IGNORED

James McCarthy

I wouldn't say we are dangerously low. I agree we only have Fellaini, Gibson and Osman. But they are competing for two positions, not three. The third midfielder will be given a lot more freedom, just how Swansea used to set up under Roberto, and how Wigan did before they reverted to three at the back.

I'd like McCarthy, and I rate him, but the point we know can gather is that it will be him or Fellaini. And I'd rather keep Fellaini. If we could have both and have all four of them competing for the two places then great, but can Everton afford that? They will all be on healthy wages, I'm not so sure we can.

I agree we could do with another number ten, at the moment I think we only have Pienaar (I rate Barkley but I'd rather get him on loan somewhere for the full season to progress) but I think we could do with another to push us on. Maybe the Spanish kid will play there?

I wouldn't say we are low in midfield but i don't think we are a unit either. Gibson will always have fitness concerns, Osman, consistency, Fellaini(see Haf's post above) and i've never hidden the fact im no huge fan of Pienaar.

Loan Barkley? that's just crazy might as well just sell him at least he would bring some money in. Martinez should be looking to build a squad round the likes of him and Coleman. I really don't see the point of continually loaning youngsters, if they are NOT good enough to play first team, then they are not ever going to be. It's ok at 16/17/18 but after that they should be involved with first team imo.

I agree we could do with another number ten, at the moment I think we only have Pienaar (I rate Barkley but I'd rather get him on loan somewhere for the full season to progress) but I think we could do with another to push us on. Maybe the Spanish kid will play there?

I think Ossie has all the tools and ability to play that role too, although not every week as his legs aren't up to it. I could see him and Pienaar being rotated in that position, with Barkley their understudy as he learns the role.

I wouldn't say we are dangerously low. I agree we only have Fellaini, Gibson and Osman.

I think we're dangerously low on midfield options really. Fellaini, Gibson and Osman are our only proven first team options for 3 positions!

Ossie was a big concern for me last season, went missing far too often. Great player on his day, but he is a squad player for me if we are to improve in the engine room and progress.

Since when is Ossie a CM though, or DCM? He was again played out of position most of last season and most of his career under Moyes. He is an AMC, sitting behind the striker, jinking and turning the on-rushing defenders and laying it off to the striker.

Which makes me agree with Steve_E. We are very low - there is only Felli and Gibson to play CM. Pienaar, Ossie, Barkley, even Naismith are too attacking to sit and hold the midfield, which leaves us looking at the youth to the likes of Junior and Lundstrum that could do that job.

Ossie was a big concern for me last season, went missing far too often. Great player on his day, but he is a squad player for me if we are to improve in the engine room and progress.

Me too, but as we've just given him a new contract it looks like he'll be around for this season at least so that's the only position I'd be comfortable to see him from time to time. Too slow to play wide and too weak to play a deeper CM role.

Must admit he is one of my concerns too. I think we have him and Barkley who are 50/50 type players at the different stages of their career. Barkley is improving all the time but isnt the finished article and his performance will be up and down and Osman is probably now starting the decline of his career where I wouldnt want to have to play him week in week out. If both stay fit and can share that attacking midfield role I would be reasonably happy but that is unlikely.

Since when is Ossie a CM though, or DCM? He was again played out of position most of last season and most of his career under Moyes. He is an AMC, sitting behind the striker, jinking and turning the on-rushing defenders and laying it off to the striker.

Which makes me agree with Steve_E. We are very low - there is only Felli and Gibson to play CM. Pienaar, Ossie, Barkley, even Naismith are too attacking to sit and hold the midfield, which leaves us looking at the youth to the likes of Junior and Lundstrum that could do that job.

Yeh thats a good point too. I could see Junior doing pretty well in that defensive role as he looks pretty solid on the ball and whilst I havent seen enough of his positioning etc I think he has the technical ability to step up.

For me, our midfield is nothing like the strength it once was, either in numbers or class / form.

We shouldn't presume we are selling Fellaini just because we want to invest in this area. It is by far our weakest, and by far our priority in my opinion. I would imagine that it will be a hardball deal that could take until late in the window in order to get the guys we want.

It is possible that so far we've milked the cheap and cheerful, in order to capture main targets.

I've never liked the idea of Osman playing behind the striker. He's got great feet, quick over five yards or so. But in all the years I can't remember him playing enough balls through to the front man for me to want him to play up there.

I don't think he's solid enough to play deeper either,but as back up to Fellaini and Gibson I don't mind.

My point about McCarthy was that I think we can only get him if we lose Fellaini and I'd rather just keep him.

With Barkley, yeah the kids got talent, but I doubt Roberto will have him down as a first choice. In which case I'd rather see him go and get 40 games next season with another club an improve, he's missed enough football already.

Between junior, lundstrum and Barkley, chances are none of them will make it. I'm not doubting they have talent, but about 9/10 don't make it. Baxter, Kissock, Vaughan, not trying to be on a downer about these kids, just remember all the kids who didn't make it while we hope the next lot do.

