IGNORED

David Moyes - sign or go ?

Avinalaff

1. 1. How do you feel about Moyes delaying signing a new contract?

• Happy
    • Unhappy
    • Neutral

I'm a bit annoyed with the current uncertainty of our club, both on and off the pitch.

I am 100% a Moyes man, but I can't help but get agitated by his contract situation. I'm of the opinion that it is having a detrimental effect to our team, and combined with the Fellaini saga has caused a negative distraction, not to mention the feelings of the fans.

Last time he didn't sign, we played poorly, but once he commited, spirits improved and we became decent again.

With our team in such a good position, it makes little sense to have this saga continuing. Everybody except a small minority want him to sign a new contract, but if he is going to leave, then leave now, and give another the opportunity to take us forward while we are in good shape.

Kenwright won't sell Fellaini in January, unless Moyes agrees, as the fans would turn against him, so sign the contract and let's get on with the show.

We can understand it if his reluctance is to ensure he keeps his players, but if it is to ensure a prospective club get him on the cheap without compensating Everton F.C then that is not on.

Make your mind up Davey. shaking%20fist.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jas0vAzFP20

He's an extremely wealthy man based on being given one of the best jobs in the league. No where else will he get the comfort of top 4 wages on mid table expectations with the comfort of minimal cash risk/responsibility in the transfer market.

If he stays then he can damn well sign, he's already used his "show me the transfer money or I won't sign excuse" - it will not be down to that as he has backed his chairman.

problem is that there ain't many managers out there we could get - if we could get Hiddink I would pack moyes bags for him and wave him off, otherwise - lets wait and see.

I dont think stubbsy will have made those comments without knowing that moyes will be ok with them - unless the boyhood blue fan is coming to the surface and he is stating what every fan wishes for - the money to back the manager.

Has moyes got to the stage where he has banked all the money he needs and he can afford to go for a high risk job and he is asking for our so called board to cough up some of the money they are sitting on... we are IMO 3-4 signings away from a top 4 team, I think most people can see that.

unless we are happy being a top 8 side he should only sign if he gets money to improve / enlarge his squad to take the club to the next level -

if no money is forthcoming maybe it is time for a new more adventurous manager to see whether he can take us further with what we have -

otherwise we must just make peace with Moyes and Neville and Notrophies

If someone new comes in, I'd be hardly surprised if we struggled for a bit, Moyes has an ability to get that extra 25% from our players and I just don't think the players would react well to a new manager.

Don't get me wrong, if we (or the board) could truely back a manager, I think we'd be fine but based on their inability to do so, we'd lose a lot of our current first teamers and probably have nothing to replace them with.

I have a horrible feeling that we'd have to rely on youth and end up in a similar fashion to Villa. It'll probably be more beneficial to them (younger players) but would ultimately stop us competing at the level we are currently at.

Some may argue differently but untill Moyes or whoever should take over should DM leaves, gets some proper financial backing, I think we'll struggle to hold on to our best players.

As Mark said, if he's going to sign it, sign it. He's always know the situation, nothing has changed. Stay with what you've got or piss off and let whatever comes up, happen.

It may be possible to sell Fellaini for a very high price, and keep him until the summer, thus giving the club funds in which to strengthen the squad in order to achieve qualification. Then when it comes to giving him away, just don't pick up the phone, or tell his mum to say he's not in.

Ah, the perennial debate hots up. I've been saying for years that we won't win a thing with Moyes, which was okay when expectations were rock bottom, and the warm blanket of mid-table security seemed quite comforting. However, with a decent to good squad at our disposal, one naturally looks up. It is unfortunate then that the very qualities that brought us the mid-table security don't translate to the higher echelons of the PL. The guys up there sleep in silk pyjamas. Moyes is a good, well-respected PL manager. What he isn't is a higher echelon manager. He is far too conservative, far too defence minded, far too predictable, and far too lacking in tactical nous (see European jaunts and the important cup games for details). I hope he doesn't sign and moves on. Will always be grateful to him, mainly for the manner he has conducted himself, and for what he has done for the club, but really, can we not have an attack minded manager, please? One who doesn't stifle our forward looking players (pun intended).

