IGNORED

James McCarthy

Yes the problem is because he is Bristish/Irish his price is 5 mill higher than he is actually worth. He has bags of talent but yet to prove it at this level. I would like to see him come in but not at the expense of Fellaini a midfield of Fellaini, Gibbo and McCarthy sounds good to me.

£10 mil will probs be the priceLooking at recent transfers within the league (plus Wolves who have a good financial position so was more the player pushing for a move). Jarvis 8, Fletcher 12, Long 8, Johnson 10, Dembele 16, Moses 10, Allen 16, and Adam 6. Pienaar and Dempsey's transfer fees are massive considering their age and that one wasn't wanted and the other only had a year left on his contract. Only transfers of value last season were Rodwell, Berba, Bassong, and Richardson. Only going to become more absurd as the new tv deal kicks in soon as well.

£10 mil will probs be the priceLooking at recent transfers within the league (plus Wolves who have a good financial position so was more the player pushing for a move). Jarvis 8, Fletcher 12, Long 8, Johnson 10, Dembele 16, Moses 10, Allen 16, and Adam 6. Pienaar and Dempsey's transfer fees are massive considering their age and that one wasn't wanted and the other only had a year left on his contract. Only transfers of value last season were Rodwell, Berba, Bassong, and Richardson. Only going to become more absurd as the new tv deal kicks in soon as well.

True but if thats the case then its too much for us. We can afford to spend £10mil on a 'decent' player, especially with Moyes' record on player acquisitions.

True but if thats the case then its too much for us. We can afford to spend £10mil on a 'decent' player, especially with Moyes' record on player acquisitions.

If/when we sell Fellaini. I'd say McCarthy is more than decent, he would get in our starting eleven as it stands. Only way to get a reasonable price now is to target clubs in unsustainable debt or in weaker leagues.

I really rate the lad and £8 - 10 mill is a fair price on the english market and in my eyes he is better than Ramsey, Jack and Joe Allen. im not saying he is better value than players playing in foriegn leagues and if Davey goes for him he is a better judge than i

• 4 weeks later...

Top player, totally different to Felli but would be a great signing,he would be the long term holding player, maybe play Mirallas behind Jelly and get a good right winger?

• 4 months later...

Would love to see him join Martinez next season but only if he's going to cost closer to the £10m mark or less than the £15m price tag being mentioned... I do think for £15m and above we can go for a couple of foreigners who will do just as good a job (maybe a bit more high risk high payout) if not better.

If Martinez blows 15m on 'any' player, I'll take a proverbial baseball bat and beat some sense into him.

We have a lot of positions that need filling, not just one or two.

I think we can do this if we sell Felli. I would say £10m is a fair price. Like the look of him as a player, very dynamic, intelligent, disciplined.