IGNORED

If Moyes goes?

Finn balor

I'll be honest; the thought of Martinez as our manager fills me with dread and a sense of panic.

was my initial reaction too but, as has already been pointed out, hes used to working under tight restraints and plays attacking football. If he had a decent defence / staff he could be very good. There was talk somewhere of him taking over from Benitez at Chelski

Was just going to agree that the more I think about holloway would be great for us. I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe when it comes to Martinez though, what has he done really? He beat a few big guns last year when fighting relegation for the 104783936th time and plays a decent brand of football. Yeah, sign him up...

Holloway is still my first choice. Just saying I can see the logic for Martinez.

Still hoping Moyes will sign though. It will be weird without him.

was my initial reaction too but, as has already been pointed out, hes used to working under tight restraints and plays attacking football. If he had a decent defence / staff he could be very good. There was talk somewhere of him taking over from Benitez at Chelski

Put it this way, I was rubbing my hands with glee when it looked like he was going to take over the shite!

Why do people want Laudrup ? Because he took them to a League Cup Final ?

What about the Bradford City manager who did an even better job with the same feat ? Shall we throw his name into the ring too ?

Laudrup was a great player with Denmark and I saw him play, but surely this is just a one season wonder. Not a name I'd even consider for the Everton job. Once again we need a manager who has years of experience and is well recognized, such as Curbishley, O Neill, Redknapp etc. I stand by those names, as they have done well, and they're men I respect in the game.

This isn't Laudrup's first season as a manager, you know. He won 2 Danish Cups and 1 league title in 4 seasons at Bröndby and apparently he did that by letting go of a lot of older players at the club and by replacing them with youngsters from their academy. In one season at Getafe he took them to the Copa del Rey final (loss to Valencia) and the quarter final of the UEFA Cup (loss to Bayern Munich). He then got fired at Spartak Moscow after 14 games and quit Mallorca (because of frustration with the chairman, who fired his Danish assistant among others) after keeping them up. Now he's got Swansea into a Cup final as well. He got plaudits for his attacking style at his previous clubs and it looks like he can work with a limited budget (Michu, De Guzman on loan...) He might be able to attract players based on his name alone too.

I would like Roberto Martinez as well. He's promoted Swansea to the championship and really built the foundations of their current style. He's still young and presents himself well, I think he's intelligent in general considering his degree in physiotherapy and postgraduate diploma in business management. And tactically he's better than any other manager in this league and he's even managed to implement his style at Wigan, who have mediocre players really and I saw them deservedly beat Arsenal at their own game last year. I think he could do wonders with our squad.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is supposedly doing very well for himself at Molde. I'd rather gamble on someone like him than get any of Curbishley, O'Neill or Redknapp. I think Curbishley is pretty much done on the highest level, O'Neill plays boring football and Redknapp has said that "tactics don't win matches", which is true in his case, the bucket loads of money he gets from his chairmen do.

This isn't Laudrup's first season as a manager, you know. He won 2 Danish Cups and 1 league title in 4 seasons at Bröndby and apparently he did that by letting go of a lot of older players at the club and by replacing them with youngsters from their academy. In one season at Getafe he took them to the Copa del Rey final (loss to Valencia) and the quarter final of the UEFA Cup (loss to Bayern Munich). He then got fired at Spartak Moscow after 14 games and quit Mallorca (because of frustration with the chairman, who fired his Danish assistant among others) after keeping them up. Now he's got Swansea into a Cup final as well. He got plaudits for his attacking style at his previous clubs and it looks like he can work with a limited budget (Michu, De Guzman on loan...) He might be able to attract players based on his name alone too.

I would like Roberto Martinez as well. He's promoted Swansea to the championship and really built the foundations of their current style. He's still young and presents himself well, I think he's intelligent in general considering his degree in physiotherapy and postgraduate diploma in business management. And tactically he's better than any other manager in this league and he's even managed to implement his style at Wigan, who have mediocre players really and I saw them deservedly beat Arsenal at their own game last year. I think he could do wonders with our squad.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is supposedly doing very well for himself at Molde. I'd rather gamble on someone like him than get any of Curbishley, O'Neill or Redknapp. I think Curbishley is pretty much done on the highest level, O'Neill plays boring football and Redknapp has said that "tactics don't win matches", which is true in his case, the bucket loads of money he gets from his chairmen do.

very well put mate

I just hope and prey that Moyes stays I really fear for the future if the managers mentioned are to replace him.

I cant believe anyone mentioned Curbishley.

O'neill would have a better transfer budget where he is.

I can't stand Redknapp as a person and he needs money.