Ah, the perennial debate hots up. I've been saying for years that we won't win a thing with Moyes, which was okay when expectations were rock bottom, and the warm blanket of mid-table security seemed quite comforting. However, with a decent to good squad at our disposal, one naturally looks up. It is unfortunate then that the very qualities that brought us the mid-table security don't translate to the higher echelons of the PL. The guys up there sleep in silk pyjamas. Moyes is a good, well-respected PL manager. What he isn't is a higher echelon manager. He is far too conservative, far too defence minded, far too predictable, and far too lacking in tactical nous (see European jaunts and the important cup games for details). I hope he doesn't sign and moves on. Will always be grateful to him, mainly for the manner he has conducted himself, and for what he has done for the club, but really, can we not have an attack minded manager, please? One who doesn't stifle our forward looking players (pun intended).

I don't think Moyes is a negative manager. Look how our side plays when Jelavic is in form, and Pienaar, Mirallas, Osman, Gibson are all fit. We are a very threatening side on the attack that can play very positive football. To call him defensive minded is a bit unfair I think because I think for many years with a lack of a solid striker, and creative wingers in the side, we just made due and played compactly and grinded out results.

When have we been a 'mid table' side? huh.png

The only teams to finish above us 'regularly' are the big money sides. Everton are better than every other team, some of which have a few quid. When we are all fit, and have a midfielder in the team, we have regularly been compared to Barcelona, and play some of the best football in the league, so it's not as if Moyes doesn't know how to play football. However, opinions are just that, so I won't tell you that you are wrong, even if I think it's a little narrow minded regarding the bigger picture.

When have we been a 'mid table' side? huh.png

The only teams to finish above us 'regularly' are the big money sides. Everton are better than every other team, some of which have a few quid. When we are all fit, and have a midfielder in the team, we have regularly been compared to Barcelona, and play some of the best football in the league, so it's not as if Moyes doesn't know how to play football. However, opinions are just that, so I won't tell you that you are wrong, even if I think it's a little narrow minded regarding the bigger picture.

I'll second that.

I divided the 20 team league into 3 tiers: top, middle, bottom. Strictly speaking, that's 1 to 6.66, 6.67 to 13.33, and 13.34 to 20.

Our last three league positions were 8th, 7th, 7th. That keeps us out of the important top 6 and in mid-table (imo), though obviously at the top end of that.

Statistically, you could round 6.67 to 7, but I prefer to be pragmatic and realistic. We are not a top 6 club; we are a decent mid-table team, no more, no less.

To me, Moyes is the embodiment of a conservative manager - always sitting on leads, inviting teams on, espousing defensive virtue and responsibility over attacking flair. This season, as I said, he has a decent squad, and still resorts to the above.

I loathe Man Utd and loathe SAF more, but would love to see what he would do with our squad. Elite managers get more from their players. He would also up the bloody tempo.

As I said, Moyes is a decent man and a good PL manager, but he's more Moses than Joshua, and will never lead us to the other PL.

Edited by formby

Excellent posts Formby. I think Moyes does a great job of being "sensible" - but sensible doesn't win you trophies or get ou top 4 each year. Sensible can make you avoid losing games that you shouldn't, it can help you earn the odd point when you are playing badly but it doesn't help get you 3,4,5 nil wins.

I hate to say it, but watching Liverpool the other night - they went out and expressed themselves and they will benefit from that win. That was a momentum builder, confidence booster and they will be looking forward to their next game.

Moyes tactics can be summarised by the following... Nevile in midfield, Fellaini up front, Naismith on the right. Horrible, absolutely horrible. Moyes will always be a good manager - I don't think he will be a great manager. He is judged on what he achieves with the money he has had - which fair enough he has built a great squad pound for pound. Unfortunately I don't think he is the right tactician to manage such a squad.

He seems far more comfortable managing your Kevin Kilbanes, Marcus Bents, Tim Cahills, players who will do as they are told and give 100%, as opoposed to your Yaks, Rooneys, Artetas, Drenthes, Saha's - players who have ridiculous natural ability who are match winners, game changers who rely on a moment of inspiration as opposed to an A4 sheet of instructions.

