IGNORED

Steven Naismith debate

Avinalaff

He showed some form at the start of the 2nd half but still faded as it went on. He certainly hasnt been a standout!

He played well for like 5 minutes at the beginning of the second half, with a great through ball among others. Then he didn't touch the ball again for the rest of the game.

Maybe it's Just me then but I though through The half he had a few decent shots, made a few great runs and got into some really good position s but was let down by the pass.

The previous friendlys he's looked dangerous too.

I think he looks a different player but suffers from being a player that we don't want so we overlook anything he does good.

He has done well so far. He's not a first 11 player, but it isn't about that, but the squad. We can't afford the wages to have 25 world class players in the team, never mind the transfer fees, and having good back up players that will wait their turn is very important.

I think everyone realises we need a squad. It's just that some think Naismith isn't good enough to be a squad player either. He definitely isn't on the wing and we already have a fair bit of better cover for the position behind the striker (Osman, Barkley, possibly one of the good wide players).

Him coming over on a free transfer doesn't exempt him from criticism either. He's still picking up a decent wage and as a Bosman he'll have gotten a hefty signing fee as well (I've read that 12 months wages is common for "free" signings).

I just dont see what he adds. In the half we saw from Gueye he showed more than Naismith IMO.

think thats a bit harsh on him to be fair, he has been miles above Maggy this pre-season. Maggy got caught in possesion so many times and didnt create much. Naisy had three efforts, or more on goal, but in some good balls and got into some great positions. i know hes not most people cup of tea, even mine but credit where credits due he looks to be trying his best to prove himself.

But i do agree he is nowhere near a first teamer. though if he kept up this level of effort he would be a good squad player.

think thats a bit harsh on him to be fair, he has been miles above Maggy this pre-season. Maggy got caught in possesion so many times and didnt create much. Naisy had three efforts, or more on goal, but in some good balls and got into some great positions. i know hes not most people cup of tea, even mine but credit where credits due he looks to be trying his best to prove himself.

But i do agree he is nowhere near a first teamer. though if he kept up this level of effort he would be a good squad player.

I don't think he has tbh. I didn't see the Austria game so cant comment on that one but Maggie was better than Naismith in the AS game, albeit not by much. Both had good moments and both were really poor at times and if anything I think Gueye is better at linking up the play.

Yeh no doubt he is putting the effort in but I just don't see it from him. I would rather have a half decent youngster come off the bench in the hope that he will improve for the experience rather than Naismith who is only half decent and is unlikely to improve at all.

It's only because we got him on a free that more fans are not going apeshit about the whole Naismith situation imo, he's really nowhere near the level of a top 6 team(neither is Vic tbh) which is what we are supposed to be is it not?

Put it this way, if he is getting shown up by Gueye then he is defo not good enough :)

Edited by Simon

It's only because we got him on a free that more fans are not going apeshit about the whole Naismith situation imo, he's really nowhere near the level of a top 6 team(neither is Vic tbh) which is what we are supposed to be is it not?

Put it this way, if he is getting shown up by Gueye then he is defo not good enough :)

If Victor improves this season as steadily as he has in recent ones, there will be plenty of 'top 6' teams where defenders don't fancy 90 minutes against him.If he gets games he will get goals and certainly make some.

Naismith came with Jelavic, we needed bodies, it was worth the risk, not really sure it was the right move.

Ok i see no-one agrees with me lol.

But i would say using maggy is a bit misleading, as he has shown this pre-season that its time to move on. he cant keep hold of the ball and really adds nothing. It may be i have been watching other areas too much but has Maggy even created a chance at all? in fact has he had nay meaningful moments at all?

Like i say i am not a Naismith fan but people saying he dissapeared after the first five mins forget that it was his deflected effort that Jelly scored from the resulting corner. that was his third effort on goal too. he also put in a few good balls.

I just think that people are way too harsh on him.

But its all just opinion and i may be looking a bit too hard and willing him to get better!

Guest Nikica

Haven't posted on here in over a year - hope nobody minds me making a few opinion posts now.

Naismith is a decent squad player for you but that's all he should ever be. A guy who can come on in games where his particular (but limited) talents may be useful.

I'm a Rangers fan. I might have said on here before that I didn't rate him - in fact I was shocked that you ever pursued him. My brother and most of my mates were big fans of him but I never liked him much as a player. He was one of our better players and had a brief purple patch in the SPL, but, unlike Jelavic, he was never going to be good enough for your first team. Even up here the gulf in quality between Nikica and Steven was considerable.

