IGNORED

John Stones

We paid Barnsley £500,000 up front, although the deal will be worth more with subsequent appearances and will total up to two or three million pounds eventually. That's what I can ascertain from the deal. I'm not entirely pleased with it, in that this was the only name we could bring in after some early promise and expectations.

some kid from the championship hey, lets just wait and see he might just be very good,had you heard of coleman and pienaar,probably not.

He could be the best thing since electricity Patto, but at this moment in time, just a signing that didn't generate much interest, and I'm not the only supporter today feeling a little disgruntled about missing out on bigger names, although we didn't lose any of our players either. If this Stones turns out to be a good signing, fair enough, but above all else, we have ourselves a player I know nothing about and generates little excitement. Of course we will wait to see what he can put together and how he gets on, but as of today, just feeling a bit skeptical, but we'll see how he does in any event.

how does payment with subsequent appearances work ? do you only pay when he plays ?

nice for Everton but from a legal point of view it allows one party to controll payment - interesting

- would you sell anything and expect payment only when and if the purchaser uses it ? i wont - maybe it works differently -

but it could also explain why Everton buys young players and never plays them - something i still don't understand

That's the way it's done. Luke Garbutt's transfer details are in the public domain because they were set by a tribunal panel. This is how that breaks down:

£600,000 initial transfer fee

£150,000 after 5 first team appearances

£150,000 after 10 first team appearances

£150,000 after 20 first team appearances

£150,000 after 30 first team appearances

£150,000 after 40 first team appearances

£200,000 on England appearance

Leeds receive 20% of profit on future transfer fee

Dave Flitcroft the Barnsley manager rates him as the best young english defender in the game. Hopefully he will make an impression in training adn Moyes bloods him. Thats maybe what we need to give us a boost a fearless young kid who plays without fear

No matter what is said, I still can't quite see the big deal with this kid, or at least it's simply a name that generates no excitement or little interest, being serious. Ok, people are saying, he's one for the future or a very good player, but I'm just skeptical maybe. Until we can actually see him out there and involved and playing regularly I can do little but reserve judgment for the time in question.

'Best young defender in England' - sounds like an exaggeration. If this kid lives up to hype, fair enough, but it's all a bit too much too soon for some

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship/8467240/Barnsley-boss-David-Flitcroft-left-numb-by-John-Stones-departure

If he has been a regular in the Championship is it worth risking him in the Prem?

Why not. It'd hardly be the first time we'd have seen such a thing. Wickham with Sunderland, Morison with Norwich City, there are plenty of other examples that I can't quite think of now, but doubtless out there. When a player makes a move up from lower league to a higher level, it's always interesting to see. Some take to it like a duck to water, while some can find it a struggle. I think this Stones will do alright, although the player has only less than a year of professional experience. Still disappointed that this was all we could manage to bring in on transfer deadline-day when some other good players and bigger names went past us, but I'm prepared to give the kid a chance to see what he can put together out there.

Why not. It'd hardly be the first time we'd have seen such a thing. Wickham with Sunderland, Morison with Norwich City, there are plenty of other examples that I can't quite think of now...

Both strikers though....always less risk playing a youngster up front. Can't remember an example of a defender stepping up as a teenager and going straight into a top premier league starting XI.

There has to be one example we can't think of. Both Wickham and Morison should have stayed with Ipswich and Millwall, their respective clubs, I think in hindsight. Didn't quite work out for them despite a lot of hype at time of departures. I was merely pointing out, that lower league players making a move to a higher plateau, is a regular occurence, regardless of playing position. But it does seem it's mostly center forwards and midfield players than anything I can remember. There has to be goalkeeper examples of this out there without question also.

There has to be one example we can't think of. Both Wickham and Morison should have stayed with Ipswich and Millwall, their respective clubs, I think in hindsight. Didn't quite work out for them despite a lot of hype at time of departures. I was merely pointing out, that lower league players making a move to a higher plateau, is a regular occurence, regardless of playing position. But it does seem it's mostly center forwards and midfield players than anything I can remember. There has to be goalkeeper examples of this out there without question also.

Unjust hype, the scouts/managers should be sacked for falling for it and squandering millions. Wickham was more developed than most teenagers, bigger stronger, but talent wise he was miles behind.

Bloody hell, I though he came up through their youth system?

No they got him on a tribunal I think. Other similar examples could be wisdom from Bradford and further back villa picked Barry up from Brighton I think and Citeh got Richards from a lot lower level - not sure if either went straight in though.

Other similar examples could be wisdom from Bradford and further back villa picked Barry up from Brighton I think and Citeh got Richards from a lot lower level - not sure if either went straight in though.

There's no need to show offshaking%20fist.png .

Me saying "can't remember" has to be taken in context (context being my recent memory is f'cked)unsure.png .