IGNORED

James McCarthy

Don't know how people can think £12 mil is excessive for McCarthy, but are offended by the same amount for Baines.

Are you being serious?

For a club in our financial position, we cannot afford to invest in players with no resale value (not often at least), that's true, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be asking for more than 12 million for Baines. He's one of the best left backs in the world and still has 4 or 5 seasons left in him, so I'm sure a club with money would be happy to pay that amount to get him, rather than investing in a McCarthy.

I like McCarthy myself but 12 million is madness. This transfer window alone has seen more promising midfielders moving for much less. In the Portuguese league. See Djuricic, Quintero, etc

But dont you see that is just the point?

There are many midfileders around that you can buy for your team that will add to the quality of your first team.

The trick is to find players in other positions that can add quality too. thats how you build a good team. We have a left back that actually adds quality and offensice power....that is why Baines is worth so much money.

There are simply no others for under 20 m that can replace a player of his quality, yet there are a hundred players if you look around that can do a great job in midfield for you.

Midfiled is not a nharder position than left back....just a different position.

If we were weak in the left back position then i am sure we would all be screaming out to strengthen that position.

How many > 28 y.o full backs have been sold for over 12 million compared to midfielders?

Actually I'll make this easy. Quick google, no left-back 28 or over has been sold for that price.

I like McCarthy myself but 12 million is madness. This transfer window alone has seen more promising midfielders moving for much less. In the Portuguese league. See Djuricic, Quintero, etc

Non of them are proven. Can Everton afford to take the risk?

Let's agree to disagree then. Obviously the Eredivise isn't as competitive, but I'd rather we spent 6 million Euros in one of the league's star players, who has been capped and scored a few goals for Serbia, than 12 million pounds in getting James McCarthy. Djuricic and Quintero were just 2 names that sprung to mind anyway.

Remember I'm not saying McCarthy isn't a good player, just that this 12 million pound price tag is massively inflated, nevermind the 20 million being mentioned. I'd be very disappointed if we signed him for that amount of money.

I'd be made up if we signed Djuricic, don't know much on the other player. The whole market is inflated now, £12 mil is probably the going rate for a player of McCarthy's ability/age he'd cost closer to 20 if he was English. There's been a massive increase in revenue from the new tv deal, an average player (JJ Shelvey) now going for £6 million.

How many > 28 y.o full backs have been sold for over 12 million compared to midfielders?

Actually I'll make this easy. Quick google, no left-back 28 or over has been sold for that price.

exactly.. thank you. someone else strengthening my point....No other left back is anywhere near to Baines quality. Thanks for the backing Bud!

Wow!!!

Baines was one of the most creative footballers in the whole of Europe last season if not the most (it's on here somewhere the most created chances stat for last season). He is not comparable to McCarthy regardless of position. Baines is in the top 5-10 in his position in the world, James McCarthy is a good central midfield player. Even with 2 yrs left and him being 28, Baines is well worth holding out for £18m. I'd be very disappointed if we spent £12m on McCarthy as there is better out there for cheaper... thing with Baines is that there aren't many better - maybe only Contreau (real player not the drink), Alaba, Marcelo, Alba... con't name many others off the top of my head.

I really like McCarthy but not for daft money. Like a lot of people have said you can get a lot better value abroad. What is Strootman gonna go for? probably not much more than McCarthy is being touted for. Capoue is another. As ive got older I watch less football from other teams/leagues etc so I cant say im a fountain of knowledge I will leave it to the scouts

^done^

pete i just always get the feeling you go against the tide just to get attention....you talk some absolute shite

that's all i have to say on this thread

Thought I had gave reasonable responses explaining why, just to be greeted with a tirade of objection with little substance to why. The majority swayed against Pienaar once they opened their eyes to his flaws (decision-making, shooting), and if Baines goes I expect most people will eventually reflect on it as a good deal.

Kadlec, a left back not far off Baines got transferred for less than £5 million this summer.

Shelvey who is half the player of McCarthy went for 6.

Thought I had gave reasonable responses explaining why, just to be greeted with a tirade of objection with little substance to why. The majority swayed against Pienaar once they opened their eyes to his flaws (decision-making, shooting), and if Baines goes I expect most people will eventually reflect on it as a good deal.

Kadlec, a left back not far off Baines got transferred for less than £5 million this summer.

the majority as you put it had an issue with a bad patch of form he had...don't make it sound like you were right all along...he's had far more good games than bad

really? think you need to take another look through the thread.

If Baines goes for anything less than 18m, I expect most people to be seriously fuckin livid.

Edited by Matt

Got to say, I disagree with the Pienaar bashing. Even though his stats were poor, he was still a major player and influence in the amazing stats Baines had.

He was bloody frustrating though last season. He has never been the best in the final thrird but normally be makes up for it with his good work before that (normally with Baines!). However this season he went through large spells of unproductivity and when that happens he isn't much use to anyone.

He is an important part of the team but he rightfully deserves stick at stages of last season. It was good to see him buck his ides up again towards the end though!

to buy him for 12 million would be a waste never mind 20 hate dw what a cunt wont be happy if another wigan player comes. get someone with a bit of class these young english players are never going to live up to the hype and teams seem to think a 18-24 year old player guarentees you 20 million these days. look abroad we need movement in our team and there's very few who have that from england, they all seem to stand still and pass sidewards, gets you nothing, neville in midfield proved that. you need to be able to pass forward on the floor and the rest of the team need to move, not seen enough of that except when we have beaten good teams in the past at goodison we always seem to be scared of keeping the ball i hope roberto can get them to relax in possestion but still burst with speed to attack.

