IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

nah between kane and alli they had no chance.

That's because Kane and Alli approach each and every game with an intensity that you want to see from your players.

Until late October Kane had only scored 1 premier league goal - not once in those games did he sulk, hide, or throw tantrums if the ball never came his way. He worked his backside off, made the runs, competed for everything and came through a big test with flying colours. No surprise that he never let a miss or two against Liverpool bother him - kept at it and scored a well taken goal. Kane doesn't have Roms athletic prowess but he absolutely destroys him for his mentality and work ethic.

Alli should be aspiring to be Barkley - but Barkley doesn't have Alli's drive and doesn't want it the way this lad does. As it happens Alli is the main man in the England set up now in terms of the playmaking midfielder.

That's because Kane and Alli approach each and every game with an intensity that you want to see from your players.

Until late October Kane had only scored 1 premier league goal - not once in those games did he sulk, hide, or throw tantrums if the ball never came his way. He worked his backside off, made the runs, competed for everything and came through a big test with flying colours. No surprise that he never let a miss or two against Liverpool bother him - kept at it and scored a well taken goal. Kane doesn't have Roms athletic prowess but he absolutely destroys him for his mentality and work ethic.

Alli should be aspiring to be Barkley - but Barkley doesn't have Alli's drive and doesn't want it the way this lad does. As it happens Alli is the main man in the England set up now in terms of the playmaking midfielder.

that's down to the manager though. they play the uber fitness press game. if we got biesla we would too and our team would play like that and look like that. instead we have tiki taka no fitness, and that's what shows.

ROM on PFA young player of the year shortlist, Alli will win it be a street though.

Sent from my padded cell using a carrier pigeon.

Had to redirect the pigeon for you.

It went back and forth a few times looking really pretty without really getting anywhere.

Phenomenal take off though.

that's down to the manager though. they play the uber fitness press game. if we got biesla we would too and our team would play like that and look like that. instead we have tiki taka no fitness, and that's what shows.

Fuck all to do with uber pressing. Its called not standing there with your thumb up your arse avoiding doing the bare minimum you expect off a player getting paid a fortune for a proud club.

Pair of lazy bastards and there is no excuse.

Is there anyone out there that still thinks James McCarthy is a good player? I'd be fascinated to hear your reasoning.

he is a "good player" who has not kicked on. If you want a player who can pick a pass, beat a man, score from 30 yards then no its not him.

If you want a combative midfielder who puts in a shift its him.

Example: tackled a defender and scored, made a tackle in the box and stopped a goal. we drew 1-1, could argue he stopped us getting beat.

I expect more from him, but he is a good player yes.

Is there anyone out there that still thinks James McCarthy is a good player? I'd be fascinated to hear your reasoning.

He's an average "destroyer" playing an outdated position. Modern DCM can pick a pass and tackle and run and attack. See busquets, matuidi, coquelin, arteta, etc

I'd prefer to see more of besic myself, has the same engine but can pass and also has more steel.

I'll put a shift in, am I a good player? Actually, the answer to that is yes...but not at this level.

I don't subscribe to it at all, he's so average it's not even funny. I don't understand how Everton fans can't see this. The minute Barry is out the team we struggle massively because of this headless clown. He has to put a shift in purely because his positioning and reading of the play is awful. He will run at a player, as he's not close enough, they'll pass it past him, he then has to run back. He really isn't very good at all. If he's supposed to replace Barry we're in serious trouble. So, defensively he's not up to scratch...is it even worth looking at his offensive contributions? Lack of ambition to get into the other half, refusal to look up for a pass, slows down every attack, never assist, never scores...no contribution whatsoever.

Overrated doesn't even cut it.

I'll put a shift in, am I a good player? Actually, the answer to that is yes...but not at this level.

I don't subscribe to it at all, he's so average it's not even funny. I don't understand how Everton fans can't see this. The minute Barry is out the team we struggle massively because of this headless clown. He has to put a shift in purely because his positioning and reading of the play is awful. He will run at a player, as he's not close enough, they'll pass it past him, he then has to run back. He really isn't very good at all. If he's supposed to replace Barry we're in serious trouble. So, defensively he's not up to scratch...is it even worth looking at his offensive contributions? Lack of ambition to get into the other half, refusal to look up for a pass, slows down every attack, never assist, never scores...no contribution whatsoever.

Overrated doesn't even cut it.

thank you, i've been the only one critical of him and people think i'm crazy, i'm glad someone else sees it as well.

Yes me.

Reasons being last night.

If you would have seen him before he got sent off you would have saw the pressing, the tackling, the passing and his Link up between defence and attack.

Against Watford I think he was a very close MoM. Had an excellent game.

Stupid sending off though. Persistent fouling and then a silly second yellow

thank you, i've been the only one critical of him and people think i'm crazy, i'm glad someone else sees it as well.

Excuse me Mark you ain't taking that title. Dunc's right I'm the only person who was banging this drum 2+ years ago. I stopped because I was in countless arguments over the topic.

