IGNORED

James McCarthy

During a press conference for the community shield Owen Coyle said

At this moment as we sit here I can honestly say there has been no so called interest in any of our players and long may that continue. I'm aware of how the transfer window works and that could change at anytime

During a press conference for the community shield Owen Coyle said

At this moment as we sit here I can honestly say there has been no so called interest in any of our players and long may that continue. I'm aware of how the transfer window works and that could change at anytime

He will stay there imo, i don't see us or spurs paying the quoted fee that Wigan are looking for.

I wouldn't mind McCarthy at Everton but I hope it isn't a replacement for Fellaini if he goes We could get up to 25mil or more for Felli and if Martinez goes we need someone else lets spend 15-20mil on McCarthy then that would be a joke. Ok Moyes was interested in this player but I don't think he would have paid 15 million for him. If he was that good then Moyes would be paying that much at United.

5 -7.5 million - YES

7.5 & over - NO.

Problem we have is that Whelan will price him, relative to how much Fellaini is sold by. He'll be keeping an eye on the price and quote, relative to that.

It happened with Carroll (Torres £50m, Carrol goes for £35).

I'm worried we'll have to pay over the top for him. Cracking player though, who I think will only get better but not worth over £8m.

I wouldn't mind McCarthy at Everton but I hope it isn't a replacement for Fellaini if he goes We could get up to 25mil or more for Felli and if Martinez goes we need someone else lets spend 15-20mil on McCarthy then that would be a joke. Ok Moyes was interested in this player but I don't think he would have paid 15 million for him. If he was that good then Moyes would be paying that much at United.

5 -7.5 million - YES

7.5 & over - NO.

This. Man U and Arsenal both need a similar sort of player, also Man City signed a couple of midfielders but so far it's only us and Spurs that have shown an interest, so it's got to be for sensible money no more than £8-9m.

He's a 22-year-old who could be our midfield glue for the next ten years so I'd be comfortable with us paying £10-12m (preferably less, of course!) , which would leave the same again for 1-2 other additions.

I could maybe justify £10m at a stretch but more than that is crazy for a championship player, £10m was a lot for Zaha.

Edited by Simon

I don't feel we should spend more than £10m on McCarthy, but this constant reference to him as a "championship player" is a little over the top. He performed well in the premier league and should be thought of accordingly. It's not as if he couldn't hack it.

At the end of the day he is a championship player, and whilst i do think he would be a useful addition, 3 goals and 2 assists in 41 games last season for Fellaini's potential replacement. There not great stats imo not at the figures being mentioned.

Edited by Simon

There are better european options available at a lot less than the money quoted for McCathy. As said his assist and goals don't set the world on fire, and I don't see any of the so call big clubs hovering around for him as a 22 year old with Premiership experience.

There are better european options available at a lot less than the money quoted for McCathy. As said his assist and goals don't set the world on fire, and I don't see any of the so call big clubs hovering around for him as a 22 year old with Premiership experience.

Very true, we should be looking for continental players. Get much more bang for buck.

<br />At the end of the day he is a championship player, and whilst i do think he would be a useful addition, 3 goals and 2 assists in 41 games last season for Fellaini's potential replacement. There not great stats imo not at the figures being mentioned.<br />

<br />To be fair, I don't think that's his game. He's more the 'assist the assister' glue of the midfield who breaks up play and redistributes the ball to the attacking players. His stats for interceptions and completed passes were way up there last season.<br /> Edited by efc1111

<br />To be fair, I don't think that's his game. He's more the 'assist the assister' glue of the midfield who breaks up play and redistributes the ball to the attacking players. His stats for interceptions and completed passes were way up there last season.<br />

Yes his completion stats are like 84% but his key pass completion stat is only a meagre 0.9 and his interception ratings are only 2.3 tackles a game with an average match rating of 6.8.

Don't want to get into stat wars with you mate, just think this could get very expensive if we are not careful especially as he's hardly in huge demand, i think we can do better elsewhere.

