IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

A major problem, in my opinion, is the lack of partnerships we have. There doesn’t seem to be any pairs/ groups that have a natural cohesion in their play. Baines/Pienaar, Lescott/Jagielka, Lukaku/Barkley, Cahill/Arteta, Parkinson/Ebrell/Horne. I think we have some quality individuals but maybe they just don’t necessarily compliment each other. Digne/Bernard should compliment each other attribute wise as should Gueye/Gomes/Gylfi but for whatever reason so many of our players seem strangers. Maybe it’s the manager/tactics, maybe there’s just one or two missing pieces e.g a striker who can play with his back to goal - whatever it is, I don’t know but something’s not right.

On another note - I remember Allardyce alluding to the fact that our players were mentally weak - there was talk of a psychologist even. This is probably the one thing he got spot on - it’s a worry to me.

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

A major problem, in my opinion, is the lack of partnerships we have. There doesn’t seem to be any pairs/ groups that have a natural cohesion in their play. Baines/Pienaar, Lescott/Jagielka, Lukaku/Barkley, Cahill/Arteta, Parkinson/Ebrell/Horne. I think we have some quality individuals but maybe they just don’t necessarily compliment each other. Digne/Bernard should compliment each other attribute wise as should Gueye/Gomes/Gylfi but for whatever reason so many of our players seem strangers. Maybe it’s the manager/tactics, maybe there’s just one or two missing pieces e.g a striker who can play with his back to goal - whatever it is, I don’t know but something’s not right.

On another note - I remember Allardyce alluding to the fact that our players were mentally weak - there was talk of a psychologist even. This is probably the one thing he got spot on - it’s a worry to me.

Good points.

Partnerships take time though and how many of the likely starting 11 have played together in those positions for more than a season? Part of the success we had under Moyes was that we didn't change much year on year. One main signing to the starting 11 maybe with one player leaving? They were also gradually brought in over the course of the season instead of being thrown in and expected to perform.

19 hours ago, c1982 said:

I've been saying that about our midfield for ages more in the Gana thread I grant you, we have no understanding in midfield whether going forward or defending, Gylfi is isolated from the other two which is because he plays just behind the striker which I do understand but when we don't have the ball he becomes inactive because he very rarely gets back behind the ball to defend, then the other two whether Gomes Gana Davies or Schniederlin look like complete strangers, they don't communicate or work as a unit they can at times be 30-40 yards apart at times for me it's embarrassing to watch I've coached kids that have more understanding of how to work together than we are seeing, I have my beliefs of why we seem so weak in that area with on paper what should be a sound unit. but that's for another thread.

I don’t think this is the right place to put this so please feel free to move it.

I maybe the only one feeling this and if so forget it but the forum is beginning to feel very somber almost depressing in its mood , it maybe due to how the team  are performing I’m not sure it’s hard to put a finger on it, or it’s because not enough new members are posting and those that do don’t seem to hang around to long so things are going a bit stale and need newbies to freshen it up a bit. 

But to be honest I’m finding it difficult to keep motivated with it and that’s generally not like me, are others feeling the same I would be interested to know if only to try and lift the mood, because all though the membership slowly increases the amount of posters seems to decrease. 

21 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don’t think this is the right place to put this so please feel free to move it.

I maybe the only one feeling this and if so forget it but the forum is beginning to feel very somber almost depressing in its mood , it maybe due to how the team  are performing I’m not sure it’s hard to put a finger on it, or it’s because not enough new members are posting and those that do don’t seem to hang around to long so things are going a bit stale and need newbies to freshen it up a bit. 

But to be honest I’m finding it difficult to keep motivated with it and that’s generally not like me, are others feeling the same I would be interested to know if only to try and lift the mood, because all though the membership slowly increases the amount of posters seems to decrease. 

Peaks and troughs with the performances. Unfortunately the results tend to affect our moods but I'd say that about any football fan rather than specifically this forum. 

The none football related topics tend to stay safe though. 

36 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Peaks and troughs with the performances. Unfortunately the results tend to affect our moods but I'd say that about any football fan rather than specifically this forum. 

The none football related topics tend to stay safe though. 

Fair play just me then losing the plot. 

45 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Fair play just me then losing the plot. 

Not at all, you didn't mention Gana once😜

In all seriousness, I think most are currently feeling a bit disappointed in how we're playing, we had a slow start and then started to play as we hoped we would under Marco, the the wheels fell off, a couple of back to back wins with decent performances and we'll be fine, hopefully by next Tuesday evening.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

It's normal with everything going on. Don't worry, the mood will change again when we go on a run. 

8 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Not at all, you didn't mention Gana once😜

In all seriousness, I think most are currently feeling a bit disappointed in how we're playing, we had a slow start and then started to play as we hoped we would under Marco, the the wheels fell off, a couple of back to back wins with decent performances and we'll be fine, hopefully by next Tuesday evening.

I new I'd forgotten something😃

12 hours ago, Palfy said:

The mood of the forum always reflects the mood of the fan base. It’s natural. If I hear groans on the terraces I hear the same ones here a few hours later. We are pretty much a snapshot of the fan base I think. 

If we have a big win the forum is busy and positive. We get beat and the forum is full of us regulars having a moan. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

Wish we had a few players atm with that mentality. 

That’s exactly what we are missing recently. I love to see emotion, I love players who wear their heart on their sleeve. I love players who will fight for the badge.

I don’t aee any of it in the team at the moment.

52 minutes ago, Shukes said:

That’s exactly what we are missing recently. I love to see emotion, I love players who wear their heart on their sleeve. I love players who will fight for the badge.

I don’t aee any of it in the team at the moment.

We've signed players who have come for the salary rather than the opportunity unfortunately. Here's hoping Brands will keep true to the old morals and find players who 'get Everton'. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

We've signed players who have come for the salary rather than the opportunity unfortunately. Here's hoping Brands will keep true to the old morals and find players who 'get Everton'. 

City have had the same thing. It’s the only way to attract better talent unfortunately. We aren’t big enough or popular enough to get them here any other way. City now just have enough of them to win things, but those players don’t care about City. That could be any club to them. 

48 minutes ago, StevO said:

City have had the same thing. It’s the only way to attract better talent unfortunately. We aren’t big enough or popular enough to get them here any other way. City now just have enough of them to win things, but those players don’t care about City. That could be any club to them. 

Think we're similar to what they were like with Robinho but they also managed to find players like Kompany who play for the shirt and most of their players now are winners at least. Half of ours don't seem fussed about losing, no pride it's just a job to them. 

We should be looking at hungry players rather than those who are good and just after a payday. Of Walsh's signings only Pickford really has the quality and the mentality. I don't think Walsh looked beyond the stats enough, Moyes looked at the man rather than the player, as did Martinez. Koeman/Walsh didn't get us and questions still out in Silva. 

46 minutes ago, johnh said:

Now that we have nothing to play for (do we still enter the Liverpool Senior Cup?) the big problem is, that if we lose our next three or four games, then we are in a relegation battle. We do not have enough 'battlers' in our squad.

If we lose to Huddersfield the pressure is definitely on we won't be just playing for midfield mediocrity we will definitely be looking over our shoulders, then I think Wolves will pull us a part with pinpoint long passes into the big spaces the FB leave when they are pushing to far up the pitch.