Edited by StevO

I've never liked the idea of Osman playing behind the striker. He's got great feet, quick over five yards or so. But in all the years I can't remember him playing enough balls through to the front man for me to want him to play up there.

I don't think he's solid enough to play deeper either,but as back up to Fellaini and Gibson I don't mind.

And his shooting ability is, well, embarrassing.

Once in a while he gets it right and scores a beaut.

The once in a while bit means he shouldn't be considered to play that role. You want someone there who will do it more consistently than that. And, like you, I don't think he plays enough through balls etc to warrant playing there as well.

can you remember how many times hes played in that position, rather than RW/LW or CDM? Cant make the pass if youre not playing in the position!

Agree on his shooting though, its more miss than hit!

can you remember how many times hes played in that position, rather than RW/LW or CDM? Cant make the pass if youre not playing in the position!

Agree on his shooting though, its more miss than hit!

I know he hasn't played there a lot, but in 11 years under Moyes surely if he could do it he would have had more chances? I know he preferred Cahill in that role, but now I'm actually thinking about Moyes changing his style. I've lost it. Ignore me. Where has this come from?

Meltdown.

(Edit) not a Moyes bashing post by the way.

Edited by StevO

My point about McCarthy was that I think we can only get him if we lose Fellaini and I'd rather just keep him.

With Barkley, yeah the kids got talent, but I doubt Roberto will have him down as a first choice. In which case I'd rather see him go and get 40 games next season with another club an improve, he's missed enough football already.

Between junior, lundstrum and Barkley, chances are none of them will make it. I'm not doubting they have talent, but about 9/10 don't make it. Baxter, Kissock, Vaughan, not trying to be on a downer about these kids, just remember all the kids who didn't make it while we hope the next lot do.

I think he is probably better there than you think. I agree that both him (and Pienaar) do a lot of the hard work before fluffing their lines but their movement, work rate and ability to read the game (even if they can always execute it) mean that they are still the best players for the job in the current squad.

I would much rather have either of them in that position than anyone else (bar Barkley on occasions).

Just reading the thoughts on other's regarding Osman and playing him in that role and Bilyaletdinov's name popped into My head straigt away I'd have loved to have seen Him here under Martinez and in the kind of system he plays I personally think he'd have flourished.

Anyway random thoughts aside I'd love to have McCarthy here but only for the right money £10/12m but does have the potential to become a more valuable player.

If we spend 13.5m on Mccarthy we want our heads testing.

How much was Gibson again ?

If we would have bid for McCarthy, Whelan would have confirmed it on Sky News immediately. I agree we shouldn't be paying that much for him though. On the other hand, Kevin Strootman went to Roma for 15m a couple of days ago though and I think he's of a similar quality to McCarthy. I don't think it's a particularly outrageous amount of money for him, I just don't think we should be the ones paying it.

Edited by Steve_E

No chance we're spending that much money on a central midfielder, unless other players are already as good as out the door. Someone to cover Gibbo definitely makes sense, but we're not a club that spends 13.5 million on cover.

Besides which, Mail reports we already failed with a 12m bid and as already pointed out, we've not heard squat from Whelan and he'd be all over this.

• 2 weeks later...

£15m is about £5m too much - that's being conservative. However he does tick many boxes in terms of what we need. He has tremendous potential, professionalism, and he is a very good player who will improve with quality around him.

On the scale of things £15m ain't a crazy amount to pay for a player who can be one of the best of his type, it's just too much for the likes of us.

£15m is about £5m too much - that's being conservative. However he does tick many boxes in terms of what we need. He has tremendous potential, professionalism, and he is a very good player who will improve with quality around him.

On the scale of things £15m ain't a crazy amount to pay for a player who can be one of the best of his type, it's just too much for the likes of us.

I agree. it's clubs like the shite that pay 20m for Jordan Henderson that give teams like Wigan the idea their players are worth more than they are.

Ive got to say I really really rate McCarthy. You know when you watch other teams and some players just stand out a mile and you think "how good is he?". I know its a lot of money but Caulker has just gone to Cardiff for £9 mill and has made probably 20 starts in the prem? McCarthy has has 2-3 seasons in the centre of midfield in the prem in a struggling team and SHONE. He is a box to box midfielder that breaks up play, can get on the end of things and knows exactly what Martinez wants and obviously thrives on it. His wages wont be massive and if we can get him for £13 mill or roundabouts will be money well spent

I rate this lad too and think he would be the perfect addition to the squad. The Independent and the Express are both reporting today that Newcastle are interested in him now, and the Indy article says that although Wigan value him at £20m, both Newcastle and Everton believe he can be signed for "significantly less".

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/wigans-james-mccarthy-next-in-line-with-bafetimbi-gomis-on-verge-of-newcastle-switch-8744474.html

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/419427/Newcastle-looking-to-see-off-Everton-for-Wigan-s-James-McCarthy?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-sport-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Sport+Feed%29

Well let's hope that "significantly" is about £10m less because he'll get his arse kicked good and proper by some on here if we sign him for more and he doesn't bag 50 goals and win The Golden Boot, 3 seasons in a row! That'll learn the useless fucker! :)