IGNORED

David Moyes - sign or go ?

Avinalaff

1. 1. How do you feel about Moyes delaying signing a new contract?

• Happy
    • Unhappy
    • Neutral

The scot did himself no favors once again on Monday night, and some of his decisions this season once again, have been questionable to say the least. This seems like a duplicate thread from discussions last year about what Moyes should do with his immediate future. I guess he's happy enough with the salary the club are paying in any event.

I've been aching to answer this thread, but as the man said 'a duplicate thread'. Many of my posts on the subject have said the same thing in essence.....if we don't fix it now, we'll still be talking about this next season. And we were and we still are!

Deja vu all over again!dry.png

the thing is, a lot of attitudes have changed since last years thread. Mine included.

I don't think that there's a better manager for Everton out there. Not one we can afford and not one willing to do the job with limited funds. Not of the same caliber as Moyes.

All suggestions so far in this thread are either:

Not willing to come to Everton (Mourinho, SAF etc)

Not as good as Moyes (Adkins, Alex McLeish, Mick McCarthy, Steve Round and Avram Grant)

I don't think he is going to Sevilla now to negotiate for a new job. Shouldn't that be up to Sevilla to travel to Moyes to offer him a job? More likely discussing a transfer or a loan. I might be wrong and if I am its going to be really difficult to find a new manager of the same high standard.

the thing is, a lot of attitudes have changed since last years thread. Mine included.

I don't think that there's a better manager for Everton out there. Not one we can afford and not one willing to do the job with limited funds. Not of the same caliber as Moyes.

All suggestions so far in this thread are either:

Not willing to come to Everton (Mourinho, SAF etc)

Not as good as Moyes (Adkins, Alex McLeish, Mick McCarthy, Steve Round and Avram Grant)

I don't think he is going to Sevilla now to negotiate for a new job. Shouldn't that be up to Sevilla to travel to Moyes to offer him a job? More likely discussing a transfer or a loan. I might be wrong and if I am its going to be really difficult to find a new manager of the same high standard.

I imagine Swansea fans thought that when Martinez left... and then when Rodgers left... but they havent done too bad. Same could be said with Norich fans and Lambert and probably know with Soton fans and Adkins.

I think there are certainly managers out there who could have got us to win more games this season, but I doubt there would have been any better at creating the squad he has from the players he inherited. No manager is perfect but Moyes is a good fit for us given our current status but you simply dont know if there are better managers for us out there until it eventually happens.

I cant see what all the fuss is about myself

He has said he will sit down after the transfer window to discuss it and I cant see him not signing. He has intimated on more than one occasion that he sees his long term future ay Goodison so I really dont see anything to worry about

Maybe the delay until after the window is to ensure the board dont try and force him to sell any of his top players and if so good on him

I cant see what all the fuss is about myself

He has said he will sit down after the transfer window to discuss it and I cant see him not signing. He has intimated on more than one occasion that he sees his long term future ay Goodison so I really dont see anything to worry about

Maybe the delay until after the window is to ensure the board dont try and force him to sell any of his top players and if so good on him

I think you're right,I think he'll sign first week in Feb provided he keeps his team.

I think you're right,I think he'll sign first week in Feb provided he keeps his team.

Hopefully that will give the lads a boost in form, morale, and motivation. We could use one right now. I just hope we can somehow get Jelavic back into semi-decent form, and get Gibbo and MIrallas healthy, and keep them healthy.

I said before I don't think Moyes can do anymore than he has already achieved with regards to the direct above, as in a fourth place finish, and remain adamant we won't win a trophy with the Scot in charge, but if by some feat, that occurs, say this very season, I'll be first to stand up and admit being in the wrong, but I just can't see it to be truthful. For the last time, simply panics at the most critical stages or whenever within touching distance of something to win, and that may well become evident once again, as will be demonstrated with a win in the fifth rounds and quarter final, if we can do it once again.

500 games in charge is a special achievement for any one club, especially in a day and age where managers are lucky to last five months with some of the more ruthless or impatient chairmen and owners overseeing things. But would Moyes really have lasted this long at another club ? Especially without an actual trophy to his name, despite all the fine league achievements.

I said before I don't think Moyes can do anymore than he has already achieved with regards to the direct above, as in a fourth place finish, and remain adamant we won't win a trophy with the Scot in charge, but if by some feat, that occurs, say this very season, I'll be first to stand up and admit being in the wrong, but I just can't see it to be truthful. For the last time, simply panics at the most critical stages or whenever within touching distance of something to win, and that may well become evident once again, as will be demonstrated with a win in the fifth rounds and quarter final, if we can do it once again.

500 games in charge is a special achievement for any one club, especially in a day and age where managers are lucky to last five months with some of the more ruthless or impatient chairmen and owners overseeing things. But would Moyes really have lasted this long at another club ? Especially without an actual trophy to his name, despite all the fine league achievements.

Probably not and its a credit to BK that he stuck by him

I don't think bill could create a good justification for not sticking by him... I will try my best though.

