Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

James McCarthy

On 28/10/2018 at 15:23, hafnia said:

What was his last injury down to? Brittle bones?

No his last injury was down to schneiderlitus ....  putting his body on the line to clear up the lazy arsed fuck up of a team mate who can't be arsed. 

Do a bit of research into his injuries. You will find that Martinez and his wonderful physio skills were at fault to his spate of hammies.

McCarthy has earned our support... He was the only player in the middle who gave a toss when many had decided not to play for the shirt any more. 

I think the main person to blame for James McCarthys injuries is James McCarthy himself

How many times did he rush himself back to play for Ireland against the clubs wishes and advice ? 

I agree with Mark if we can get him fit we need to wrap him in cotton wool then sell to the first bidder

Its a shame because he was a quality player 

5 hours ago, aaron said:

You do realise if he refuses a call up and refuses to play he runs the risk of being banned from playing club football? It was Ireland calling him up when he was clearly unfit that ruined him for those seasons for me. His last injury was a freak accident that was no one's fault (swerve the Morgan shouts there).

I'd rather take the risk of keeping a quality midfielder and him getting injured again then selling him to a shite team for buttons and him shinning there. He is better than Morgan, Besic, Beni( still don't know what people see in him) and Davies so its a no brainer for me.

Post of the year!!!

7 hours ago, aaron said:

You do realise if he refuses a call up and refuses to play he runs the risk of being banned from playing club football? It was Ireland calling him up when he was clearly unfit that ruined him for those seasons for me. His last injury was a freak accident that was no one's fault (swerve the Morgan shouts there).

I'd rather take the risk of keeping a quality midfielder and him getting injured again then selling him to a shite team for buttons and him shinning there. He is better than Morgan, Besic, Beni( still don't know what people see in him) and Davies so its a no brainer for me.

Sorry but I’m not having that, he knows his own body and he knew he was taking a gamble with his career by playing for Ireland when he was clearly not fit

Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to play, he had a mouth he could have easily told Ireland he was not fit 

its not as if he would have pulling a fast one is it ?

He hadn’t played for Everton for months due to his glass hamstrings do you seriously think he would get a club ban for turning down the chance to play 2 games  in 48 hours for his country under those circumstances ?

57 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Sorry but I’m not having that, he knows his own body and he knew he was taking a gamble with his career by playing for Ireland when he was clearly not fit

Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to play, he had a mouth he could have easily told Ireland he was not fit 

Agreed Dunc. I also think it's pretty disrespectful to Everton(who gives him a living) that he would play a match for Ireland first after coming back from injury. I'm not in the "sell" camp, but he really annoyed the shit out of me when he did that. 

4 hours ago, sibdane said:

Agreed Dunc. I also think it's pretty disrespectful to Everton(who gives him a living) that he would play a match for Ireland first after coming back from injury. I'm not in the "sell" camp, but he really annoyed the shit out of me when he did that. 

The only reason I think we should sell is because I think he is finished.if I thought for one minute he could string 10 games together I would want him to stay.  I really rated him as a player but he is just another Darren Gibson

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The only reason I think we should sell is because I think he is finished.if I thought for one minute he could string 10 games together I would want him to stay.  I really rated him as a player but he is just another Darren Gibson

I don't think he's another Gibson, but I'm still reserving judgment. 

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Let's wait and see. He has the character and grit to prove himself worthy of a starting position.

Who would you leave out to put him in Steve. Surely non of our present starters.

12 hours ago, Bill said:

Who would you leave out to put him in Steve. Surely non of our present starters.

He’d slot in right away if Gana was injured. Alternatively, have Gomes, Gana, and McCarthy run midfield and push Sigurdsson further forward, with Walcott or Bernard dropping out. It’s nice to have options. 

36 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

He’d slot in right away if Gana was injured. Alternatively, have Gomes, Gana, and McCarthy run midfield and push Sigurdsson further forward, with Walcott or Bernard dropping out. It’s nice to have options. 

I never want to see Sigurdsson played as a winger ever again !

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

So as i said, he's not a starter.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

So as i said, he's not a starter.

The starters should not be the same for each game. I understand that right now we’re keeping the same group together, but that’s because of new players, new manager, and new tactics. That should not be the norm, though. So, to answer your question, McCarthy should be a starter, depending on who are the opponents. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

The starters should not be the same for each game. I understand that right now we’re keeping the same group together, but that’s because of new players, new manager, and new tactics. That should not be the norm, though. So, to answer your question, McCarthy should be a starter, depending on who are the opponents. 

I asked you who would you drop to make him a starter, your reply was he could replace Gana if he was unfit.

That is not a starter, its a replacement for the injured starter.

10 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

To answer your question about who he should replace in the current lineup, then Walcott. 

You could possibly play Siggy up front and push Richo out wide, but I think you’re stretching there mate 🤣

Is he above Morgan and Beni in the pecking order? Yeah. therefore they go first unless we are looking to make money which right now, we aren't.

Twitter rumour last night was him, Morgan and Niasse are all up for sale in Jan.

21 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I disagree. Consistency is the best thing for a team, even if a player is crap game after game but we win, I'd still be hesitant to mess with a winning formula. 

18 hours ago, Bill said:

Now your scratching around Steve, drop a winger to play another midfielder. !!

I'll leave it there mate.

Could go 433

Gana

Gomes McCarthy

Lookman Siggy Richarlison

That's not the worst line up for an attacking 5 I've ever seen, even if we've got no recognized striker there

Can't go along with that Matt, you'd drop Bernard, and Walcott to bring in Lookman and McCarthy !! .

