Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

James McCarthy

38 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

BBC are reporting the fee is £3M

something is better than nothing and the wages are gone. hallelujah

15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Don't see why were letting him go now he's back fit. 

because he will be injured again in another 20 minutes.

17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

because he will be injured again in another 20 minutes.

He broke his leg in a tackle (giving his all for the club). Leg breaks don't usually cause too much of an issue, I'm no physio but I'd assume if anything the extra rest will have helped sort out his hamstring issues as he's been unable to be rushed back. If he's back to 100% we've lost a very good player. 

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

What do you not get about the fact that McCarthy broke his leg because he was the only member of our team who gave a sh## that day? He gave his all for the team and all you can do is imply he’s worthless. 

and yet he continually went on national duty when he WAS STILL INJURED and then stole a wage from our club after getting injured time after time when he was half fit on national duty.  ROI didn't get stuck with the wage and medical bills, we did, all because of his stupidity and selfishness.

I see him more as a hard-luck/sympathetic figure than a villian. His career has been shit since Martinez got sacked. New manger in RK to impress, some untimely hamstring issues, and he got and followed some really poor advise from that dipshit ROI manager - O'Neal? - that eventually cost him almost the entire second half of the season, and certainly didn't endear him to the club or RK. Seems like his fitness was still an issue starting the following season and ROI duty further (rightly) infuriated RK. Then when he was finally fit he suffers a freak play where Rondon unleashed a shot that caught his leg before the ball snapping his tib-fib. 

He was a 23 year old rising EPL star under Martinez, now he is a 29 year old lost in the shuffle of multiple injuries, 4 different managerial styles and a squad that only has 2-3 of the teammates he started with. I honestly think more than anything he has tried to fight for his place on the pitch. Some rotten injury luck, a club that has turned over practically the entire squad, managers and owners over a few seasons isn't his doing. Some poor decisions when pulled between club and country are ultimately on him. 

I think he's still got the skill and grit to be an effective starter in the PL, but the relationship between him and the club appears unrecoverable, it's simply time to part for all involved. Hopefully a change in scenery and luck will allow him a few more productive years on the back half of his career. 

5 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

I see him more as a hard-luck/sympathetic figure than a villian. His career has been shit since Martinez got sacked. New manger in RK to impress, some untimely hamstring issues, and he got and followed some really poor advise from that dipshit ROI manager - O'Neal? - that eventually cost him almost the entire second half of the season, and certainly didn't endear him to the club or RK. Seems like his fitness was still an issue starting the following season and ROI duty further (rightly) infuriated RK. Then when he was finally fit he suffers a freak play where Rondon unleashed a shot that caught his leg before the ball snapping his tib-fib. 

He was a 23 year old rising EPL star under Martinez, now he is a 29 year old lost in the shuffle of multiple injuries, 4 different managerial styles and a squad that only has 2-3 of the teammates he started with. I honestly think more than anything he has tried to fight for his place on the pitch. Some rotten injury luck, a club that has turned over practically the entire squad, managers and owners over a few seasons isn't his doing. Some poor decisions when pulled between club and country are ultimately on him. 

I think he's still got the skill and grit to be an effective starter in the PL, but the relationship between him and the club appears unrecoverable, it's simply time to part for all involved. Hopefully a change in scenery and luck will allow him a few more productive years on the back half of his career. 

I was happy when we signed him and thought he could've been one of the better CMs in the league, but injuries have definitely hurt his time here. 

I'm hoping he goes on to be successful, but I think this is the best decision the club could make regarding him. Good luck James. 

8 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

BBC are reporting the fee is £3M

Lets just not mention this one when waxing lyrical about Brands' negotiation skills if it turns out to be true!

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yeah I saw that, what happened to the £8m offer that was refused. ??

What happened is you shouldn't just believe everything.

Driving down to Palace for a Medical now,  there is no connection to the Zaha transfer.

Everton midfielder James McCarthy is currently driving to London after Crystal Palace agreed a fee £3m to sign the 28yo Republic of Ireland international from #EFC. He will undergo a medical and finalise personal terms on Wednesday before completing a move to Selhurst Park #CPFC

9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

and yet he continually went on national duty when he WAS STILL INJURED and then stole a wage from our club after getting injured time after time when he was half fit on national duty.  ROI didn't get stuck with the wage and medical bills, we did, all because of his stupidity and selfishness.

Mark you cant just refuse a call up or you run the risk of being banned at club level and fined. He either retired from international football for good or had to go. If anyone is to blame its Martin O'Neill and the Ireland FA, not McCarthy.

2 hours ago, aaron said:

Mark you cant just refuse a call up or you run the risk of being banned at club level and fined. He either retired from international football for good or had to go. If anyone is to blame its Martin O'Neill and the Ireland FA, not McCarthy.

Yes you can players do it all the time and as far as getting banned from Republic of Ireland they have no quality who are they going to replace McCarthy with I just don’t see that being an issue 

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yes you can players do it all the time and as far as getting banned from Republic of Ireland they have no quality who are they going to replace McCarthy with I just don’t see that being an issue 

His point is that if he refuses a call up he could get a ban from playing for his club. 

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He would have been banned from club football, not international. You cant reject a international call up just like that, Liverpool almost lost Matip to suspension last year or the year before, he ended up retiring from international football to get around it. If the country in question takes it further the player can be banned from playing club football.

26 minutes ago, StevO said:

His point is that if he refuses a call up he could get a ban from playing for his club. 

Not if he wasn't fit, he never played a game for us before he was called up, its the club that should have put their foot down to stop it if he wasn't fit.

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not if he wasn't fit, he never played a game for us before he was called up, its the club that should have put their foot down to stop it if he wasn't fit.

And I'm sure McCarthy or a representative had discussions with MON/ROI about his fitness. I can only assume that McCarthy told them he was fit.

57 minutes ago, StevO said:

again i have seen americans and english do this time and again and say it's due to injury.  guess what?  when they are healthy they are called in again.  sitting out due to attitude (Vela) is another thing.  but people get injury.  also if he walks into the side half injured you think a fully fit mccarthy is gonna be rejected because he said no due to injury last time?  hell no.  they need him.   they are dire

42 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

And I'm sure McCarthy or a representative had discussions with MON/ROI about his fitness. I can only assume that McCarthy told them he was fit.

That's why he's never played again since, and has ruined his career. Goodbye from me, glad to see him go.

8 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Because he is not a winger and plays the same position?

I wonder why Steve Parish is expecting him to provide creativity and not defensive stability then. 

Edit - he is, in fact, a CM, but it’s hardly the same role of McCarthy. I think we’ll still be ok.