If he did go then I think i would like to see either Laudrup or Clarke

All it is, is some prefer names and think they will either fail or do a better job than some others. I don't mind Redknapp too much, and he hasn't always needed money to be successful or gain recognition. I still think O Neill is a good name to consider, another one who has proved successful without need for big money, just bringing together a no thrills side that worked hard and got results. I just don't like the idea of Laudrup at GP. Yes he may have done well in South Wales, but could he really duplicate that success elsewhere. Still insist it's merely a one off. How will they do next season ?

All this talk is all very well, but maybe it's better to get the confirmation that Moyes intends to leave before we start doing shortlists for managerial figures. The Scot may well decide to stay on for a couple more seasons for all we know, but that's how I feel about it with regards to possible replacements when the time arises.

All it is, is some prefer names and think they will either fail or do a better job than some others. I don't mind Redknapp too much, and he hasn't always needed money to be successful or gain recognition. I still think O Neill is a good name to consider, another one who has proved successful without need for big money, just bringing together a no thrills side that worked hard and got results. I just don't like the idea of Laudrup at GP. Yes he may have done well in South Wales, but could he really duplicate that success elsewhere. Still insist it's merely a one off. How will they do next season ?

All this talk is all very well, but maybe it's better to get the confirmation that Moyes intends to leave before we start doing shortlists for managerial figures. The Scot may well decide to stay on for a couple more seasons for all we know, but that's how I feel about it with regards to possible replacements when the time arises.

doh.gif:lol:

Did you even read the responses above DK? "Yes he may have done well in south wales, but could he really duplicate that success elsewhere" Steve_E gave several examples of his previous successes, not just swansea.

I understand that its your opinion that you think those names will do well for the club, but do you fancy backing up and saying why? all you've said is that you like them. And O'neil doesnt need big money? rofl.gif Do you actually follow what goes on in football other than results? I'd say O'neil was one of the biggest spenders outside the top 4 only behind redknapp.

Because Moyes has built us up to be able to pay players those wages? I don't see your point there? I'm pretty sure Steve Watson and Co were on similar to what Wigan players are on now? How could Moyes not do better when he already has? Do you remember where we were when he took over?

This is making me sound like I think the sun shines out of Moyes' arse here, I don't I think now would actually be the best time for both the club and him to move on, but to compare Moyes to Martinez is laughable.

Are you serious? Are you saying Wigan have a fair playing ground with Everton and the only difference is Moyes? Wigan lost their 3 best players after their first season in the prem and have continually sold (or let go) one of their best players every year. Moyes cries over 3 in his entire tenure.

I don't know how this second part is a point.

Already covered this, the team wasn't that bad, Walter Smith was.

Are you serious? Are you saying Wigan have a fair playing ground with Everton and the only difference is Moyes? Wigan lost their 3 best players after their first season in the prem and have continually sold (or let go) one of their best players every year. Moyes cries over 3 in his entire tenure.

No. I'm saying we were once in a similar position to Wigan before Moyes; fighting relagation. You dont know how it is a point? your the one who said you were referring to players wages making the difference? I give up, this is just going to get like our discussions on pienaar.

No. I'm saying we were once in a similar position to Wigan before Moyes; fighting relagation. You dont know how it is a point? your the one who said you were referring to players wages making the difference? I give up, this is just going to get like our discussions on pienaar.

We had an awful manager who had lost the plot, the team of players was good enough to be in the top half under any manager worth their salt. Moyes' job is nowhere near as hard.

On a bad day we get twice the support that Wigan get on a good day. Huge difference in what each club can afford to pay wages wise to attract/keep players.

If some peeps on here have a hard on for anything Swansea then call for Kenny Jackett to become our next manager or for Huw Jenkins to be chairman, because without them two we would not be discussing Laudrup or Martinez. I don't want either and I have not made my mind up who I want to replace Moyes when he goes at the end of the season or when ever he decides to call it a day. I'm just shit scared of fighting another relegation battle because to be honest we have all had a tits full of that in the past haven't we?

I can't see past Laudrup to be honest. His record as a manager has been well documented but i think the players would look up to him due to the fact he was a world class player and played for Real and Barca to go with his managerial skills. He is young and hungry and has proven he doesnt play tip tap football. Swansea are tough to break down defensively. Martinez is a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me

Would Laudrup who at the mo is in a cup final with a well run club that has no debts, new stadium, good players, fantastic fan base etc..... come to a club who has to sell one of their better players every season just to stay afloat? Really?

Don't want to sound "Welshist" but however you dress it up Everton is a step up from Swansea....our income will be up by thirty odd million from next season so the "selling to stay afloat" point won't apply.

Don't want to sound "Welshist" but however you dress it up Everton is a step up from Swansea....our income will be up by thirty odd million from next season so the "selling to stay afloat" point won't apply.

Hopefully wages won't match the rise in revenue at least for awhile. Would be a good time to both add to the squad & pay off some debt.