If he comes in, it would be for a holding midfield role in all probability. You can use Squawka (a free service which uses Opta Sports stats) to compare him to players who perform a similar role at the top clubs (Barry, Carrick, Arteta). In terms of raw number of successful passes, McCarthy is 6th in the entire league and he has a very good completion rate of 87% (Barry has 86%, Carrick 88%, Arteta 91%). He's made 34 key passes which means he's 55th in the entire league (Barry is 56th , Carrick 57th, Arteta 112th).

On the defensive side of the game, he had 74 succesful tackles last season which means he's 17th in the entire league, he also had a very good 75% success rate. Arteta was 15th in the league and had a 69% success rate, Carrick 42nd and had a 70% success rate, Barry 54th and he had a very good 80% success rate (if he had continued on the same minutes per tackle rate he'd have finished only a bit below McCarthy if he had played as much as he did: Barry had a succesful tackle once every 47 minutes, McCarthy once every 46). McCarthy isn't as succesful in headed duels though as he only wins 42% of them and didn't win a whole lot of them in raw numbers (Arteta won 52%, Carrick 55%, Barry 58%). McCarthy was 38th in the league for blocked shots at 19, Carrick blocked 19 as well but if you'd adjust for time played he'd have done better than McCarthy, Arteta 7 and Barry 6. McCarthy made more clearances than the others as well. McCarthy was 17th in the league for interceptions at 76, Carrick had exactly the same amount but did so in a bit less time, Barry had 43 interceptions (at a rate of once every 56 minutes, McCarthy made an interception once every 44 minutes), Arteta was 5th in the entire league in intereceptions.

If we're gonna buy in England, he's about the best we're gonna do.

EDIT: one reason for McCarthy's heading stats being a bit below par, might be that Wigan played 3 at the back a lot so one of them probably steps up for a majority of the hoofs from goal keepers etc.

Im just concerned about value for money, if the fee was £10m or less then im all for it, i said back when Roberto was first linked with us that id like to see McCarthy here, just not at £15m. However looking at some of those stats compared to others(as you posted above) then maybe your right, maybe he is the best we are going to get.

Edited by Simon

I cant see why everybody is saying £12 mill is too much money. You say the top clubs aren't sniffing and why do you think that is? they'd rather spend £30 mill on a Brazilian who isn't capped for his country and is 28! that's the be all and end all he isn't fashionable and dare I say it he is irish. If he was "English" he would be fashionable. The lads class and I guarantee if Felli goes Martinez will sign him as he knows what Martinez likes to play and will fit in straight away to his style.

I've said before, I would sacrifice the extra bit of oomph you get from a fully focused felli for a player who gives a little less far more often. McCarthy looks a proper player to me, with the likes of Gibson and Barkley around him he can be a real string puller.

He reminds me of Danny murphy, better in terms of athleticism and defensive play. But murphy was a ridiculously under rated footballer - someone fans ignored. I would have loved him at Everton. This lad seems to have more in terms of potential. Yes from me. £10m max, £8m plus add ons.

I've said before, I would sacrifice the extra bit of oomph you get from a fully focused felli for a player who gives a little less far more often. McCarthy looks a proper player to me, with the likes of Gibson and Barkley around him he can be a real string puller.

He reminds me of Danny murphy, better in terms of athleticism and defensive play. But murphy was a ridiculously under rated footballer - someone fans ignored. I would have loved him at Everton. This lad seems to have more in terms of potential. Yes from me. £10m max, £8m plus add ons.

Bollocks! I agree with this ! :shaking fist:

I agree that the sums quoted in the media are excessive. But I don't think he's gonna go for that amount of money. As Coyle has said, no enquiries for any of his players have been made. That basically means all of those articles about 15m offers being rejected and 20m being demanded were either completely made up by the press or leaked by someone who'd profit from those rumours: Wigan. Remember how much Everton was gonna sell Rooney for? I know we all love a bargain but just look at some of the transfer fees this summer, 8-12m is a regular amount of money for a good player these days.

We wont get him for under 10 mil. So we either dont get him, or a lot of people on here are going to get disappointed.

If we are going to buy him id be ok with up to 15 mil but id prefer it if we bought a continental player. I know its risky as they have no PL experience but come on, how different in terms of class is the Pl compared to Italian, Spanish, German top flight? Sure, slightly different style but thats it.