IGNORED

James McCarthy

To be honest, if we are still interested in Fer (and we better be... have you seen him at the U21s?), I'd rather spend the 8mil or so on him than the extra few on McCarthy. McCarthy can pass, sure. Fer is physical, has pace, can pass, and scores goals. Looks a better player for a good deal less money.

Guest blueboy122

To be honest, if we are still interested in Fer (and we better be... have you seen him at the U21s?), I'd rather spend the 8mil or so on him than the extra few on McCarthy. McCarthy can pass, sure. Fer is physical, has pace, can pass, and scores goals. Looks a better player for a good deal less money.

Spot on mate, I would like eithier of them to be honest but I wouldnt spend anymore than £5-8 million on Mccarthy. Fer seems like a better player anyway.

I'd rather have McCarthy than Fer. I liked Fer as a Moyes signing: big and powerful guy to run box-to-box. He would have fit in what we did. Martinez will likely set out to play a different way. We don't know what formation he will look to set up in, but we can assume it will be one with an intent to pass it along the deck, which McCarthy would fit much better. If we play 4-3-3 with one holding midfielder, a 'left midfielder' and a 'right midfielder' (which I sorta hope we'll do) he could play any of the positions in the midfield triangle.

Guest blueboy122

Am I missing something about Fer? He failed a physical the last time around because of a potentially gammy knee. What's changed?

He did not fail a medical, the club picked up he potentially might have a glass knee so wanted to restructure payments so if his knee went we wouldnt have to pay the full fee etc. But he looks just fine to me from watching the Euro's under 21.

He's a more mobile, less injury-prone Darron Gibson for me, just 22 as well. He'd be very welcome, but not for silly money (£10m).

Yeh I agree, although I would also add that he is much better defensively. For the right price he would be a very good signing.

I'm not sure where McCarthy fits into our team as it stands tbh. He seems a bit too similar to Gibson, albeit with quite a bit more pace, to play in a deeper midfield role. And I'd rather develop Barkley, with assistance from Osman, in an advanced midfield role.

Looks a good little player for whoever he ends up at though and looks ready to take the next step in his development at a bigger club.

I'd rather have McCarthy than Fer. I liked Fer as a Moyes signing: big and powerful guy to run box-to-box. He would have fit in what we did. Martinez will likely set out to play a different way. We don't know what formation he will look to set up in, but we can assume it will be one with an intent to pass it along the deck, which McCarthy would fit much better. If we play 4-3-3 with one holding midfielder, a 'left midfielder' and a 'right midfielder' (which I sorta hope we'll do) he could play any of the positions in the midfield triangle.

Martinez did have Diame at Wigan remember! i dont think he is averse to a battling box to box midfielder, in fact, losing him was probably one factor in them going down, they missed his mobility and steel.

I'm not sure where McCarthy fits into our team as it stands tbh. He seems a bit too similar to Gibson, albeit with quite a bit more pace, to play in a deeper midfield role. And I'd rather develop Barkley, with assistance from Osman, in an advanced midfield role.

Looks a good little player for whoever he ends up at though and looks ready to take the next step in his development at a bigger club.

McCarthy could play in the middle with Gibson and Fellaini. No reason why three intelligent footballers couldn't work it all out.

McCarthy could play in the middle with Gibson and Fellaini. No reason why three intelligent footballers couldn't work it all out.

It's just going to hinder Barkley's development though. I reckon young Ross would be more suited than McCarthy to the advanced position anyone would have to play next to Fellaini and Gibson too. Money can be better spent else where IMO.

It's just going to hinder Barkley's development though. I reckon young Ross would be more suited than McCarthy to the advanced position anyone would have to play next to Fellaini and Gibson too. Money can be better spent else where IMO.

McCarthy is a box to box midfielder the same as Gibson. For me they would make a tremendous pairing, Barkley is an attacking midfielder who should be played in an advanced position (like Maloney is for Wigan). I think it's pretty much odds on that Fellaini will not be here at the start of the season.

• 1 month later...

The amount of leaks out of that club is extraordinary. Ever since Martinez was appointed, every single signing has been in the paper before it happened.

It's unprofessional and a total disregard for the privacy of our clubs business, not to mention a lack of respect for their ex manager. 20m is a joke. It might be different if he was a goal machine but he is only just in front of Hibbert.

Don't know how people can think £12 mil is excessive for McCarthy, but are offended by the same amount for Baines.

McCarthy is a talented central midfielder, there's plenty of talented central midfielders in the world. Baines is the best left back in the league, there are very few left backs (or right backs for that matter) who are anything more than "capable of doing a job".

How many great teams are built around a great left back?

Sell him to bring in a midfielder that will help us take a step closer to Europe. Think Moneyball, yes Baines is great going forward, but defensively we conceded the majority of goals from his side. We could get a cheaper left back who is better defensively and bring in a young midfielder who could make up for Baines' assists and also further the team, helping spread the flow of football across the park rather than be one dimensional. Keeping Baines is purely an emotional, Everton will be cutting their nose off to spite the face.

Short run - we improve thanks to a better midfield.

Long run - the cycle continues, we sell the midfielder and target which ever area is weakest.

:blink: seriously, can't see why?

McCarthy is younger and plays in a harder position and maintain (or increase in) value. How is Baines worth more?

If Baines wasn't already here and Everton had £15 mil left in the kitty would you rather the club bought Baines or some one to fill in a key position midfielder or striker and has sell on value?

But dont you see that is just the point?

There are many midfileders around that you can buy for your team that will add to the quality of your first team.

The trick is to find players in other positions that can add quality too. thats how you build a good team. We have a left back that actually adds quality and offensice power....that is why Baines is worth so much money.

There are simply no others for under 20 m that can replace a player of his quality, yet there are a hundred players if you look arouynd that can do a great job in midfield for you.

Midfiled is not a nharder position than left back....just a different position.

If we were weak in the left back position then i am sure we would all be screaming out to strengthen that position.