I did not say it was a step up Mike, as for the extra revenue there will be serious misgivings if the debt is not repaid with this extra cash.

We had an awful manager who had lost the plot, the team of players was good enough to be in the top half under any manager worth their salt. Moyes' job is nowhere near as hard.

On a bad day we get twice the support that Wigan get on a good day. Huge difference in what each club can afford to pay wages wise to attract/keep players.

whats that got to do with the manager?

Starting to think that Moyes will sod off for his "glory" years before failing miserably, and coming back to comfort.

whats that got to do with the manager?

Me and Goodison road discussing the merits of Moyes to Martinez, as I said Moyes hasn't done much more than Martinez.

GR: I don't understand how people rate Martinez at all. He's involved in a relegation battle every year, how does that make a good manager?

pete0: The same reason people rate Moyes. No money and sell one of their best players every year (or they walk on a Bosman).

GR:But Moyes continually finishes in the top half/top 6...not near the relegation zone?

P0: The difference in wages justifies that. Wigan is a much tougher job than Everton.

GR:So if we get Martinez in and put him on 75k a week or w/e Moyes is on.. Martinez would do the same job? Don't make me laugh!

Moyes had a lot less to work with when he first joined and gradually built us into what we are today. Martinez has been at Wigan for what? 5 years? And they are still scrapping at the bottom. I think what money he has got in from the sales of Moses and N'zogbia he hasn't reinvested very well at all.

P0: I meant the players wages, we pay double what Wigan do. I don't rate Martinez very highly, but he's done well to keep Wigan up. I doubt Moyes would be able to do any better.

GR: Because Moyes has built us up to be able to pay players those wages? I don't see your point there? I'm pretty sure Steve Watson and Co were on similar to what Wigan players are on now? How could Moyes not do better when he already has? Do you remember where we were when he took over?

This is making me sound like I think the sun shines out of Moyes' arse here, I don't I think now would actually be the best time for both the club and him to move on, but to compare Moyes to Martinez is laughable.

P0: Are you serious? Are you saying Wigan have a fair playing ground with Everton and the only difference is Moyes? Wigan lost their 3 best players after their first season in the prem and have continually sold (or let go) one of their best players every year. Moyes cries over 3 in his entire tenure.

GR: No. I'm saying we were once in a similar position to Wigan before Moyes; fighting relagation. You dont know how it is a point? your the one who said you were referring to players wages making the difference? I give up, this is just going to get like our discussions on pienaar.

P0: We had an awful manager who had lost the plot, the team of players was good enough to be in the top half under any manager worth their salt. Moyes' job is nowhere near as hard.

Edited by pete0

I did not say it was a step up Mike, as for the extra revenue there will be serious misgivings if the debt is not repaid with this extra cash.

I know....and I agree with you on the debt reduction.

Just think that an ambitious manager (and I'm not saying he's right or wrong for the job) would surely swap safety & stability at Swansea for a chance at a club the size of Everton.

It's 4-00 in the morning and we've just got home but once again Laudrup isn't a feasible choice. I don't care if he's won a few games at Swansea or done well for a short period, is that really going to make a difference to us ? I don't mind Moyes as an individual, he's done well, but where's the end product ? 11 Years now and nothing won, although this season does represent an opportunity to finally once again win something, but it's too early to tell. Even if we had the investment to do something, Moyes' dour and lacklustre tactics and philosophies dictate we won't get very far. It's one main reason why Manchester United will never accept him. He's had over a decade and nothing won, but I want to see someone else come in and have a go. Yes we may get european soccer every now and again but all it amounts to is stabillity and safety first. We have a very good opportunity this year with a feasible chance of FA cup semi-finals but we've seen before how Moyes loses it at the most critical stages or when there's a tangible chance to win something.

To the above, I simply can't envisage Hitzfeld, Advocaat etc ever being Everton manager, so I don't know quite where that leaves us. I'm not even aware of a Thomas Tuchel ?, but something has to give sooner or later. If Moyes does depart at end of season, I'll be a little sad to see him go after all these years, and it'll be strange to see a new face in charge, but I'm adamant he's done as much as he can and maybe it's time for someone else to have a go and see where it takes us. We still once again have opportunities this season so will wait 'til then but that's how I feel about it.

Regarding TV money and debt we will still be like for like. Whereas we will be paying off debt, other clubs may user it to improve capacity, facilities, players and generate more income.

One way or another we will have to spend it to consolidate our league position. If we were the only club to get this money fair enough - but we aren't. The inflationary impact of this cash injection is going to be going in the pockets of agents and players, the old £20k a week squad player is going to be a £40k a week squad player - pay it or lose them.

Laudrup isn't a feasible choice. I don't care if he's won a few games at Swansea or done well for a short period, is that really going to make a difference to us ?

