IGNORED

Steven Naismith debate

Avinalaff

I am like everyone else with saying I don't think is good enough, watching him play his touches are awful. He doesn't run for the ball as much as other players, gives the ball away. OK he can defend which is good and does track back but going forward he doesn't look comfortable at all. If we played him where Jela is I do think he would get them in though. At the moment when he does get a chance he is snatching at them and is not playing like he did at Rangers. He isn't a great player but he is a hard worker and I do believe given time he will start to perform.

Another great win tonite with other results in our favour! Thought that was the best team we could put out and finally glad to see that Moyes has realised Naismith just isn't good enough for the Premiership. It will be Steven Nogames from now on with any luck! Hopefully when he goes back up to Scotland to get married In March he won't come back! Waste of 30k a week in my eyes.

Lets not forget he is one of us and i dont think he has been given a fair chance in his proper position. Saying that i think he knows he isnt up to the level that he finds himself in but lets hope a championship team come in for him. I think thats his level ala Chris Burke who was at Rangers

Another great win tonite with other results in our favour! Thought that was the best team we could put out and finally glad to see that Moyes has realised Naismith just isn't good enough for the Premiership. It will be Steven Nogames from now on with any luck! Hopefully when he goes back up to Scotland to get married In March he won't come back! Waste of 30k a week in my eyes.

I think the days of running off to Gretna Green are a thing of the past now.

Probably a harsh first post if I'm honest. dont know.gif

We just don't have the cash to be paying 30k a week for guys to sit on the bench, 60k in a fortnite and a player hasn't even come on as a sub?? Take the Fer situation for example, we pulled out of that because the guy aparently showed a knee problem, ok we got Naismith on a Free but 30k a week to someone who has done both knees and was on rehabilitation when he arrived! I just don't understand it. Lets hope we can pick up someone before deadline day ends.

• 5 months later...

This has been floating round for a few days now, not really sure what to think. If we are struggling for funds and the player is hardly a first name and is known for getting a fair bit of stick from the fans. Maybe Martinez rejected bids because they just were not enough(whats enough for Naismith?) but this could get a bit tasty if Martinez is not careful, he could quite easily get himself off on the wrong foot here.

Kenwright said at the press conference one of the things that impressed him about Martinez was that he already appeared to have a good knowledge of the club and players we have. Now of course the manager is going to want to get a few weeks on the training ground with the players, but i wasn't aware we were in any position to turn down bids for any of our players, if we are then we must have money yet continue to look in the cheap basket(and i include under Moyes as well)

Im just concerned about the new season, i doubt we will go down, but i have to say im very worried about us next season, very worried. Top 6 is a pipe dream imo.

Edited by Simon

Kenwright said at the press conference one of the things that impressed him about Martinez was that he already appeared to have a good knowledge of the club and players we have. Now of course the manager is going to want to get a few weeks on the training ground with the players, but i wasn't aware we were in any position to turn down bids for any of our players, if we are then we must have money yet continue to look in the cheap basket(and i include under Moyes as well)

Im just concerned about the new season, i doubt we will go down, but i have to say im very worried about us next season, very worried. Top 6 is a pipe dream imo.

pretty sure BK also said we wont have to sell to buy and theres nothing wrong with looking in the bargain bin

bit early to be writing off the season Si :)

pretty sure BK also said we wont have to sell to buy and theres nothing wrong with looking in the bargain bin

bit early to be writing off the season Si :)

I know, im just not confident all round for some reason mate, i think maybe that shareholders meeting had something to do with it, i just don't see where we are going at the moment. I have warmed up to the idea of Martinez a bit more since he has come in but regardless of what ideas he has or how good he chats to the camera, he did get his last team relegated. The pre-season fixtures will start soon and we will know more then i guess.

Why do you fear we will struggle? I think 6th-4th is a possibility. In reality 6th-8th.

Why do you fear we will struggle? I think 6th-4th is a possibility. In reality 6th-8th.

Im just worried we are getting slightly left behind, we are going to have a transitional season when now/this season imo is really not the season to have it especially the way some of these other teams are buying it's crazy. Im also very worried about the size of the squad, i really hope Roberto makes use of some of the youngsters a bit more. Last but not least, as you can well imagine Haf, im fed up of Kenwright and his cronies, reading the comments and reports from that shareholders meet was driving me mad, how much longer do we have to put up with these cowboys, it's not the Rovers Return AFC, it's Everton Football Club ffs.

