IGNORED

If Moyes goes?

Finn balor

I think Jose had a good start to life with winning the Champs league with Porto and got a good number with Chelsea but you had to admire his work with Inter Milan beating Barca with ten men and then beating Bayern i think

Your comment suggests that Schalke 04 is a bigger job than Everton.

It's a step down, and not a step up.

If he wants to manage in Germany then I'd say there's worse teams than Schalke! they have had some big players over the past few seasons and are a champions league team. If he went abroad and did well, he could come back to the prem and manage any team he wanted. That's the sad fact but I doubt he'll get any if the 'big four' jobs unless he goes to Europe and gets more on his CV :) I don't want Moyes to leave but he is ambitious, which is why he's done so well for us on a shoe string, just think what he could do with a bit of financial backing?

Edited by MoyesForPM

Didn't they win the UEFA cup a few years ago beating Inter Milan in the final games. Granted they're maybe not as big as Munich or Dortmund or even Hamburg, but they've done well and come to the fore in the last 15 years for example, and some have even put them forth as a possible name for champions league honors in recent seasons. Bottom line is, I don't think Moyes would ever want to manage in Germany regardless of how good any one club side may be.

I still insist Celtic is a good bet for a future destination, and people talk about MUFC after Ferguson leaves, but I just can't see it myself.

Didn't they win the UEFA cup a few years ago beating Inter Milan in the final games. Granted they're maybe not as big as Munich or Dortmund or even Hamburg, but they've done well and come to the fore in the last 15 years for example, and some have even put them forth as a possible name for champions league honors in recent seasons. Bottom line is, I don't think Moyes would ever want to manage in Germany regardless of how good any one club side may be.

I still insist Celtic is a good bet for a future destination, and people talk about MUFC after Ferguson leaves, but I just can't see it myself.

But Moyes actually said a little while ago that he wants to manage in Germany, and if that's the case then Schalke would probably be about good enough to lure him away.

Anyway, I can't see him leaving anytime soon, there's just too much potential this season.

and that said, all we can do is wait until end of season and see what we have, and maybe then Moyes will make a decision about where his immediate future lies. He may have said he'd like a shot at managerial work in Germany, but I can't see that ever coming to pass being truthful. Just something I can't envisage, in the simplest terms.

Keep pulling the wool over your eyes DK. Why would he specifically mention the german league if he wasnt interested? He wants to manage a team in Germany. Biggest football league in europe (average crowd wise) tons of money, great players. Schalke being a stand out club with 2 or 3 others in the league. Great job for him and not at all a step down from Everton (avin). Perhaps not a step up either, especially now when we are on the verge of something great. (best team in 10 years-Osman) but to say he wouldnt is just a bit ignorant.

You mention Celtic. Also a good bet but he is far to good for the SPL imo.

I've told myself before I'd like to be married to some centerfold model, but that's no indication it's going to occur.

And isn't the EPL the best place to be for soccer ?. By god, it's been mentioned enough times - "The english premier league is the best in the world". Must be something to it. Serie A is the most passionate, but not really interested in German games and their respective teams, but I can't buy into the fact they have 'the biggest league' For the last time, I can't see Moyes going over there, despite what he or anyone thinks. He'll either continue at Everton for a while longer or remain in the UK to try a challenge elsewhere. Without the need for further comment, just wait until the time happens and see what Moyes does, and take it from there. But would be surprised if he went overseas to manage.

I'd be surprised if ANY respectable manager would want to manage Chelsea. Their fans would argue, "we're CL winners, big name players blah blah blah"....But you also run the risk of lasting all of 3 months.

If I was a manager, more interested in the money, I'd go Chelsea and have a buyout clause of like £50 million over the contract period, get sacked, bank the lot and manage a proper 'project', rather than what Mark describes, a circus.

I'd be surprised if ANY respectable manager would want to manage Chelsea.

Unfortunately the way the game is, clubs don't seem to have a problem securing managers no matter how ridiculously they behave.

Look at Southampton. Absolutely outrageous - but the timing good for us!

Edited by SharpysVolley

I've just seen that. What idiots. Ala Blackburn mark II. Adkins got them to where they are now. They've got a good group of players there, they have to persist and see through the rough patches, if they go down this season, sell your Ramirez's to the highest bidder and start building a squad, capable of staying in the league.

Ridiculous decision.

I was late in seeing the news today but Yes, Adkins did a great job last season and got a promotion from the second division with some very good football, signed some decent players and had a result in midweek and they fire his ass. Although as said, it's been a poor season for them and that embarrassment in the FA cup here. You know what happens when a side loses a manager, they invariably play well in subsequent games, so a little wary of what to expect in a few days.

