IGNORED

Steven Naismith debate

Avinalaff

Regarding Naismith, I think it's important to look for positives rather than negatives.

We 'need' a squad of players, and we're not in a position to have superstars in every seat in the stands, whilst taking a big slice of the wages.

It's important to have guys like Naismith.

He works hard, has great attitude, and is still only 26 years old. He cost us absolutely nothing to sign, and he must be doing something right, or Moyes wouldn't favour him. It's important to realise that when you come on as a late sub, you do so under instruction, and those instructions are there in order for the game to change in the way the manager hopes it will.

It's very possible that Naismiths natural game has to take a back seat to suit Moyes, and given that he is naturally a striker, he is often asked to do a very different job for the team. It's not easy to create impact at a late stage, but him coming on allows Moyes to release other players etc.

He has had a few good games this year, and his movement is actually very good, even if he has missed opportunities. His crosses have been poor, but he gets in good positions for goal, and a little luck can change things quickly.

Moyes is no mug, and he must have seen something in the guy, so we need to be a little more patient with him, and of course with Moyes' decisions. We're still with a shout if we can start scoring, and we need all the bodies we can get.

No doubt folk will moan about Barkley etc, but this is about Naismith, not anybody else.

I don't really see anything good to be honest. He's had one or two ok performances - but I've many concerns over what he has in his locker.

Athleticism:- poor, very poor. Has the turning circle of the QE2 and the pace of a rowing boat. Often appears off balance. Average strength.

Technical:- poor, has a bad first touch and often had no idea as to what he's going to do with the ball. His passing in particular is bad.

Attitude:- looks a good lad, team player, and the things he does off the pitch are top notch.

all in all I think he's out of his depth, I feel these injuries (two cruciates) have left him a shell of a player who is picking up his retirement package.

I would have to agree with Haf on this one, except for to say I think he does have one good attribute on the field and that is he seems to have a knack of popping up in the right pace at the right time in the penalty box and looks like he could always nick a goal

He seems to be very low on confidence at the moment so maybe he just need a few games playing behind Jelavic

I'm really disappointed with what he's shown so far. I was convinced that after a bit of time he'd prove to be a good signing for us, but it's not looking like going that way :(.

Maybe playing on the wing isn't right for him (I really hope Moyes can see he how bad he's looking out wide and at least tries him behind Jelavic) but that's no excuse for his poor passing, poor positioning, complete lack of strength, poor ball control, only being able to play backward passes.

I hope he does settle down and prove to be a good signing for us but I'm not full of confidence about that any more.

There's no doubt his overall game is way off premier league level for many of the above reasons. What i don't get is that him and Jelavic had a partnership at Rangers, so why does Moyes insist on breaking it. Jelavic was excelling the virtues of Naismith when he first came, they have never really had a go together in the middle, we should try it.

He just seems to be chasing the entire time. He can be well placed to begin with, a quick flick of the ball from the opposition and off he goes again, chasing the ball and the opposition. Ive watched him quite closely a few games now and he is just chasing all the time, in circles. Always one step behind. I dont think its his football ability thats wrong, I think its the pace of the game. The prem is to quick for him. He is out of his depth.

He needs:

1) pace and a quicker mind, can it happen? Yes if we give him another season. Will it happen this season? No, so dont play him DM

2) a brain, linked to a quicker mind but more about his positioning and choice of pass. Will it happen this season? It might if he gets more confident, will it? No because of number one which stands inbetween him and his confidence.

I think he will prove to be useful, next season. We shouldnt give up but he has been thrown in the deep end to quickly.

Mr Average for me - consistantly average - trying his heart out but lacks the special touch of everything -

too small to play against physical sides with height - and too slow to provide a real spark -

all rounder as benchwarmer for me - only play him if someone on the pitch is really having a nightmare game - stop the rot maybe but not clinching the game for us -

we need to find someone better to bring on as impact player to break a deadlock - like the one we were in yesterday

I think Naismith could wind up being a good striker for us, but he is not a wide player in the slightest. most players when they've been here under moyes have had to fill in because other players have nailed down positions. Both Mirallas and Naismith are strikers, and I think Naismith has proved on a few occasions he can be in the right place at the right time to put the ball away. But he needs to play in the right position. I think we'd see him be more comfortable and a bit more consistent either playing alongside, or in behind Jelaivc.

