IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

Too many articles in the echo for the Deulofeu stuff to just be 'interest'...anybody else think there's definitely more to it?? :P

I'll have to think about that one (the same way I have to think about the spelling every time I write his name) :unsure:.

Superb performances?

More like superb moments. He was poor in more than 50% of his games.

Can we afford to take on another failing potential?

I would rather we spend money on good solid players that cam come into tiebreak and do a job.

I would still be excited by him coming, but my head tells me that he is never going to fulfil his potential.

He's not 18 you know!

Forty goals in a season, pipped for two trophies, and the reason for selling him was..

"Howard Kendall later explained that he believed Everton’s style had become too direct with Lineker in the side, as a result of his searing pace."

Seriously need to put the gin bottle down Howard mate :unsure:.

Whatever you do Roberto, don't buy a forty goal a year man who's just won the Golden Boot at the World Cup or we'll start to look like Wimbledon!

Forty goals in a season, pipped for two trophies, and the reason for selling him was..

"Howard Kendall later explained that he believed Everton’s style had become too direct with Lineker in the side, as a result of his searing pace."

Seriously need to put the gin bottle down Howard mate :unsure:.

Whatever you do Roberto, don't buy a forty goal a year man who's just won the Golden Boot at the World Cup or we'll start to look like Wimbledon!

To be honest I agree with him, although I wouldn't have sold him

Without Lineker we had goals throughout the team , we had several players in double figures but when Lineker came everything went through him. I honestly think that was the reason we were pipped for the double that year

Lineker went through a bit of an iffy patch towards the end of the season and I remember us going to Oxford in the run in and Lineker missed about 4 sitters before John Aldridge went and nicked it for them with a break away goal to win 1-0

To be honest I agree with him, although I wouldn't have sold him

Without Lineker we had goals throughout the team , we had several players in double figures but when Lineker came everything went through him. I honestly think that was the reason we were pipped for the double that year

Lineker went through a bit of an iffy patch towards the end of the season and I remember us going to Oxford in the run in and Lineker missed about 4 sitters before John Aldridge went and nicked it for them with a break away goal to win 1-0

So you modify the system; I didn't see enough live games that year (mostly just London ones) to argue with your point but I don't agree with the conclusion, even though you said you wouldn't have sold him (in which case aren't you agreeing with him and then disagreeing :P?).

Also, we had Sharp, Heath, Steven and Sheedy all in double figures in 85/86, contributing fifty-nine goals between them so it's not really true to say that everything went through Lineker. Strangely enough the following year when we won the title the top scorer was Tricky Trev with fifteen.

No doubting the title was lost at Oxford that year though (0-0 v Forest a few days earlier didn't help); bit ironic given the Brock moment there just a couple of years previously :(.

So you modify the system; I didn't see enough live games that year (mostly just London ones) to argue with your point but I don't agree with the conclusion, even though you said you wouldn't have sold him (in which case aren't you agreeing with him and then disagreeing :P?).

Also, we had Sharp, Heath, Steven and Sheedy all in double figures in 85/86, contributing fifty-nine goals between them so it's not really true to say that everything went through Lineker. Strangely enough the following year when we won the title the top scorer was Tricky Trev with fifteen.

No doubting the title was lost at Oxford that year though (0-0 v Forest a few days earlier didn't help); bit ironic given the Brock moment there just a couple of years previously :(.

I was agreeing with Kendall that we were too one dimensional with Lineker in the side however I agree with you, we should have tweaked the system not sold our prized asset

2.8 million, wow!!

Not that I don't appreciate that was a lot then but how times have changed.

How much now, 100 million?

Just shows how strong we were and pisses me off what we had in our own hands that we let slip from our grasp.

But we didn't, the euro ban stripped it from our grasp (bitter, bitter, bitter/accusations. Yawn).

Think about the scenario (for people who weren't around then) players leaving to go to Rangers (of all clubs) so they could play in Europe.

We were banned (after having a trouble free party in Rotterdam) for five years because "we" were English and therefore hooligans. Everton fans did nothing; guilt by association. Backed by Thatcher (spit).

Eastern European nations nowadays have far more violence going on than English clubs did back then, so they get fined a few thousand €uros and if they're really evil play a game behind closed doors.

But we didn't, the euro ban stripped it from our grasp (bitter, bitter, bitter/accusations. Yawn).

Think about the scenario (for people who weren't around then) players leaving to go to Rangers (of all clubs) so they could play in Europe.

We were banned (after having a trouble free party in Rotterdam) for five years because "we" were English and therefore hooligans. Everton fans did nothing; guilt by association. Backed by Thatcher (spit).

Eastern European nations nowadays have far more violence going on than English clubs did back then, so they get fined a few thousand uros and if they're really evil play a game behind closed doors.

Kendall left us , I'll never forgive him for that, he should have kept Linaker and the team together we atill could have dominated domestically.

I know it's never going to happen but I wonder if we could have ever sued UEFA for banning us like that for nothing.

Probably sounds stupid but I've always wonderedthat.

Its amazing how we DONT/AREN'T tapping into that commercial potential though. It's frightening.

Spot on. After Howard's heroics in the World Cup you would have thought they'd put a couple American matches together to build off that, nothing.

It's like whether the club is winning champs league or playing in league 1 they do the same things day in and out. Sad really.

Spot on. After Howard's heroics in the World Cup you would have thought they'd put a couple American matches together to build off that, nothing.

It's like whether the club is winning champs league or playing in league 1 they do the same things day in and out. Sad really.

The fact that we've outsourced everything we possibly could and renew with Chang every time tells you everything you need to know - the club are only interested in what's easy.

I don't get it?

The article is saying we ate the one if the most improved brands revenue and worth wise isn't it?

But we still have the worst staff going?

I'm guessing it's all relative. If we made strides from a 4m 5 year deal to a 8m 5 year deal (making these numbers up, to explain my thinking better), then its a 100% growth which is huge. At least, the growth is huge, the actual deal is still a pittance in comparison with the 20-75m a year some other teams make.

I'd say its all the more impressive we're on that list despite our CEO in charge.

Edited by Matt

It's only small but it's a step in the right direction at least.

Another 40 years and we could be catching up the top six!

For that to happen we need to be ahead of the others, instead of lagging behind, because they are all going to continue to grow.

Not going to happen with Elstone at the wheel, based on the "record deals" we've seen in the last 5-7 years.