Naisy has a good shot in him, but his technical ability isn't great and his first touch (as you will have noticed) is very poor. He's a reasonably intelligent footballer but he certaainly hasn't shown that at Everton. He's also not the greatest passer in the world and his style is not conducive to the free-flowing expansive football Martinez will want to play.

Seeing as I mentioned Jelavic, by the way, I know he had a difficult season last term but I'm expecting better under Martinez. He suffered from second season syndrome but I reckon Martinez is someone who will get the best out of him, providing he starts enough games.

Edited by Nikica

Haven't posted on here in over a year - hope nobody minds me making a few opinion posts now.

Naismith is a decent squad player for you but that's all he should ever be. A guy who can come on in games where his particular (but limited) talents may be useful.

I'm a Rangers fan. I might have said on here before that I didn't rate him - in fact I was shocked that you ever pursued him. My brother and most of my mates were big fans of him but I never liked him much as a player. He was one of our better players and had a brief purple patch in the SPL, but, unlike Jelavic, he was never going to be good enough for your first team. Even up here the gulf in quality between Nikica and Steven was considerable.

Naisy has a good shot in him, but his technical ability isn't great and his first touch (as you will have noticed) is very poor. He's a reasonably intelligent footballer but he certaainly hasn't shown that at Everton. He's also not the greatest passer in the world and his style is not conducive to the free-flowing expansive football Martinez will want to play.

Seeing as I mentioned Jelavic, by the way, I know he had a difficult season last term but I'm expecting better under Martinez. He suffered from second season syndrome but I reckon Martinez is someone who will get the best out of him, providing he starts enough games.

He's not really been given a fair crack yet, but he's getting better. I always thought his movement was good. So far in Pre-season, he's looked a bit sharper. His turn tonight in the Madrid game was amongst the best I've seen. We don't really have the cash to have the best players on and off the pitch, so steady players like Naisy can be great back up. The only thing I was a little concerned about was his inability to hide his frustration tonight on the odd occasion.

Guest Nikica

He's not really been given a fair crack yet, but he's getting better. I always thought his movement was good. So far in Pre-season, he's looked a bit sharper. His turn tonight in the Madrid game was amongst the best I've seen. We don't really have the cash to have the best players on and off the pitch, so steady players like Naisy can be great back up. The only thing I was a little concerned about was his inability to hide his frustration tonight on the odd occasion.

His movement is quite good, that's part of what I was referring to by calling him a fairly intelligent player. It's his actual ability that's more of a problem.

I didn't see the game, but he is capable of the odd breathtaking moment - it's just very out of character for him as a player. Yeah, I realise that you can only afford a certain level of player but I still felt there were better options than him. As I originally said *and you reinforced), he's a good squad player for certain situations. He has a place but he should be regarded as one of your more peripheral attacking players.

He's always been bit of a prick with an attitude problem on the pitch so don't expect that to get better. Nothing wrong with frustration but he lashes oot.

Pretty clear that last season was a big adjustment for him. Even he admitted that he struggled to adapt and wasn't playing his best. I don't really know if there's too much to complain about with him. We're a team with very real money restrictions so we have to make due with what is available to us. A guy like Naismith is nice to have because he costs us little and can cover in multiple positions. The only way he is a "problem" is if Martinez puts him in a larger role than he is capable of.

Pretty clear that last season was a big adjustment for him. Even he admitted that he struggled to adapt and wasn't playing his best. I don't really know if there's too much to complain about with him. We're a team with very real money restrictions so we have to make due with what is available to us. A guy like Naismith is nice to have because he costs us little and can cover in multiple positions. The only way he is a "problem" is if Martinez puts him in a larger role than he is capable of.

Can he really cover in multiple positions? If you have the say "Well, you know, he isn't really a winger, so..." after every game he plays on the wing, can you really say that he can cover on the wing?

Been trying to say this all pre-season.

I know he hasnt been the best from the start but i do think that he could be effective for us. Not a first team player but not a bad squad player to have either.

and the guy seems to be able to shoot, has a half decent touch when hes confident and his best attribute seems to be getting into the right position.

He had a shout at Mirralas for that pass that never got to him against Madrid, and so he should...that was a simple easy pass that was completely messed up, one that would have put Naismith one on one with the keeper. Dont forget these are proffesionals at the top end of the sport. What i liked was that he had his say and then got on with the game, something a lot of players find it hard to do.

Lets give him a go this season. Come of the bench when we need that something different against the more physical teams when we need energy and guile more than technical ability.

• 1 month later...