IGNORED

Why do people hate America ?

Avinalaff

We're just patriotic like any other country. We enjoy our fourth of July and other holidays while the British for example, or other outside nations, won't give it too much attention, or view it as a non event, and it's how I feel with Saint George's Day for example, and anyone else non relevant. Our politics aren't much different from other countries as mentioned. As Matthew put it, as the world's biggest nation, we invariably get all the spotlight or focus, or there's more attention to any incidents than you'd find in any other given country for example.

Some of the laws back home were always fucking ridiculous, and each state has their own list of things you should avoid or abide with, but as someone mentioned in an above response, the guy who stole the twinkie from the store and got a jail sentence on the back of two previous misdemeanors, is not above ludicrous. And Jail time back there, is nothing like what they provide in this country these days. People don't know they're fucking born

I just read an article entitled "10 Things Americans do that annoy Brits" and I started laughing , then I thought "How true is that?" By the end I wanted to stab an American and save the world.

Then out of fairness I went to another one that was called "10 Things That Brits Do That Annoys Americans." It made me think a bit.

People in glass houses and all that stuff.

I think folks really need to take a long hard look at themselves sometimes and forgive the folks from a different culture. We can speak to each other so easily so why the misunderstandings? WE ARE NOT THE SAME. But that is what makes the world go round. If Americans were just like us it would make a boring internet.

Lets continue to poke fun but please folks do it in a friendly way. THEY are not as bad as WE make out (and vice versa)

I just read an article entitled "10 Things Americans do that annoy Brits" and I started laughing , then I thought "How true is that?" By the end I wanted to stab an American and save the world.

Then out of fairness I went to another one that was called "10 Things That Brits Do That Annoys Americans." It made me think a bit.

People in glass houses and all that stuff.

I think folks really need to take a long hard look at themselves sometimes and forgive the folks from a different culture. We can speak to each other so easily so why the misunderstandings? WE ARE NOT THE SAME. But that is what makes the world go round. If Americans were just like us it would make a boring internet.

Lets continue to poke fun but please folks do it in a friendly way. THEY are not as bad as WE make out (and vice versa)

They should invent their own language for starters. I'm tired of seeing options for 'UK English' or 'USA English'. It should be either English, or Dissleckzig.

Tomorrow will be Obama's second inauguration while we're at it - with 'Lady Gaga' in attendance for fucks sake. One of our country's less favorable exports..

I can appreciate why some would have concepts about our way of life or how we may be percieved from an outside perspective, but once again, it works both ways, and it's pretty much like that for most nations on earth you could think of. Nonetheless as before, wouldn't wish to be anything other.

Tomorrow will be Obama's second inauguration while we're at it - with 'Lady Gaga' in attendance for fucks sake. One of our country's less favorable exports..

I can appreciate why some would have concepts about our way of life or how we may be percieved from an outside perspective, but once again, it works both ways, and it's pretty much like that for most nations on earth you could think of. Nonetheless as before, wouldn't wish to be anything other.

I don't know what's worse; the fact that Lady Gaga is in attendance, the fact that this doesn't surprise me, or the fact that she's actual a tolerable choice when juxtaposing her to Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, the Black Eyed Peas, and Pitbull.

I figure you guys will get a kick out of this. Background information: the state of Louisiana has a law that essentially allows science teachers to teach creationism in science classrooms. Despite the fact that this is blatantly unconstitutional, Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal, a favorite for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, signed the bill into action. Here, we get to listen to a Louisiana senator completely botch the concept of evolution. Again, these are the kinds of people in charge of education in America. Numerous studies, polls, and censuses consistently show that anywhere between 25-35% of American citizens do not "believe" in evolution.

Howard, I did a list of most of the true, but asinine, laws of respective states in the general index some time back, but never got it finished, but worth a look if you can find it.

You can't chew off people's legs in Rhode Island for example. You get the idea

Well yeah, we have a ton of those. It's illegal to wear slippers in New York past 10 P.M. Those are pretty whimsical and mostly brought up for comedic purposes. This is an actual threat to reality, though.

Being an American citizen, there will obviously be some bias regarding my feelings toward the country. I love living here and all the diversity is amazing. I think the portrayal of Americans overseas is a bit misguided, but that's to be expected with our media acting as our guides (trying to, anyway).

I'm from Mississippi, the majority of people here love their guns and eating, but the majority of Mississipians doesn't define the "average" American.

I'll admit we have some ridiculous laws and policies though(*cough* drug policy *cough*) dry.png

Edited by TonkaRoost

Are there countries that kill for such a small amount? Singapore is famously draconian but you need to have a lot more than three grams of anything to be executed even there.

not sure of the quantities mate, but remember hearing about 2 Australian backpackers who were sentenced to death for a couple of joints. Whether details were exaggerated I dont know...

We talk about the harshness of some countries punishments, but to the above, in Singapore they take action for even 'inappropriate behavior' towards women, 'inappropriate touching', and even 'inappropriate language' can constitute a jail sentence of up to two years. Or though lesser punishments would seem more likely, such as a caning, mere fine, or a 'variety of punishments', whatever the fuck that entails.

Story is, most of us may complain from time to time about where we reside, but on the face of it, we're really qute liberated with regards to many other countries around the world and how even the most innocuous things we may see, can result in harsh outcomes by others who deem them beyond the pale. I wouldn't last five minutes in some of these nations damn it.

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere a little while ago that 50% of Americans think that the Moon landings were fake. And that 50% of Americans think that wrestling is real,

Are they the same 50% or the other 50%?

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Going to do Route 66 in August 2013 for a month....maybe then I'll have some real insights. Until then, I can only look as far as the Walmartians

I read somewhere a little while ago that 50% of Americans think that the Moon landings were fake. And that 50% of Americans think that wrestling is real,

Are they the same 50% or the other 50%?

Just my 2 bob's worth.

Going to do Route 66 in August 2013 for a month....maybe then I'll have some real insights. Until then, I can only look as far as the Walmartians

Yes, those are the same 50%.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...