IGNORED

OCD Moderation - Aaaaaaaaaargh !

Avinalaff

shaking%20fist.png It's one thing keeping a forum tidy, but it's another being too clinical.

Far too many threads locked in my opinion, not that my opinion is worth Jack..

If a new guy starts a thread, why not just roll with it? Does anybody really care if we've had a similar thread before? Give the newbies a break, and let them make a thread. It gives them a chance to find their feet, and get to know a few people, and encourages them to post. The last thing you do is scare them off by moderating them immidiately, or being an OCD twit and telling them somebody already posted it. You can always merge the thread when the conversation has died down, Be patient people.

If there is one thing that gets on my proverbial tits (forgive my French) it's posting something, and then having some tired of life boring sod post a link to tell me it's already been posted in 1763 BC, and that it has to be locked etc. Fine, if we both start threads in the same afternoon, but if Fellaini cuts his hair off for charity, and a member posts a thread about his baldness, does it really need to be merged with an existing thread?

Doing this kills conversation stone dead.

If anybody ever quotes me with a link to another post to tell me something has already been posted they will be immidiately abused in a shockingly painful way, and have very nasty pictures of their dismembered body sent to their wives. shaking fist.pngmajor%20overreaction%20alert.gif

The world has been turning for a long time, and nobody is the first to post 'anything'. Capiche?

If I watch a great band tonight, and want to share the experience with other members, the best way to do this is for them to see a new thread title, as opposed to them simply seeing another 'What are you listening to' thread etc.

Having it's own thread keeps it specific to that band, and gives it it's own reference, where as merging it with a 'What are you listening to' diminishes it's interest, reduces it's impact, and destroys any hope of gaining forum traffic from the Google search engines.

If I see a new post in 'What are you watching, or listening to', I normally can't be arsed opening it, as it's either Dalzier listing his songs as they happen, or another post regarding some band I've never heard of nor like. If It's something I 'do' like, and try to find it again, I now have oover 100 pages of crap to trawl through trying to find it.

Why not give entertainment it's own board, and then if folk want to start a thread within it, it's already in the right place, rather than it getting merged etc?

Talking of search engines .........

If you entitle a thread correctly, such as 'Fellaini found in bed with a Camel', instead of just 'Fellaini' like many here do, it will be more interesting, easier to find, memorable, and will get much better results in both the sites search facility, and the Google search, which again gets us more traffic.

Somebody must get bored, and look for things to do lol. shaking fist.png

It's bad moderating. Whoever told you it was good moderation lied. doh.giflaugh.png

I love you, but you get me angry ha ha. celebrate.gif

It makes sense to have one specific thread, as you can then look over it and see how the player has developed and what stories they have been involved in. It grind my gears when there is multiple threads about one player, especially if its a transfer rumour imagine how many Robbie Savage threads they'd have been. The site would be littered if we opened a thread every time we watched a movie to talk about it. Plus it makes it easier to track in the future as as most threads digress a little. It keeps the forum neat and tidy which has a better appeal to new traffic. I occasionaly voyeur onto other Everton forums when it's quiet here, but give up as they're too messy.

shaking%20fist.png It's one thing keeping a forum tidy, but it's another being too clinical.

Far too many threads locked in my opinion, not that my opinion is worth Jack..

If a new guy starts a thread, why not just roll with it? Does anybody really care if we've had a similar thread before? Give the newbies a break, and let them make a thread. It gives them a chance to find their feet, and get to know a few people, and encourages them to post. The last thing you do is scare them off by moderating them immidiately, or being an OCD twit and telling them somebody already posted it. You can always merge the thread when the conversation has died down, Be patient people.

If there is one thing that gets on my proverbial tits (forgive my French) it's posting something, and then having some tired of life boring sod post a link to tell me it's already been posted in 1763 BC, and that it has to be locked etc. Fine, if we both start threads in the same afternoon, but if Fellaini cuts his hair off for charity, and a member posts a thread about his baldness, does it really need to be merged with an existing thread?

Doing this kills conversation stone dead.

If anybody ever quotes me with a link to another post to tell me something has already been posted they will be immidiately abused in a shockingly painful way, and have very nasty pictures of their dismembered body sent to their wives. shaking%20fist.pngmajor%20overreaction%20alert.gif

The world has been turning for a long time, and nobody is the first to post 'anything'. Capiche?

If I watch a great band tonight, and want to share the experience with other members, the best way to do this is for them to see a new thread title, as opposed to them simply seeing another 'What are you listening to' thread etc.

Having it's own thread keeps it specific to that band, and gives it it's own reference, where as merging it with a 'What are you listening to' diminishes it's interest, reduces it's impact, and destroys any hope of gaining forum traffic from the Google search engines.

If I see a new post in 'What are you watching, or listening to', I normally can't be arsed opening it, as it's either Dalzier listing his songs as they happen, or another post regarding some band I've never heard of nor like. If It's something I 'do' like, and try to find it again, I now have oover 100 pages of crap to trawl through trying to find it.

Why not give entertainment it's own board, and then if folk want to start a thread within it, it's already in the right place, rather than it getting merged etc?

Talking of search engines .........

If you entitle a thread correctly, such as 'Fellaini found in bed with a Camel', instead of just 'Fellaini' like many here do, it will be more interesting, easier to find, memorable, and will get much better results in both the sites search facility, and the Google search, which again gets us more traffic.