18m for a 28 year old fullback is a good deal on our part. The bottom line is that fullbacks don't fetch the same prices that forwards do, and if Baines wants to leave, and we can get 16-18m for him, I tihnk we have to take it.

As for spending 20m on McCarthy? NO thanks. He's a good player, but not worth 20m.

Edited by Quinn31

to buy him for 12 million would be a waste never mind 20 hate dw what a cunt wont be happy if another wigan player comes. get someone with a bit of class these young english players are never going to live up to the hype and teams seem to think a 18-24 year old player guarentees you 20 million these days. look abroad we need movement in our team and there's very few who have that from england, they all seem to stand still and pass sidewards, gets you nothing, neville in midfield proved that. you need to be able to pass forward on the floor and the rest of the team need to move, not seen enough of that except when we have beaten good teams in the past at goodison we always seem to be scared of keeping the ball i hope roberto can get them to relax in possestion but still burst with speed to attack.

McCarthy isn't English.

I think we'll get him for the price we've initially offered. Wigan are trying to be a big club and demand stupid fees but it won't work. They're a small club, McCarthy will kick up a fuss if he's got a genuine chance of joining Everton in the Premier League.

Got to say, I disagree with the Pienaar bashing. Even though his stats were poor, he was still a major player and influence in the amazing stats Baines had.

He was bloody frustrating though last season. He has never been the best in the final thrird but normally be makes up for it with his good work before that (normally with Baines!). However this season he went through large spells of unproductivity and when that happens he isn't much use to anyone.

He is an important part of the team but he rightfully deserves stick at stages of last season. It was good to see him buck his ides up again towards the end though!

I would agree with a lot of that Bailey. After seeing him play as an attacking midfielder with two holding behind him yesterday, I'd be happy to see more of him in that role.

With Mirallas and Coleman on one side, Baines and another on the left, I think Pienaar would be good floating side to side to help link up play for all of them.

I don't think we need McCarthy, unless we sell Fellaini. I'd rather keep Fellaini.

Edited by StevO

I think we're dangerously low on midfield options really. Fellaini, Gibson and Osman are our only proven first team options for 3 positions! Then there's Barkley as well, but he's really only an option for one of the midfield positions (the one furthest forward). As much as I like Osman, he's a bit of a defensive liability. I would feel much more confident if he would be a bench option. I'm sure McCarthy would get into the team ahead of him. I'm also fairly confident he would get into the team ahead of Gibson as well and he'll likely miss a fair chunk of the season anyway.

So I think we need at least another holding player with technical ability. McCarthy is probably high on Martinez wish list for that role, Jorginho might be on it as well. I'd probably still be willing to pay 12m for McCarthy, but if they want much more we should move on to plan B. And I think we could do with another number 10 as well to be honest, though we likely won't have anymore funds for that.

Edited by StevO

I think we'll get him for the price we've initially offered. Wigan are trying to be a big club and demand stupid fees but it won't work. They're a small club, McCarthy will kick up a fuss if he's got a genuine chance of joining Everton in the Premier League.

Have we actually made an offer for him then?

I think we're dangerously low on midfield options really. Fellaini, Gibson and Osman are our only proven first team options for 3 positions! Then there's Barkley as well, but he's really only an option for one of the midfield positions (the one furthest forward). As much as I like Osman, he's a bit of a defensive liability. I would feel much more confident if he would be a bench option. I'm sure McCarthy would get into the team ahead of him. I'm also fairly confident he would get into the team ahead of Gibson as well and he'll likely miss a fair chunk of the season anyway.

So I think we need at least another holding player with technical ability. McCarthy is probably high on Martinez wish list for that role, Jorginho might be on it as well. I'd probably still be willing to pay 12m for McCarthy, but if they want much more we should move on to plan B. And I think we could do with another number 10 as well to be honest, though we likely won't have anymore funds for that.

I wouldn't say we are dangerously low. I agree we only have Fellaini, Gibson and Osman. But they are competing for two positions, not three. The third midfielder will be given a lot more freedom, just how Swansea used to set up under Roberto, and how Wigan did before they reverted to three at the back.

I'd like McCarthy, and I rate him, but the point we know can gather is that it will be him or Fellaini. And I'd rather keep Fellaini. If we could have both and have all four of them competing for the two places then great, but can Everton afford that? They will all be on healthy wages, I'm not so sure we can.

I agree we could do with another number ten, at the moment I think we only have Pienaar (I rate Barkley but I'd rather get him on loan somewhere for the full season to progress) but I think we could do with another to push us on. Maybe the Spanish kid will play there?

Edited by StevO

McCarthy versus Fellaini:- for me Felli has the strength, aerial ability and control to be the best of his type around. For me where he lacks is where mccarthy excels - he is a fully commited team player. He runs himself into the ground, is technically competent with a good array of passing. He is disciplined and consistent.

Fellaini has far greater potential but for me doesn't show it enough. For hald the price of what we can sell felli (£24m and mccarthy £12m is ok by me)