Oh, 6th-8th is hopefully where we will end up providing no injury crisis.

Edited by Simon

Im just worried we are getting slightly left behind, we are going to have a transitional season when now/this season imo is really not the season to have it especially the way some of these other teams are buying it's crazy. Im also very worried about the size of the squad, i really hope Roberto makes use of some of the youngsters a bit more. Last but not least, as you can well imagine Haf, im fed up of Kenwright and his cronies, reading the comments and reports from that shareholders meet was driving me mad, how much longer do we have to put up with these cowboys, it's not the Rovers Return AFC, it's Everton Football Club ffs.

Oh, 6th-8th is hopefully where we will end up providing no injury crisis.

From the kenwright and his fellow shower of bullshitters perspective I'm with you, amateur is a polite way of putting it. I've no time at all for any of those cronies and that includes Robert "absolutely" Elstone too. Their 5 year plan is "how do we survive another 5 years of this"

From Martinez perspective I'm beyond optimistic, I really think we've got ourselves a proper revolutionary Manager. He will bring a style and class to our team that we've been missing for some time. Under Moyes we seen snippets of what some of our players can produce when they are on their game and up to dismantle teams. Unfortunately it wasn't seen enough IMO, and I think moyes safety first approach was the cause of this.

To have a manager who wants his players to go "without fear" is going to be music to the likes of Barkley, Osman, jelavic, Coleman. I think we are going to be in for some initial teething problems in the transition but I think we will see us pulverise some teams with 70% possession, goals, shots on target. Exciting times I think.

Martinez is surely going to want to meet Naismith and see the guy in training and in a couple of pre-season games up front in HIS system before he makes a decision on whether he sees a future for him at Goodison or not? Especially as Kone won't join up until later in the month so it's a chance maybe to play him up front and see how he gets on.

I doubt it's going to work out for Naismith with us, despite his undoubted workrate and enthusiasm, and he seems like a really decent guy too, but if RM decides this month that he wants to cash in on him then I feel sure there will still be clubs interested in him.

Regarding Naismith, I think it's important to look for positives rather than negatives.

We 'need' a squad of players, and we're not in a position to have superstars in every seat in the stands, whilst taking a big slice of the wages.

It's important to have guys like Naismith.

He works hard, has great attitude, and is still only 26 years old. He cost us absolutely nothing to sign, and he must be doing something right, or Moyes wouldn't favour him. It's important to realise that when you come on as a late sub, you do so under instruction, and those instructions are there in order for the game to change in the way the manager hopes it will.

It's very possible that Naismiths natural game has to take a back seat to suit Moyes, and given that he is naturally a striker, he is often asked to do a very different job for the team. It's not easy to create impact at a late stage, but him coming on allows Moyes to release other players etc.

He has had a few good games this year, and his movement is actually very good, even if he has missed opportunities. His crosses have been poor, but he gets in good positions for goal, and a little luck can change things quickly.

Moyes is no mug, and he must have seen something in the guy, so we need to be a little more patient with him, and of course with Moyes' decisions. We're still with a shout if we can start scoring, and we need all the bodies we can get.

No doubt folk will moan about Barkley etc, but this is about Naismith, not anybody else.

What positives?

Well maybe that was drastic, but its the Straq situation all over again. Just becaue a player works their arse off dosnt mean that they're anywhere near good enough for a starting spot. Fair play to him though, I like the guy as a person, but personally I dont think he would be anything to write home about even in the Championship.

Although I do understand Moyes did play him out of position. But lets face it, did moyes ever buy a bloody player and play him where he's used to? Bily, Coleman, Naismith, Lescott - Im not even sure Mirallas even played on the wing before he came to Everton (not that im complaining about that one!)

What positives?

Well maybe that was drastic, but its the Straq situation all over again. Just becaue a player works their arse off dosnt mean that they're anywhere near good enough for a starting spot. Fair play to him though, I like the guy as a person, but personally I dont think he would be anything to write home about even in the Championship.

Although I do understand Moyes did play him out of position. But lets face it, did moyes ever buy a bloody player and play him where he's used to? Bily, Coleman, Naismith, Lescott - Im not even sure Mirallas even played on the wing before he came to Everton (not that im complaining about that one!)

Asking isn't the same as looking, and you've 6 months since my post to look ha ha.

• 3 weeks later...