IGNORED

David Moyes - sign or go ?

Avinalaff

1. 1. How do you feel about Moyes delaying signing a new contract?

• Happy
    • Unhappy
    • Neutral

Transforming us from perennial strugglers with an aging squad to perennial challengers for euro spots with some of the best players in the premiership seems the obvious reason to me!

Still got an ageing squad, but whatever makes your list longer...

So consistently top of the middle is a bigger achievement than saving us from going down in the first place?

So consistently top of the middle is a bigger achievement than saving us from going down in the first place?

Felli, Mirrallas, Coleman, Gibson, Oviedo, Duffy, Junior, Fer (supposedly), Velios.... Then theres bringing the likes of Rodwell, Barkley, Duffy, Maggie through.

I suppose we could always compare them to the likes of Marcus Bent, Kevin Kilbane, Mark Pembridge.... Oh wait....

And yes, keeping us up in the top half has helped stem the financial mess as well as giving Evertonians hope and higher expectations for the first time in my memory. 1 off event (which was one hell of a feat) does not 'beat' years and years of massive improvement....

Edited by Matt

To be fair he nearly got us relegated just 2 seasons later - Moyes has done a brilliant job at EFC recognised by 3 manager of the year awards. So the rebuilding overall is prob the biggest achievement or maybe breaking the top 4 - only a few clubs can claim that in the last decade, non with comparable finances to us.

Felli, Mirrallas, Coleman, Gibson, Oviedo, Duffy, Junior, Fer (supposedly), Velios.... Then theres bringing the likes of Rodwell, Barkley, Duffy, Maggie through.

I suppose we could always compare them to the likes of Marcus Bent, Kevin Kilbane, Mark Pembridge.... Oh wait....

And yes, keeping us up in the top half has helped stem the financial mess as well as giving Evertonians hope and higher expectations for the first time in my memory. 1 off event (which was one hell of a feat) does not 'beat' years and years of massive improvement....

The squad he inherited wasn't that bad, it was easily enough for a top half finish under a better manager than the inept Walter 'lets play Steve Watson as a striker' Smith.

Carsley, Graveson, Weir, Ferguson, Campbell, Pistone/Naysmith, Unsworth. Plus youngsters Hibbert, Osman, and Rooney on their way through. His job of improving us wasn't as difficult as the papers like to make out. Main thing he needed was a right winger and its took him a decade to sort that problem (if it is sorted by Mirallas who looks more natural on the left), after wasting part of Arteta's and Osman's career there.

To be fair he nearly got us relegated just 2 seasons later - Moyes has done a brilliant job at EFC recognised by 3 manager of the year awards. So the rebuilding overall is prob the biggest achievement or maybe breaking the top 4 - only a few clubs can claim that in the last decade, non with comparable finances to us.

If we'd have fully qualified for the Champs League after the 4th place finish we wouldn't be having this discussion it's a very close second.

Edit: Once Moyes leaves my main memory and imo the pinnacle of his Everton career will be that he saved is, same as Kevin Campbell, although Moyes offered a lot more after the initial period than Campbell ever done.

Edited by pete0

The squad he inherited wasn't that bad, it was easily enough for a top half finish under a better manager than the inept Walter 'lets play Steve Watson as a striker' Smith.

Carsley, Graveson, Weir, Ferguson, Campbell, Pistone/Naysmith, Unsworth. Plus youngsters Hibbert, Osman, and Rooney on their way through. His job of improving us wasn't as difficult as the papers like to make out. Main thing he needed was a right winger and its took him a decade to sort that problem (if it is sorted by Mirallas who looks more natural on the left), after wasting part of Arteta's and Osman's career there.

but thats not what you said. Noone is arguing that it shouldnt have been hard to improve on the team he inherited. You pointed out that we had an ageing squad, when clearly thats not correct.

5th oldest in the league with the smallest squad.

I only view neville and Distin as 'old' but they are both still valuable to EFC - Neville certainly has got Fer/Coleman to occupy his positions. Distin has Duffy maybe or this will be an area we'll strengthen in. Players like Jags, Osman, Pienaar still have at least 3 years at the top level. I would however like us to actively look to cover/compete Howard - not old in goalkeeping terms but still needs that top level competition.

thanks Pete, interesting! I wouldnt say an average age of 27-28 is aging though!

You're welcome. Neville out at the end of the season should put us at the sweet spot, hopefully get more players rotated in as well. The size of the squad is worrying considering we've made the least amount of subs in the league, Moyes needs to use what he's got and not burn out the first choices.

My worry now is that the board have confirmed Moyes' worst fears as to their ambition. Them being able to get in the players he'd identified is surely some of the criteria he's weighing up when he's considering our contract offer.

He's said all this window - and a number of the players have echoed it - that we need fresh faces in the match day squad. If we start to struggle it will be because the players aren't fresh, uncertainty over the managers position etc. I really hope not but I'm feeling underwhelmed after this window.

Can we blame the board for this window? I dont think so. Theres no blame to pass. We went for Fer, he was damaged goods. There was little time left and a limited amount of money. (even if it was more than DM is used to)

In fact, the board had found at least 8 million. Im glad that Everton didnt panic and buy someone just for the sake of spending.

Stick that money into the bank instead. Lets wait for the 30 mil coming in for Felli in the summer. DM can do wonders with 20 of them. (if he still is around)

Still dissappointed though but we cant really blame the board or Moyes.

Edited by Peter H

I don't think you can blame the board or say that there was a lack of ambition with their backing of Moyes. They did back him, but the deal didn't come off (Fer). There's probably more reason to blame Moyes than the board as maybe he should have had other players in mind just incase (personally I don't think that way).

So if Moyes does go at the end of the season (I think he will) then it's not because he wasn't backed in this window.

Not many agreed with my assessment post transfer window but unfortunately it seems Moyes does. Maybe he's equally as disappointed as I was on Friday morning. Hopefully we'll continue to get some good results and the negativity will turn into optimism.

"Asked whether the lack of big-name arrivals to boost Everton’s Champions League credentials would effect his decision to sign a new contract, the Scot said: “I wouldn’t discuss it, we’re only a day over it, but we’re concerned we didn’t add to what we got because I wanted to give the players something extra. We are disappointed obviously, Fer is a top player and it’s a shame it turned out like that, but we are still one of the contenders to be in the top half and in and around the top four."