IGNORED

James McCarthy

Think that if Fellini went I would want to have McCarthy to replace him even though I would have liked us to have also signed Scott Parker. He will be a great signing for Fulham for me he is the steel we need in the midfield and always gives 100%. Tough tacking midfeilder for 1 million or what ever they got him for they will get a good 2-3 seasons out of him. A team with Scott Parker in the side is one that will be hard to break down that's for sure. Credit Fulham for getting him

There's a reason Spurs Parker for that price, his legs have gone - his tenacity is his best quality but thats no good if you can't get there. You see how quick players go when the legs aren't there, Keane, Viera, better players, but as soon as that mobility to boss the midfield goes then they are no use at all.

I don't want another player signing 5 years after he should have done in the first place.

McCarthy is 22 and has his best years ahead and we will develop him to a very very good player. £10-13m will be the right price for a player who can be an Everton great.

There's a reason Spurs Parker for that price, his legs have gone - his tenacity is his best quality but thats no good if you can't get there. You see how quick players go when the legs aren't there, Keane, Viera, better players, but as soon as that mobility to boss the midfield goes then they are no use at all.

This! And it's a reason I don't want Barry near our club as well.

What's funny is that..

a) Everton have made no indication whatsoever that they want McCarthy (officially)

b ) Wigan haven't put any price tag on him, let alone £15m (officially)

c) If anything was going to happen, or has happened you'd hear it first from Dave Whelan, way before SSN or the rags. (Not officially, but it is DW!)

Reading this forum you'd think McCarthy was the only midfielder in the world we could buy and considering its all sprouted from paper rumours I think this is getting a lot of wasted energy!

Edited by MatthewT

What's funny is that..

a) Everton have made no indication whatsoever that they want McCarthy (officially)

c) If anything was going to happen, or has happened you'd hear it first from Dave Whelan, way before SSN or the rags. (Not officially, but it is DW!)

Reading this forum you'd think McCarthy was the only midfielder in the world we could buy and considering its all sprouted from paper rumours I think this is getting a lot of wasted energy!

Pretty sure Whelan said at the start of the summer when there was us and spurs interested that he would cost nearer £20m

What's funny is that..

It's the rumour section, and we're rumoured to be interested, so we're discussing the rumour :dont know: .

What's funny is that..

I think this one particularly has legs: here's the logic....

RM is aware of united interest for Fellaini and could have activated the £23m clause... at that time he will have had a plan in place for the potential departure of a defensive midfielder.... McCarthy is a player who martinez has stated has the technique to play for any team in the world...

he will be affordable for less than we will sell fellaini - around £8m less....

I know he isn't the superstar marquee "Football manager 2013 top scout predicts "wonder kid" - next "zinedine zidane""

But i've seen enough of him to know he is a proper footballer, a very good one. No one got too excited about makelele....didnt stop him being a pretty awesome component of a winning team.

I think I must be the only one that hasn't ever (knowingly) seen McCarthy actually play. Do many people watch Wigan games other than against Everton?

They do get the odd game on sky sports, he had a particularly solid and mature game against Man City in the fa cup final too. Not to mention he also has given us the run around.

I don't think anyone really knows what happened with Fer. There was rumours that he failed his medical and that Everton wanted to pay the cash sum in appearances but FC Twente didn't want that. Fer came out and said he didn't fail his medical it was just FC Twente pulled out of the transfer for some reason..no-one knows. Maybe Everton didn't have the money and wanted it to be part sum payments but FC Twente didn't want this and in full instead. Who knows...

I think I must be the only one that hasn't ever (knowingly) seen McCarthy actually play. Do many people watch Wigan games other than against Everton?

I personally watch any game involving an English team be it premiership, lower league or in Europe (unless of course I'm at the game), so see plenty of Wigan live and of course the highlights (which don't always tell the whole story). I'll watch the odd la liga and scots prem game too and the bundesliga highlight show when I catch it! In addition sky sports news will often run on a loop in my house - hands up I'm an addict! Thankfully my wife likes football and even watches Sir Jeff on soccer Saturday when I'm at Goodison!

In conclusion, I've been very impressed with McCarthy for a fair while.

I don't think anyone really knows what happened with Fer. There was rumours that he failed his medical and that Everton wanted to pay the cash sum in appearances but FC Twente didn't want that. Fer came out and said he didn't fail his medical it was just FC Twente pulled out of the transfer for some reason..no-one knows. Maybe Everton didn't have the money and wanted it to be part sum payments but FC Twente didn't want this and in full instead. Who knows...

Fer was a Moyes target, Moyes/Kenwright/Everton may have known as early as Jan about what we all know with ManU as SAF said he made his decision over the festive season. Maybe when push came to shove Kenwright wasn't prepared to back Moyes to sign a player that the next manager may not want. Speculative I know!

I think it basically came down to the fact that we didnt have enough up front money to buy him. I dont know whether something came up in the medical after the original fee was agreed or whether we didnt have as much money as we thought, but whatever it was we tried to re-arrange the payment terms and Twente didnt want to change it. At least that is what I have been led to believe.

I think McCarthy should only be priced around 10million. If we were to go nearer fifteen then surely there should be some deduction fir playing outside the premiership. No other championship midfielder in that league has a price tag anywhere near that value..... Even including QPR

I would agree to a certain extent however if we had got relegated when we had Rooney when we finished just above relegation should we have sold him for less than £10m?

The reality is once a player has proven themselves against prem quality opponents, that takes them in a higher bracket. McCarthy has shone against the likes of Toure, Fellaini, dembele etc.

Fletcher went to Sunderland for 15 million from Wolves and they were relegated. Jarvis also went to West Ham for 10 million. Zaha 15 million. Chamberlain - 12 million. If they are good players it doesn't matter if they play in the championship or not but I do think that McCarthy is worth 10 million and 15 million at a stretch any more than that then no point...

Fletcher went to Sunderland for 15 million from Wolves and they were relegated. Jarvis also went to West Ham for 10 million. Zaha 15 million. Chamberlain - 12 million. If they are good players it doesn't matter if they play in the championship or not but I do think that McCarthy is worth 10 million and 15 million at a stretch any more than that then no point...

Seems like Will Hughes could be joining the Kopites for 10m as well.