If you really wanted to change the team you could play Bernard alongside Gomes, but certainly not McCarthy, I'm definitely going to leave it there because I,m quite happy to see the same 11 starting so why would anybody want to change it. ?

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Can't go along with that Matt, you'd drop Bernard, and Walcott to bring in Lookman and McCarthy !! .

If you really wanted to change the team you could play Bernard alongside Gomes, but certainly not McCarthy, I'm definitely going to leave it there because I,m quite happy to see the same 11 starting so why would anybody want to change it. ?

I'm saying that's how it could look, not that I want it that way.

4 hours ago, aaron said:

Is he above Morgan and Beni in the pecking order? Yeah. therefore they go first unless we are looking to make money which right now, we aren't.

Twitter rumour last night was him, Morgan and Niasse are all up for sale in Jan.

i would love that to be true.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s about having options. I think that lineup could be affective against the likes of City/Liverpool away.

I could see McCarthy coming in for Gana but I couldn't see them both in the middle with Gomes, but there's no reason to change it at the moment so if he's fit the best McCarthy should expect is a place on the bench, and I think Silva would pick Davies first if he had to replace either Gana or Gomes.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

It’s about having options. I think that lineup could be affective against the likes of City/Liverpool away.

So you would put out a weaker side when you play against the top teams. !! 😀😀

8 hours ago, Bill said:

So you would put out a weaker side when you play against the top teams. !! 😀😀

No but think about when we went to Kiev, played a lovely open, expansive game. 

How did that work out?

Would be nice to see him get a few minutes against Brighton, and receive a very loud and warm welcome back from the traveling Blues. Hopefully he can put his terrible spell of injuries behind him and concentrate on playing football, either with us or elsewhere. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

It's very easy to forget how good a fit James McCarthy was.  Martinez first major mistake was playing him when not recovered from his groin or hamstring injuries... then you had the koeman vs Ireland nonsense which tested McCarthys loyalty/common sense.

We could sell gana for £30 to £40m if McCarthy is anywhere near the player of 2012/13.  

He was as close to a combative gana... with a bit more playing ability and passing range. 

Sell schneiderlein for £15m if a team near the bottom is desperate enough... Thats Gomes paid for. 

I have high hopes from McCarthy if he can stay fit he is a fearless competitive player who never bottles it, he has an amazing engine good turn of speed and a crunching tackle that you rarely see in PL anymore, and he can play a bit of football as well.

Let's keep everything crossed for him if he comes back right it could be like we've just signed a new mid for 30-35mil, he can be that good.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Be lucky if he can play a handfull of games a season,  he's a very bad sicknote and we should sell to the first club who shows any interest.

He broke his leg Bill.  Bones are bones..... for me it could have been a blessing in disguise - he had been rushed back too early too often.  That's why he got the sick note rep. 

The last year or so could have given his body a chance to recover.  Let's hope so. 

44 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He broke his leg Bill.  Bones are bones..... for me it could have been a blessing in disguise - he had been rushed back too early too often.  That's why he got the sick note rep. 

The last year or so could have given his body a chance to recover.  Let's hope so. 

I'd be delighted if he came back and stayed fit Haf but cant see it, they never come back the same after a double break ( aka Coleman ).  Alas its not only the double leg break, he has also had too many Hamstrings.

3 hours ago, pete0 said:

He's not as injury prone as people make out. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/james-mccarthy/verletzungen/spieler/45333

Does seem to suffer a lot with his hamstring but that maybe due to coming back to soon or poor treatment, but as it's a recurring problem hopefully they have operated on it knowing he was out for a year with his fractures.

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

He wasn’t rushed back though, he defied the clubs advice and declared himself fit for international duty too many times

Yes the leg break was unfortunate and could have happened to anyone but for a guy with glass hamstrings he is a fucking idiot to go against the club doctors advice and declare himself fit for Ireland when he clearly wasn’t up to it

Was a great player but only got himself to blame for fucking up his own career 

Im with Bill if we can get him fit enough to pass a medical we should sell to the first bidder

6 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He wasn’t rushed back though, he defied the clubs advice and declared himself fit for international duty too many times

Yes the leg break was unfortunate and could have happened to anyone but for a guy with glass hamstrings he is a fucking idiot to go against the club doctors advice and declare himself fit for Ireland when he clearly wasn’t up to it

Im with Bill if we can get him fit enough to pass a medical we should sell to the first bidder

I'm referring to the 3 muscle tears in a row under Martinez.

The nonsense with Ireland? Who knows what went on there.... koeman and MON involved nothing surprises me. 

8 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

100% agree

On 29/12/2018 at 09:25, markjazzbassist said:

This for me too.  He’s weak, always injured.  

He's actually one of the strongest players on our roster. Would it be fair to call you weak if someone caused a massive break on one of the largest bones in your body?

28 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

He's actually one of the strongest players on our roster. Would it be fair to call you weak if someone caused a massive break on one of the largest bones in your body?

you're cherry picking your facts to suit your argument, look at his whole body of injury history, he's weak, the sooner we sell the better.  

18 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

West Ham can go take a running jump. We'd be complete fools to lose McCarthy, and a loan is the last thing he needs.

I think a loan would actually be good for him, but I'd rather it was in a different league

A loan to anybody is the right thing to do, he hasn't played for 12 months is it.??

Can't see him making it back to his former playing level, so its best to move him on.

The last 5 years tell us he won’t be able to play consistently. It’s a shame because he could have been great. Time to move him on and bring in a player of the same skill set who will actually be able to play regularly.