IGNORED

John Stones

• 2 weeks later...

just thought i'd have a look on to see how hes doing. Really hope he plays against Norwich.

Dixie Dean, just wait until you see him play a few times. You've got yourself a very special player that could rip it up for you and in a few years time you will be talking about on here. WIll we beable to hold onto Stones when theres links of manchester united and city in the paper everyday.

If he can start games there'll be a few 1000's in south yorkshire cheering you on for sure.

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard much (anything) about the lad since he joined.

It seemed quite a large transfer fee for someone his age and in a position we have cover so I assumed he must have something about him.

Anyone got any insight? Is playing in the reserves? Anyone seem him play?

Played right wing back for the u21s last night - another young prospect who goes by the name of Tony Hibbert made his long awaited return in the 1-1 draw with Fulham as one of the 3 cb's.

Didn't someone say that young prospect, Hibbert, was going to have to retire due to his injury?

Personally I think the Stones transfer was utter shite. Coleman is well on form this season and improving vastly (he's actually a bearable defender now!). The money could have been invested elsewhere like CM or a new young winger.

Edited by AidanLewis

Personally I think the Stones transfer was utter shite. Coleman is well on form this season and improving vastly (he's actually a bearable defender now!). The money could have been invested elsewhere like CM or a new young winger.

We need more than one right back though...Neville's going and Hibbo's getting on so we need cover.

Stones will be a centre back eventually it seems. We had money for other targets (Fer) so us signing Stones wasn't at the expense of other deals. He's a very promising youngster who a few clubs were in for by all accounts.

He can play RB, CB or RW. He will be good as cover seeing as Phil is leaving at the end of the season and Hibbert isn't getting any younger. I think if we would have had a successful January transfer window people wouldn't bash him so much. It's not his fault we didn't spend in other areas.

c1982, on 09 Apr 2013 - 14:47, said:snapback.png

That rings a bell but can't remember who said it or where I heard it, that's if I even did!!!

Bill said it.

Yeah i said it, i should wait a bit longer for the outcome though.

I would love to be proved wrong, cos he's a top Evertonian and deserves to go out on a high.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-john-stones-englands-best-5840853

Love this -

“In any performance from a youngster I never focus on the mistakes, I value their reaction to the mistakes and their next pass, or next decision,” he said.

Edited by Romey 1878

Just gotta love RM... would he have taken Barkley off and left him in the ressies after his shaky 10 minutes at Blackburn? Nope. Barkley would have been playing the football he is now over a year ago under Martinez.

I think the next crop of young talent can count themsleves extremely lucky to have a manager like RM. I am eagerly awaiting to see how George Green develops now.

On a slightly different note I really hope we see Duffy (and Vellios and Lundstram and Garbutt) farmed out on loan before the Football League loan window closes. With Alcaraz, Heitinga and Stones as back-up there's no excuse not to and I really feel like Duffy would suit Championship football to a tee.

On a slightly different note I really hope we see Duffy (and Vellios and Lundstram and Garbutt) farmed out on loan before the Football League loan window closes. With Alcaraz, Heitinga and Stones as back-up there's no excuse not to and I really feel like Duffy would suit Championship football to a tee.

I hate to say it but I think Duffy's window of opportunity in terms of accelerated development has passed. We seen RM's comments about how young players stagnate in the reserves - I have often thought this true.

Look at Dwight Gale, Ian Wright, Jason McAteer etc etc. They may not have been at a top level club as a young player, but they played continuous competitive football to end up at one.

We will see many more, Josh Mc (chelsea), John Bostock (spurs), Jose Baxter. I think he will end up as a championship player, which is a pity.

I hate to say it but I think Duffy's window of opportunity in terms of accelerated development has passed. We seen RM's comments about how young players stagnate in the reserves - I have often thought this true.

Look at Dwight Gale, Ian Wright, Jason McAteer etc etc. They may not have been at a top level club as a young player, but they played continuous competitive football to end up at one.

We will see many more, Josh Mc (chelsea), John Bostock (spurs), Jose Baxter. I think he will end up as a championship player, which is a pity.

From all I've heard of Bostock and Baxter both had crummy attitudes, as well as a dearth of first team football, to blame for their lack of development. There's a reason a couple of Championship and then League 1 teams turned Jose down, before Stubbs pulled some strings and got him a trial at Oldham. And I don't think it was his abilities as a footballer. I also reckon we'll see Josh McEachran make a name for himself in one way or another eventually. Just probably won't develop into the player he could've been with regular football at Chelsea.

Anyway, back to Duffy. Though it's a pity he's missed a significant amount of football through injury and then being snubbed I reckon he still has a decent chance to make it (not necessary with Martinez's football ethos in place though). I have a feeling this season will be crucial to answering whether or not he'll make it at Goodison. At the very least getting him out on loan will put him in the shop window, so we can re-coop some money for the time spent developing him. Just wack a nice sell-on clause in any contact if that does happen though.

Edited by Vranny