Also hate to manage Chelsea. Bunch of ungrateful cunts lead by the abrasive Ambramovich. Nasty little position and they demand so much.

I was late in seeing the news today but Yes, Adkins did a great job last season and got a promotion from the second division with some very good football, signed some decent players and had a result in midweek and they fire his ass. Although as said, it's been a poor season for them and that embarrassment in the FA cup here. You know what happens when a side loses a manager, they invariably play well in subsequent games, so a little wary of what to expect in a few days.

Also hate to manage Chelsea. Bunch of ungrateful cunts lead by the abrasive Ambramovich. Nasty little position and they demand so much.

Poor season? They just got promoted. Finishing 17th and staying up is a good season for them. A newly promoted side's ultimate goal should be to stay up, and Adkins was leading Saints to doing that.

Moyes has already stated he would like to try his hand on the continent somewhere, Germany seems like a possible destination if he left due to the recent links, i certainly can't see him going to Chelsea. The Adkins thing is crazy, i hope we batter them on Monday and the fans walk out the stadium, im annoyed i can't go it's only down the road angry.png

Poor season? They just got promoted. Finishing 17th and staying up is a good season for them. A newly promoted side's ultimate goal should be to stay up, and Adkins was leading Saints to doing that.

Could hardly be oblivious to what occured at the end of last season here, although they did finish runners up in the end and Reading got the championship title. But Adkins side did for the most part play some of the best soccer of the entire division and it would have been very unjust if they had slipped into the play offs in the end and missed out in those games. They were worthy of an EPL place alright.

I don't think every promotion manager's objective is merely to stay up. Most of the time, that may well be true, but every once and a while, they may want to set their sights a bit higher and do even better. Or the team just surprises everyone and goes on a good run all by themselves. Look at Ipswich in 2000-01 or Norwich after that as prime examples.

Adkins has been under pressure for a lot of the season, there has been some quite horrendous results this season, and maybe that 5 - 1 defeat in the FA cup a week or two back was the deciding factor for Cortese. The club is still in a precarious position near the bottom of league, and despite some recent results, how long before a return to what was seen before and they felt Adkins wasn't able to duplicate the success of before and wanted to give someone else a go to lead them away from danger. Asinine decision some may see it, fair enough, and the Pochettino replacement is questionable, but it has been a bad season. At least they have the league to focus on without any further distractions this season.

Good article. He is not taking the chelsea job!

I saw moneyball last night. Reminded me of Evertons situation, read up about the true story of the Oakland Athletics afterwards, and how the red sox adopted their tactics straight after which made them win their first championship since the early 1900's. They played moneyball, something DM seems to have a talent for doing. Finding players who are good at their job but are massivly undervalued due to lack of other skills and market value.

Can jags pass the ball? Can he cross it? No not really, but he can sure tackle and thats what a CB should do.

Another thing that cracked me up about the movie was that the GM insisted on playing the players in the wrong position. Just to have them on the field so that they could do what they were good at. Im sure DM has read the book.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps time to start using this thread again. For its original purpose. If Moyes goes (and some seem to think that he will according to the other DM thread) who would you want to see here and why? (pls only propose names that are likely)

Who? -

From? -

Why? -

Likelihood of him accepting an offer from Everton (%) -

Martinez could do well here. He gets on well with Whelan as a Chairman and they have a similar club ethos to ours. He also has a very attacking mentality as well as a winning mentality. Sounds silly considering where they are in the table but most managers would have already been relegated with that squad.

I dont know of enough foreign managers but when we need is someone with that attacking philosophy. High pressure, quick passing and players breaking forward. Any team that can do that consistently over the season will finish much higher up than their resources dictates.

Unfortunately I get the feeling that if Moyes goes we will get someone like Curbishly, Strachan or McLeish...

Martin O Neill

Ok he's maybe been disappointing with Sunderland, but the man has done very well for the most part, and took an unfashionable Leicester City team to cup successes and regular finals in recent years. He's just a name I admire and think he could do a job here. Not saying he could actually be manager any day, but it's something I'd maybe be eager to see.

Pardew is another that has done well in the past and made an impression but the general consensus here is it's maybe not a name to even consider, but I have thought about it before.

Martin O Neill

Pardew is another that has done well in the past and made an impression but the general consensus here is it's maybe not a name to even consider, but I have thought about it before.

If either Pardew or O'Neill came anywhere near the Everton job I'd gauge my own eyes out with a spoon. Two managers that are about as much use as chocolate fire-guard in summer.