Sign in to follow this  
Madmatt

Andy van der Meyde

me to, i was very excited when he signed. So let down over the years he was here, and i always put it down to his child being so ill. If my boys were ill i know how it would affect me, but no excuses for what he was getting upto!

That said, Paul Merson must have had a whole Zoo to himself, although in the end, went and got help with his addiction, but still sad to see a player of such caliber at the time go astray like that.

Ok, Van Der Meyde may have had problems off the field when employed by the club, but he was hardly the first ever to be in such a position. Just a waste of potential, as didn't we acquire him after Euro 2004 or was it a year or two later. Some said at the time he could be as good a player as other Dutch nationals such as Van Persie now, or even Van Nistelrooy, but unfortunately the less glamorous side of soccer took a hold and the rest is history. Sort of like a modern day Greaves or Best in a sense.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets involved in drink and drugs to heavily. He made poor decisions but it is his and his families problem and they will have to deal with it.

A waste of talent yes, but more important is the damaged caused to the man himself, as well as his wife and kids.

I hope he gets through it all in the end.