"This evening myself and the board decided to part ways with David moyes. I would like to thank David for his effort in his time here but we are looking for that manager who can take us to that next step. I must commend David for clearing out all the dead wood he inherited from Walter smith, ignoring the kings dock fuck up, kirby fiasco, fake investors and having to continually sell one of his gems to operate on a net transfer spend of £2.5m per season.

I appreciate that he has had to work under ridiculous constraints and miss out on many of his scouted wish lists - of which included Michael essien, petr cech, Eden hazard, Phil jones, all when they were attractively priced and available.

Moving forward we are pleased to confirm that Gary Megson has agreed a 3 year deal. I remember being in the boys pen in 1979 for his debut, and I turned round and said to the lad who was pissing in my pocket "he will manage this club one day" - that lad was Paul McCartney, honestly, Tommy Steele was with me, I'll never forget it.

I don't think bill could create a good justification for not sticking by him... I will try my best though.

"This evening myself and the board decided to part ways with David moyes. I would like to thank David for his effort in his time here but we are looking for that manager who can take us to that next step. I must commend David for clearing out all the dead wood he inherited from Walter smith, ignoring the kings dock fuck up, kirby fiasco, fake investors and having to continually sell one of his gems to operate on a net transfer spend of £2.5m per season.

I appreciate that he has had to work under ridiculous constraints and miss out on many of his scouted wish lists - of which included Michael essien, petr cech, Eden hazard, Phil jones, all when they were attractively priced and available.

Moving forward we are pleased to confirm that Gary Megson has agreed a 3 year deal. I remember being in the boys pen in 1979 for his debut, and I turned round and said to the lad who was pissing in my pocket "he will manage this club one day" - that lad was Paul McCartney, honestly, Tommy Steele was with me, I'll never forget it.

Ha ha that last paragraph made me laugh.

If Moyes was to leave, either by resignation or a firing, and the latter won't happen, Gary Megson is one name the club would never pursue or even consider. It's been discussed a thousand times before, but most likely replacements would be (if available) O Neill, Pardew, Curbishley for example. It's a nice idea thinking we could bring in Hiddink or Mourinho etc but it's not going to occur. Thing is, it's all what if's and maybe's, as right now, Moyes is in charge, and I can't see him going anywhere fast. There's no way Kenwright will expel him, so that only leaves the Scot leaving on his own decision.

My initial point was that Moyes simply wouldn't last at clubs I don't need to mention, as despite some good achievements without anything actual won, some chairmen only want trophies through the door and anything else, seems to go by the wayside. If Moyes had a bottomless pit of money at his disposal and after eighteen months for example no successes were forthcoming, a number of clubs would simply see that as a failure and try for someone else. People have said things about Kenwright going back far enough, and some harsh words, but you have to applaud that he's not some nasty snide type like Ambramovich who just dismisses managers, and treats people like shit, even though they have done well and delivered successes. If we had the money that some had or investment, and were more consistent or play like we know we can, and with Moyes overseeing things, it would have been real interesting to see where that may bring. Everybody's aware of how far we have come since 2002 with Moyes in charge and the general garbage that came before it.

Hmmmmm So you are completely ignoring the fact BK stuck by Moyse in his earlier days when the club finished 15th and 17th in 2001/02 and 2003/04 and supporters were calling for his head?

Hmmmmm So you are completely ignoring the fact BK stuck by Moyse in his earlier days when the club finished 15th and 17th in 2001/02 and 2003/04 and supporters were calling for his head?

The main reason he didn't go was we were that close to administration we couldn't afford to sack him and get someone else in. How could he have been justifiably sacked? Even if he took us down, he hasn't had a pot to piss in.

Edited by Hafnia

The main reason he didn't go was we were that close to administration we couldn't afford to sack him and get someone else in. How could he have been justifiably sacked? Even if he took us down, he hasn't had a pot to piss in.

Of cause he could have sacked him, especially after we finished 17th in 2004. He wasnt on big bucks back then and he would have been 3 years into his contract so it would have cost peanuts to sack him

You are quick enough to criticise BK when he fucks up, and there have been plenty of occasions where you would be fully justified in doing so, but in true BU fashion you bury your head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge anything he gets right

Moyes only arrived in around March or April of 2002 to one response, so most of what the club achieved that season (2001/02) was Smith's work, and Kenwright, or anyone (hopefully) wouldn't have put a poor season down to just a new manager and their two months or so in charge towards an end. Although it was Smith, and not Moyes that took us to an FA cup quarter final that season I remember.

2003/04 was a bit further on in time, and the club had a poor season, even with the kid prodigy Rooney involved, but of course the very year before we did well and almost grabbed a UEFA cup place, and it was only a year or two into the Moyes tenure, so you can appreciate the clubs patience. And lo and behold, that was rewarded the very next season, as we obtained champions league soccer of all things.

I think in retrospect we did the right thing in keeping him employed here for a few years more, but have to say again I really don't think there's any further the Scot can take us, in way of achievements