IGNORED

John Stones

Can't believe the lad is only 19. Putting in top class performances at the very top level.

He's definitely got all the attributes to become the best CB in England.

Spot on. We have a gem of a player coming through. Maybe not next season, but 15/16 I expect him to be first choice at the back.

Reminds me of when my mate came back from Anfield having seen Rio Ferdinand play for West Ham as an 18/19 year old - just said "That lad is going to be class - got so much composure"

I can't think of many other centre halves younger than 20 who have made such an impact - Rio, Terry, Sol Cambell. Not bad company.

A class player indeed. Centre-back is not an easy position to play without the relevant experience. Young strikers who make regular blunders in a game don't lose matches, centre-backs who make blunders rarely survive more than a couple of games.

Sure, he's had the odd heart-stopping moment but when you consider how much younger he is than Distin (17 years?)he doesn't havethat much ground to make up. He must be learning every day from Baines and Distin and Jags......few better teachers around than they.

Maybe too soon for him for World Cup 2014, but watch this space.

Couldn't agree more though about Smalling and Cleverley in particular. I'll reserve judgement on Jones for the time being as I think he needs better players around him.

Rightly or wrongly, I think we'll see Jags come back in for the Arsenal game.

I actually don't think we will undo Romey. The lad is playing out of his skin. Looks years beyond his age and Jagielka has looked erratic at times this season

I actually don't think we will undo Romey. The lad is playing out of his skin. Looks years beyond his age and Jagielka has looked erratic at times this season

I'd like that to be the case, I like players who play well to keep their places, they've earned it. If anything Distin would get the chop if I had my way; he was all over the place today (as he so often is).

I'd like that to be the case, I like players who play well to keep their places, they've earned it. If anything Distin would get the chop if I had my way; he was all over the place today (as he so often is).

Totally agree, Distin was very uncomfortable today.

Personally I don't think Martinez should break that partnership up just for better opposition. We'll soon see.

Very mixed feeling about this. Stones was class today however against Swansea, he was a bit erratic at times. Has he played well enough to keep his place, sure. Would I be crushed if he was slightly erratic next week and cost us points knowing our captain Jags is sitting on the bench, absolutely. Really interested in seeing how RM handles this.

Edited by Toffee_in_LA

agree with all of the above, he did well today and should play versus arsenal. distin had a bad match but for some reason he always plays well against arsenal (maybe since it's against his french brethren?).

i really love when stones sees space he just pushes forward with the ball and attacks which kills the press immediately, great vision.

Listen, distin and Jags conceded four last time we played arsenal. It will kill the guys confidence if he's dropped for Jags on Saturday. After watching today I woukdnt be surprised if distin was to move aside.

This is arguably the most important EPL game Everton's had in multiple years. Roberto Martinez has bigger things to worry about than "which decision will appease one 19-year-old the most?" And quite frankly, if John Stones' confidence is shattered because two veterans were picked over him in a game of this magnitude he's got some serious self-esteem issues. Somehow, I doubt that.

Distin has been fantastic all season. He was lethargic at times today but there is absolutely no way he should be dropped.

Also it was Stones and Distin who conceded 4 against Arsenal in the cup Jagielka was injured.

Personally I don't want to see Jagielka come straight back in on merit. Stones has been fantastic.

Need to keep our eyes open for a left sided youngster to go with him and we're sorted for the next ten years!

This!

In the mean time I'd be happy with Lescott for a couple of years, on a free.

Listen, distin and Jags conceded four last time we played arsenal. It will kill the guys confidence if he's dropped for Jags on Saturday. After watching today I woukdnt be surprised if distin was to move aside.

I disagree, Stones knows he isn't first choice. If Roberto makes that decision I'm sure Stones will understand completely. Edited by StevO

Really, really impressed by his performance yesterday. He fits into the starting 11 so seamlessly and it's amazing when you consider he's only 19. From what I've seen in interviews and his behaviour on the field he looks like a great lad with a good head on his shoulders, if he continues to improve we may be looking at having a regular starter at international level and hopefully an Everton captain.