I'll say just one more time though.... He's the most overrated Everton player I've ever seen. He does little much of naf all. Hopefully a new manager will see through this.

Excuse me Mark you ain't taking that title. Dunc's right I'm the only person who was banging this drum 2+ years ago. I stopped because I was in countless arguments over the topic.

I'll say just one more time though.... He's the most overrated Everton player I've ever seen. He does little much of naf all. Hopefully a new manager will see through this.

my bad MC forgot about you. so that makes 3 of us. we're growing :)

my bad MC forgot about you. so that makes 3 of us. we're growing :)

Make that 4 then. Don't know whether it's just perception or my mind playing tricks, but I've been convinced that his attitude and performance level dipped after he'd signed a bumper new 5 year deal (whilst still having 4 years left on the previous deal). Maybe being rewarded with a big contract has that effect, as Schneiderlin at United looks far removed from the player that Southampton sold.

I get the points about James doing the stuff in the background that gets missed by many, but don't see him as being anywhere near the best exponent of that and as has been mentioned, he offers little else in addition - since his first two seasons. Kante's season adds perspective to what a good defensive midfielder can bring.

Yes me.

Reasons being last night.

If you would have seen him before he got sent off you would have saw the pressing, the tackling, the passing and his Link up between defence and attack.

Against Watford I think he was a very close MoM. Had an excellent game.

Stupid sending off though. Persistent fouling and then a silly second yellow

So he puts in a half decent performance once in a while.. Is Joel a world class keeper having done that for half a dozen games? Behave yourself.

People are finally turning against Roberto, the sooner they realise that McCarthy is a waste of space the better. Honestly, watch him for 90 minutes. I can't emphasis this enough, the lad is absolute dog shit

Make that 4 then. Don't know whether it's just perception or my mind playing tricks, but I've been convinced that his attitude and performance level dipped after he'd signed a bumper new 5 year deal (whilst still having 4 years left on the previous deal). Maybe being rewarded with a big contract has that effect, as Schneiderlin at United looks far removed from the player that Southampton sold.

I get the points about James doing the stuff in the background that gets missed by many, but don't see him as being anywhere near the best exponent of that and as has been mentioned, he offers little else in addition - since his first two seasons. Kante's season adds perspective to what a good defensive midfielder can bring.

I honestly don't think it's as cynical as him getting a new contract .

His pace was a massive part of his game and I just don't think he has been the same player since he had all the problems with his hamstrings

He was out for a very long time and I honestly think it's finished him

I honestly don't think it's as cynical as him getting a new contract .

His pace was a massive part of his game and I just don't think he has been the same player since he had all the problems with his hamstrings

He was out for a very long time and I honestly think it's finished him

Yes, that would be far more plausible and likely just coincidental regarding the timing of the contract and his dip in performance. He certainly comes across as an honest lad, but just hasn't now got what he used to have and hasn't realised the potential that he once showed that he might. Or yet at least, because he's still young.

Not convinced that there isn't a new contract syndrome amongst the broader professional player contingent though. Human nature is such that one might outperform when looking to secure a better future outcome, before returning to a longer term norm subsequently, so not necessarily entirely cynical from that perspective.

I think this season has made us question every decent player we thought we had. I know I have.

Lukaku - Had a good season and his goals have kept us from falling even further down the table. However, questions still have to be asked about his all round contribution in matches as well as his attitude of late.

Barkley - For me he is under-performing and at 22 he hasn't developed to the player we hoped he would. Doesn't control games at all. That's my opinion though.

Stones - Had a bad patch which has raised questions about how good he actually is. Can he actually defend?

Coleman - Made a few defensive errors that have led to people saying he still does the same mistakes now as he did when he was 23/24.

Baines - Injury plagued season but hasn't looked anything near to the old Baines when he's played.

McCarthy - Used to be highly rated here but this season he's been below average at best. Stupid last night as well as we could easily have lost that with 10 men.

Deulofeu - Started well but has majorly fallen down the pecking order of late. Would like to see him play more but obviously the manager doesn't.

Mirallas - Big talent but again has been on the bench most of the season. Might be his attitude and disciplinary record but on his day a quality player. Haven't seen anything this season (might be Martinez's fault as he hasn't had much chance)

Those players are considered our best players but they've had a pretty crap campaign apart from Lukaku (some will disagree). Are they all overrated and actually not as good as we thought they were or is it the manager's fault with the tactics and the way he's managed them over a season? I honestly don't know but the players have to take a bit of responsibility if they're at the level we thought they were. The only ones who can come out of this season with a bit of credit are Mori, Barry, Lennon and Besic. One's a 35 year old who we can't seem to play without him, Lennon hardly played until January, Besic has been injured most of the season and it's Mori's first season here. Sort of shows how shit we have been and they're the ones coming out with a bit of credit.

If we get rid of Martinez then the next manager has a huge responsibility in sorting our squad.

Edited by Geth