Somebody must get bored, and look for things to do lol. shaking%20fist.png

It's bad moderating. Whoever told you it was good moderation lied. doh.giflaugh.png

I love you, but you get me angry ha ha. celebrate.gif

Have you got photos of Felli and the camel?

It makes sense to have one specific thread, as you can then look over it and see how the player has developed and what stories they have been involved in. It grind my gears when there is multiple threads about one player, especially if its a transfer rumour imagine how many Robbie Savage threads they'd have been. The site would be littered if we opened a thread every time we watched a movie to talk about it. Plus it makes it easier to track in the future as as most threads digress a little. It keeps the forum neat and tidy which has a better appeal to new traffic. I occasionaly voyeur onto other Everton forums when it's quiet here, but give up as they're too messy.

You are clearly brainwashed by some redshite alien force, or possibly Romey. rofl.gif

Why don't we have one thread for the whole universe, as everything can be categorised if we try hard enough.

Try searching for a thread on here regarding a specific player. You can't, because posts over a certain age vanish into the abyss, and although Mike will tell us how to find them, it's too much for the average earthing to navigate, when all he wants to do is share a quick post.

I've been involved with forums at both ends since around 2002, so I'm not totally inexperienced on the subject. Being tidy is all well and good, but the tidiest forum of all, is an empty one, and that is what will happen if we over moderate.

You are clearly brainwashed by some redshite alien force, or possibly Romey. rofl.gif

Why don't we have one thread for the whole universe, as everything can be categorised if we try hard enough.

Try searching for a thread on here regarding a specific player. You can't, because posts over a certain age vanish into the abyss, and although Mike will tell us how to find them, it's too much for the average earthing to navigate, when all he wants to do is share a quick post.

I've been involved with forums at both ends since around 2002, so I'm not totally inexperienced on the subject. Being tidy is all well and good, but the tidiest forum of all, is an empty one, and that is what will happen if we over moderate.

Consilience is one of my favourite words for a reason. As for newbies its only a gentle push in the right direction and the older users should know where the search box is tongue.png .

Consilience is one of my favourite words for a reason. As for newbies its only a gentle push in the right direction and the older users should know where the search box is tongue.png .

You're just taking advantage of the fact that not only do I not know what consilience means, but nor do I understand it's dictionary interpretation. shaking%20fist.png

Consilience

In science and history, consilience refers to the principle that evidence from independent, unrelated sources can "converge" to strong conclusions.

You're just taking advantage of the fact that not only do I not know what consilience means, but nor do I understand it's dictionary interpretation. shaking%20fist.png

To give an example Physics is now considered a branch of Chemistry as it has been interlinked. To take it to the extreme in the future when we will (hopefully) know more about the world eventually there will be no different topics, just branches of the same thing. Everything will be interlinked.

Does that mean I can have beer, sex and curry at the same timehuh.png ?

If so I'm all for itbiggrin.png .

I think you are slacking id that is the limit of your ambitions. You could run an extension lead to the toilet and watch footy on the telly Have your laptop up there eat your curry, have a beer, Sex too if your missus is nimble. But more importantly also enjoy a good bowel movement... ALL at the same time. Get a grip you lazy git. rofl.gif

You know something That gives me an idea. See you in a little while....... laugh.png

Edited by Rubecula

Another OCD bug bear of mine is when people quote a massive post just to post a line under-neath. If you're going to quote someone at least make the place tidy and keep the quotation to a reasonable limit, you don't have to quote the whole thing.

MikeO did it above so I'll be having strong words with him when he comes online. shaking fist.png

This is nothing, you should check out a James Bond fansite I use, we have about 20 closed threads a day. I like it when someone (usually new participants) start a topic they were unaware already existed, and someone comes rushing along in a fucking panic with their padlocks and keys, for even the slightest resemblance, to something already in existence.

I.e. 'Today there was an incident at the Eiffel Tower in Paris'

#1 'Did you hear about an incident in France today'

#2 'There was an incident at the Eiffel Tower'

#3 'I heard in Paris today, there was an incident'

#4 'At the Eiffel Tower today, there was an incident'

#5 'I though there was an incident at the Eiffel Tower today, but then realized I was in Blackpool, so everything is fine, but I thought we could discuss it'

what we had the other day was merely a similar issue, but you can't blame authority figures for shutting threads that really don't need to be opened, or already in existence. Sometimes it can work, but more often than not, simply not necessary.

• 2 months later...

Wasn't going to start a new thread just for one question so I'll just sneak into Avin's. Is there any way to find old threads that you've started? If I go into my profile I can only see one page and can't get any further, I'm not going to dig them up I'm just confused as to why I can't see my old stuff from last year..

Wasn't going to start a new thread just for one question so I'll just sneak into Avin's. Is there any way to find old threads that you've started? If I go into my profile I can only see one page and can't get any further, I'm not going to dig them up I'm just confused as to why I can't see my old stuff from last year..

Get out of my thread shaking%20fist.png

just use the advanced search mate, the little cog in the top right. You can put the author there

Specifically....

Go into advanced search, leave the "find words" empty, in "Match" select "only search in titles," put yourself in "find author," display results "as a topic list" and select anything else you want like date range or area of the forum.

wacko.png Or secret code written in Zloig.

Specifically....

Go into advanced search, leave the "find words" empty, in "Match" select "only search in titles," put yourself in "find author," display results "as a topic list" and select anything else you want like date range or area of the forum.

Thanks Mike, just fancied ruffling through some old stuff,