones. I'm slightly pissed off that we are spending precious deadline day time buying a right-back when we desperatly need an attacking midfielder and a striker.

Do you have something against England's next centre-half for the next ten years .

The funny thing is they paid £25m for the pair of them. We got Stones for £3m and he's comfortably better than them both.

I think the word "got" in that last sentence wants replacing with the word "pinched" for 3m , wouldn't you agree .

I think the word "got" in that last sentence wants replacing with the word "pinched" for 3m , wouldn't you agree .

£3m was a decent sum of money for a 17/18 year old "prospect" playing in the championship - the real value comes when the player proves that he can play at the top level - from a financial perspective you guys should have % sell ons, appearance earnings etc. But ultimately you can't demand the money that the player "could be worth".

For me his value is in the £20m bracket now and is only going to increase. Lets say you had Ross Barkley - you would have sold him by now for £5-10m and he is worth £40m+.

Its wrong and is one of the reasons it is so tough for lower league teams to break and maintain a stay in the Prem.

We suffer the same to a degree - when we have a talent the player is automatically linked with a £20m move to Man United or Chelsea... not nice.

No. I'd say we offered you £3m and you accepted. You could have rejected it.

Yes Barnsley should have rejected it , kept him for another 12 months and sold him for 6 million or more but when

you have a club that's run by a fool this is what happens.

I think this lad might be one of the best centre backs england have ever produced. I thought he was outstanding last night, some of his interceptions and cross field passing were immaculate. we have got a serious player here

I've been racking my brain (insignificant though it is)for weeks now trying to remember who Stones reminds me of in the way he plays. I reckon he's very like Brian Labone and similar to Jack Charlton in the way he holds himself and moves forward with the ball rather than just passing it out as per most CBs these days. And his positional play is very reminiscent of both.....and look where they got to....especially Charlton.

Don't know who I'm talking about? Look 'em up on Wikipedia! (excellent reading)!

Absolutely. Although in my defence I thought he was going to be deployed as a RB. He should be a legend here if nobody steals him off us.

Fair dues mate , but I still think that some Everton fans don,t realise how good a player they have on there hands .