When Kevin is back he will start on the right for us whenever he is available, and that suits me. Naismith definitely lacks a few yards on the premier league boys though, and he will need to up his fitness. He has had two major injuries as well, and like Essien showed before he went to real Madrid, you can be a world class player, and in my opinion, at one point Essien was one of the best midfielders around, but if you're out for too long or the injury is that bad, you may never get that level back again. Real Madrid can afford to carry a player like Essien because they have so much quality, they can play him when they want. We don't have the option, so Moyes will need to strengthen that right hand side at some point.

Naismith is not the answer on the right but neither do I think it's his fault when being played there. He's "doing a job" as the Moyes catchphrase goes, which at the moment isn't having too bad an effect overall. Hopefully, in the cup perhaps, he'll get the chance up front. If he does like i said, I can see him being a 10 goal a season kind of player, someone who doesn't play every game but does have an impact. If however the switch never comes, he's not going to be good enough for us on the right and we should look to make some money out of him rather than keep him when there are other options.

Davey isnt going to give Naismith the role behind Jelly because he has Felli or if he wants to put Super Kev, Ossie, Peanuts or even god forbid Barkley they are all better players by a mile. Out wide he is a passenger at best so theres no point. I get what you mean that he is a player you can use that cost fuck all. Is he gonna improve us? No. Can he help? Course he can

He's a good player, but he's not Everton-good. Great for Rangers. I won't exactly say that he's useless, he's proven to be valuable at times. Personally, if EFC is in for a player of a smaller team, they could perhaps consider offering Naismith in a swap deal, it'd be the best for all parties.

I think Naismith could wind up being a good striker for us, but he is not a wide player in the slightest. most players when they've been here under moyes have had to fill in because other players have nailed down positions. Both Mirallas and Naismith are strikers, and I think Naismith has proved on a few occasions he can be in the right place at the right time to put the ball away. But he needs to play in the right position. I think we'd see him be more comfortable and a bit more consistent either playing alongside, or in behind Jelaivc.

When Kevin is back he will start on the right for us whenever he is available, and that suits me. Naismith definitely lacks a few yards on the premier league boys though, and he will need to up his fitness. He has had two major injuries as well, and like Essien showed before he went to real Madrid, you can be a world class player, and in my opinion, at one point Essien was one of the best midfielders around, but if you're out for too long or the injury is that bad, you may never get that level back again. Real Madrid can afford to carry a player like Essien because they have so much quality, they can play him when they want. We don't have the option, so Moyes will need to strengthen that right hand side at some point.

Naismith is not the answer on the right but neither do I think it's his fault when being played there. He's "doing a job" as the Moyes catchphrase goes, which at the moment isn't having too bad an effect overall. Hopefully, in the cup perhaps, he'll get the chance up front. If he does like i said, I can see him being a 10 goal a season kind of player, someone who doesn't play every game but does have an impact. If however the switch never comes, he's not going to be good enough for us on the right and we should look to make some money out of him rather than keep him when there are other options.

I have to say I think I prefer Mirallas on the wing. I know how prolific he was prior to coming to everton but he's got the potential to be a world class winger. I wouldnt mind him playing up front but like I said I think he belongs on the wing.

As for Naismith I dont mean to be harsh but I think hes a waste of our wage bill. He hasnt done anything to impress me so far and although a few lads above said how he has a nack of being in the right place at the right time thats a good trait but a useless one if you cant finish at the time.

I have to say I think I prefer Mirallas on the wing. I know how prolific he was prior to coming to everton but he's got the potential to be a world class winger. I wouldnt mind him playing up front but like I said I think he belongs on the wing.

He got all them goals in Greece from the left wing. He looks an even better player there than on the right for us, greedy, but tore Liverpool a new hole before getting injured/injuring himself.

I just don't rate him, based on what I've seen so far. Very time I've watched him, he's done nothing to suggest he's a top player.

I didn't see him at Rangers, so I can't comment on him during that time but since hea been with Everton, I don't feel he's got enough in his locker to warrant the game time he's getting.