Please read the answers on here or look him up. Laudrup has done really well as a manager since 2002. That 11 years of successful management. Not a few games, not a short period. Ill help you out:

2002–2006 Brøndby 2007–2008 Getafe 2008–2009 Spartak Moscow 2010–2011 Mallorca 2012–

Swansea City

After his playing career ended with Ajax, Laudrup became a coach at age 36 when he started serving as an assistant coach for the Danish national team coach Morten Olsen in 2000. The national team would play a 4–2–3–1 formation, depending on two fastwingers and with the aim to dominate games with a short-passing possession game. Together they led Denmark to the knock-out stage of 2002 World Cup, after which Laudrup took the job as manager for Brøndby in the Danish Superliga. As his assistant coach, Laudrup paired up with former Danish championship winning manager John Jensen, who had played alongside him in the Danish national team.

At the start of his reign, Laudrup proclaimed a tactical scheme close to that which Olsen and he had coached at the national team. Laudrup renovated the Brøndby team by letting a large contingent of older and experienced players go, in favour of several new offensive players, and he gave the chance to young talents from the club's youth scheme. To ensure the defensive strength of the team, he hired the proven national team player Morten Wieghorst. In his first year as head coach, he managed the team to aDanish Cup win against FC Midtjylland in the final. After finishing runners up twice, he finally led the team to The Double in 2005.

150px-Michael-laudrup-2005.jpg

magnify-clip.pngLaudrup as Brøndby manager

After finishing runners-up in the 2005–06 season, Laudrup left Brøndby along with assistant coach John "Faxe" Jensen. He could not come to an agreement with Brøndby about renewing his contract, and therefore decided to leave the club. He was associated with several new jobs, including head coach of former club Real Madrid and rumours that he would replace Lars Lagerbäck as head coach for the Swedish national team. In 2007, Brøndby decided to name a new lounge at the stadium "The Michael Laudrup Lounge", with Laudrup's approval.

On 21 June 2007, he was linked to a move to Madrid's La Liga team Getafe by sports newspaper Marca. This was confirmed on 9 July 2007. During his stay in Getafe the club reached the final in Copa del Rey, but lost to Valencia, and the quarter finals in the UEFA Cup (lost in extra time to Bayern Munich). During his tenure, as successor to former Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster, he brought a new brand of exciting and free-flowing attacking football to the club which brought back memoires of Laudrup as a player. His team, which was not one of the established forces in Spanish football, enjoyed comparative success. However, he performed only one season as manager, tendering his resignation in May 2008.[16]

After he announced his departure from Getafe he was linked with jobs at Valencia, Benfica, Chelsea, Blackburn Rovers, Panathinaikos, CSKA Moscow and West Ham United. He almost got the job at Panathinaikos, but according to Danish media he wanted an option to allow him to leave, if he got an offer from a Spanish club. This could not be accepted by the Greeks, who chose Henk ten Cate instead. [17] On 12 September 2008, it was officially announced that Laudrup signed a 18-month contract with Spartak Moscow. However, he spent only 7 months in the post, being sacked on 15 April 2009 after Spartak's 0–3 loss to Dinamo Moscow in the Russian Cup.

150px-Michael-Laudrup-Nov2008.jpg

magnify-clip.pngLaudrup at a Champions League press conference in November 2008, after the match Spartak Moscow and Udinese

On 22 October 2009, Spanish media announced that Laudrup would be appointed as new manager of Spanish side Atlético Madrid, replacing the short and unsuccessful run of Abel Resino, following Atletico's 4–0 Champions League defeat at the hands of Chelsea, but Laudrup and the club weren't able to agree on terms. The day after, on 23 October, Resino was sacked and Quique Sanchez Flores was appointed as coach as second choice instead of Laudrup.

In July 2010, Laudrup was appointed manager of RCD Mallorca on a contract that was to run until the end of June 2012. In his first season in Mallorca, Laudrup managed to keep a struggling Mallorca team from relegation, which was suffering from losing many first team players and who was ejected from the Europa League due to a bad financial situation. At the beginning of the 2011–2012 season, on 27 September 2011, Laudrup resigned from his job, following the firing of his assistant, Erik Larsen. Laudrup cited that great frustration with Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, the club's Director of Football, leading to a bad work climate as the main reason for his resignation.[18]

On 15 June 2012, he was appointed manager of Swansea City on a two-year contract. His first competitive match as Swansea manager came as an impressive 5-0 away win at Loftus Road versus Queens Park Rangers.[19] At Swansea City, Alan Tate says that Laudrup was considered to be the best player in training despite being age of 48.[20]

On 23 January 2013, Laudrup lead Swansea into their first ever major Cup final, defeating Chelsea 2–0 on aggregate over two legs in the League Cup semi-finals.[21]

Laudrup is my first choice if Moyes goes.