It's not a criticism of him - its the reality. He is not a manager fit for a club that is seeking to win things. I'm not saying we are in a place to win things - but when we have been there, he has bottled it big time. His set up for derby games is a pure indication of this. His set up whenever he gets to wembley is an indication of this.

If he gets a job with trophy expectations he will be found wanting that little bit of ooomph that gets players to go out and attack and try for 2nd and 3rd goals, keep the other team guessing.

The fact that he is surrounded by defensive minded coaches has always been a big concern to me.

Im glad your in the minority,.

That attitude reminds me of the Peter Reid/Man City scenario where he had them in the top 6 but the fickle fans drove him out because they thought they ere better than they actually are and as a result the nosedived straight out of the division

I think Moyes is by far and away the best manager that we could hope for at this point in time , and I also think that a lot of our players are loyal to him. ie lose Moyse lose them

I just dont buty this Moyes is negative/too conservative idea. When we had everyone fit at the start of the season we were probably playing the best attacking football in the country, if not Europe.

Moyse has a ridiculously small squad to chose from and injuries and suspensions were always going to cause us problems ( and get the Moyse bashers crawling out from under their stones at the slightest hint of poor form)

I still think this has been a good season so far and my only gripe is the customary capitulation in the Capital One Cup, Im gutted that he felt the need to throw the towel in by playing the kids at Leeds, especially when you see Bradford City in the final

For me David Moyes has all the atributes to be a top boss,the only unproven quantity is what he would be like with money

I voted unhappy, I personally feel he is being very disrespectful to the club and fans by not signing or giving any indication of his intentions. I want to know the exact reasons he has for delaying when he is one of the best paid managers in the country.

I don't honestly care if he signs or not, Everton have survived managers coming and going for a long time and if a new dawn is around the corner then I shall embrace it. If Moyes doesn't want to be here then sod off if he does then sign the contract.

He knows the money situation so unless he's hoping a rich guy comes knocking before june he has all the facts he needs to make a decision.

Im glad your in the minority,.

That attitude reminds me of the Peter Reid/Man City scenario where he had them in the top 6 but the fickle fans drove him out because they thought they ere better than they actually are and as a result the nosedived straight out of the division

I think Moyes is by far and away the best manager that we could hope for at this point in time , and I also think that a lot of our players are loyal to him. ie lose Moyse lose them

I just dont buty this Moyes is negative/too conservative idea. When we had everyone fit at the start of the season we were probably playing the best attacking football in the country, if not Europe.

Moyse has a ridiculously small squad to chose from and injuries and suspensions were always going to cause us problems ( and get the Moyse bashers crawling out from under their stones at the slightest hint of poor form)

I still think this has been a good season so far and my only gripe is the customary capitulation in the Capital One Cup, Im gutted that he felt the need to throw the towel in by playing the kids at Leeds, especially when you see Bradford City in the final

For me David Moyes has all the atributes to be a top boss,the only unproven quantity is what he would be like with money

We only played Junior and Gueye in the Capital One Cup and both of them were replaced at half time. You could maybe argue Oviedo but he was probably the best player on the pitch! They werent the reason we lost the game, it was the complete lack tactics and effort from the players.

Moyes does a lot of good things but tactically he is poor. Always has been and always will be im afraid.

With the contract sitch, Im not really fussed tbh. He will sign eventually,

Footy managers can be likened to the great explorers, Scott, Amundsen and Shackleton. Lets say the premier league title is the south pole...the 3 leaders had different attributes and mind sets.

Amundsen was win at any cost (he started with a 60 mile headstart) - but he took a caluclated risk to do that, his goal was south pole nothing else - took 10 photos in total - when he made south pole.

Scott went the trusted way, doing time conusming scientific tests taking 2000 photos and ultimately fell on his sword having a good go - he went with "honour". On another day he could have been the one who did it with style and he did it the way he wanted.

Shackleton ensured the safety of his team was a priority - nothing else mattered. He was not going to compromise their safety for the goal of the expedition.

Amundsen = Mourinho, Ferguson, Capello

Scott = Wenger, Guardiola, AVB

Shackleton = Moyes, Hodgson, Allardyce