He seems a really nice bloke but isn't doing it for me.

scored the equaliser against the shite..done enough to warrant the rest of the season to get fit for me

he's had some bad injuries and has come to a much faster, stronger, better league..and he isn't going to settle in playing 20 minutes a week and the odd 60 here or there...needs a run in the team but we have better options so i doubt that will happen barring a couple more injuries...i'd like to see him in the centre..that hat trick he scored in pre season was lovely and showed he has a good touch

Maybe if Moyes played Naismith in a position where he was in a partnership with Jelavic then there might be. Until that time there won't be.

very true, but its not going to happen so we wont see Naismith having time to rediscover the form. That was the only reason I was excited about taking him on...

Maybe Naismith and Jelavic were more proficient in the SPL together, but look at the caliber of opposition for the most part, and opposition defenses, compared to more robust english premier league, where oppostion sides aren't quite such a pushover, as north of the border.

I wasn't as excited, if that is the operative word, when Naismith came on board, as when Jelavic arrived. And didn't even know much about the player. Maybe he hasn't delivered as some would have expected or lived up to expectation, but he's only been at GP since last summer, so I'm prepared to give the kid more time to see what he can produce.

One thing i have noticed looking back at many of our highlights.

He seems to be involeved in a lot of goals. A tackle here, a deflected shot, in the build up or chasing back. I get anoyed by him and get my head down every time i see his name on the teamsheet. but i have to question myself as most of our better performances this season have involved him? i think if he had a bit more pace it would improve him by 50% as a player.

Regarding Naismith, I think it's important to look for positives rather than negatives.

We 'need' a squad of players, and we're not in a position to have superstars in every seat in the stands, whilst taking a big slice of the wages.

It's important to have guys like Naismith.

He works hard, has great attitude, and is still only 26 years old. He cost us absolutely nothing to sign, and he must be doing something right, or Moyes wouldn't favour him. It's important to realise that when you come on as a late sub, you do so under instruction, and those instructions are there in order for the game to change in the way the manager hopes it will.

It's very possible that Naismiths natural game has to take a back seat to suit Moyes, and given that he is naturally a striker, he is often asked to do a very different job for the team. It's not easy to create impact at a late stage, but him coming on allows Moyes to release other players etc.

He has had a few good games this year, and his movement is actually very good, even if he has missed opportunities. His crosses have been poor, but he gets in good positions for goal, and a little luck can change things quickly.

Moyes is no mug, and he must have seen something in the guy, so we need to be a little more patient with him, and of course with Moyes' decisions. We're still with a shout if we can start scoring, and we need all the bodies we can get.

No doubt folk will moan about Barkley etc, but this is about Naismith, not anybody else.

Avin, seldom do I see eye to eye with your comments. But I take my hat off to you here (pissing in pocket...), you've got it absolutely right.

Great squad player, cost f-all, great worker and can score. He would score more given the opportunity to play in a more effective role than covering when Ossie or Felli are having an off day.

I don't like giving new boys a hard time as every player takes different times to settle but naismith just doesn't look good enough. He's being played out of position fair enough but that's not an excuse for having the touch of a drunken baboon or the passing ability of a blind person on acid.

He runs around a lot like a headless chicken but can't even seem to make basic interceptions and if he does get lucky winning the ball his inability to even lay it off 5yards to a team mate is worrying. Seriously even watching hungover lads in the park on a sunday they can pass a ball.

For some strange reason though I have a feeling playing him behind Jelavic he may just nicka few goals as he does get in to good positions. It's when he has to think about what to do next that his brain seems to just go,'meh'.

For some strange reason though I have a feeling playing him behind Jelavic he may just nicka few goals as he does get in to good positions. It's when he has to think about what to do next that his brain seems to just go,'meh'.

I'd agree with you on that point, his decision making is awful.

His composure on the ball is absolutely shocking, it's like a hot potatoe. We may as well have kept Straq if all we are getting in positives is work rate - cos that lad was phenomenal.

Its a real pity that he's not great because he is a bloke who you genuinely feel totally appreciates the position that he is in - he gives alot back and he's a clubman - he is a team player. The sad reality is that it's a results business, and I find it very hard to see a premier league player there, His injuries would have slowed down the quickest of players but for me his lack of mobility and sharpness is a major worry, he turns in a way that he's expecting his knee to go again.