IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

10m in loans? Link please

just go to the oS and look up the financials. i did the other day. they're almost last page. also our trade partners owe us something like 25m, they need to get 3rd party collections agency or something, that's a significant outstanding debt.

mike independently audited doesn't mean anything. you can pick the auditor and you pay them, you don't like the results find a new one until you get what you want. i'm not arguing with you on this, just stating a fact taken from the financials, just pointing that out to matt. we disagree on this point and that's fine.

Edited by markjazzbassist

mike independently audited doesn't mean anything. you can pick the auditor and you pay them, you don't like the results find a new one until you get what you want. i'm not arguing with you on this, just stating a fact taken from the financials, just pointing that out to matt. we disagree on this point and that's fine.

Sadly you're talking complete tosh.

I think, with all the anti board stuff over the last fifteen years if there was the tiniest clue that the board were "money laundering" someone would have picked up on it by now. But you come in after a year and clarify it all for us, after only turning against the board a fortnight ago.

You cannot keep getting your accounts audited until you get the result you want. Fantasy. You're in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

Sadly you're talking complete tosh.

I think, with all the anti board stuff over the last fifteen years if there was the tiniest clue that the board were "money laundering" someone would have picked up on it by now. But you come in after a year and clarify it all for us, after only turning against the board a fortnight ago.

You cannot keep getting your accounts audited until you get the result you want. Fantasy. You're in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

ive explained this before mike. before the big TV revenue, there wasn't much to account for so the "no money for players, punching above our weight, etc etc" was debated, but was hard to prove since really we didn't have much money and were in a lot of debt. The massive influx of TV money changes things. If the same problems keep coming up yet we get free 80m, surely something is wrong.

but my friend, we disagree and that is fine. no worry.

ive explained this before mike. before the big TV revenue, there wasn't much to account for so the "no money for players, punching above our weight, etc etc" was debated, but was hard to prove since really we didn't have much money and were in a lot of debt. The massive influx of TV money changes things. If the same problems keep coming up yet we get free 80m, surely something is wrong.

but my friend, we disagree and that is fine. no worry.

Got to agree.

https://highslowsandbakayokos.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/everton-and-the-art-of-standing-still/

Who remembers the Big Five? The glamorous and select group of English football clubs who dominated the game in the 1980s and did so much to usher in the Premier League and the era of modern football as we know it.

If you don’t, because you’re either too young to remember or old enough to have forgotten, then let me remind you of this group’s composition. The members were: Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Spurs and…Everton.

That’s right, lowly, disregarded, media-ignored Everton. The club that can’t even get its local paper to provide balanced coverage of its comings and goings was once a powerhouse in the domestic game, a swinging dick that was part of the process of change that undermined the once mighty Football League and let Rupert Murdoch get his grubby little paws all over our national game.

As any Blue knows, not even the most generous definition of today’s elite would include Everton as a member. Our four peers have instead been joined by another two, as Chelsea and Man City have risen from mediocrity to take a place at the top table.

One of the most enduring questions amongst Evertonians is, how did this happen? Why, amongst those five, were we alone in being ejected from the elite? Back in the late-1980s, when the Big Five were beginning to formulate their ‘breakaway plan’, in terms of finance, stature and support Everton were easily comparable to Arsenal, Spurs and possibly even Liverpool. But a generation on, that is no longer the case.

Over the past six months I’ve been looking at some of the reasons for Everton’s ejection for a book I’m writing about the club entitled, Highs, Lows and Bakayokos. Although it would be impossible to discuss them all in such a short piece, what becomes evident when looking at the modern history of the club is how enduring an unwillingness or inability to invest in Everton has been.

Whether it is the tight-fisted board of the post-war years, John Moores absentee landlord act during most of his reign, Peter Johnson’s disastrous choking of the club in the late 90s or Bill Kenwright’s modern era of penury, the Everton board has spent most of the past seventy years starving the club of investment.

Until the 1990s, a combination of natural advantages and the relatively unsophisticated nature of football ensured that this approach to the game could still yield results at a club like Everton. Goodison was big, crowds were sizable, players were relatively cheap, wages were relatively low and bargains could be found. What’s more, the overwhelming majority of clubs were in a similar position.

But over the past thirty years, this once benign environment has turned malignant for Everton. Goodison is no longer as big as those stadiums belonging to our rivals. Our attendances are dwarfed by those enjoyed by Arsenal, United and Liverpool. Players are wildly expensive to buy. Wages are extortionate. Bargains, at any level, are much, much harder to come by. And perhaps most damagingly of all, most of our former peers are backed by much deeper pockets.

Everton had a model that worked for a long time. The club might not have enjoyed constant success, but in the context of the relatively undeveloped world of English football, it had enough clout to ensure that success was always a possibility. And if the Premier League had never arrived, and if English football had remained as unpopular and vilified as it was in the 1980s, and if Rupert Murdoch hadn’t got his hands all over our game, then that model might still be doing the trick.

But Everton have stood still. Goodison was never redeveloped. Our attendances have been needlessly limited. We have failed to truly capture that all important corporate clientele. And our owners are rarely willing to put their hands in their collective pockets. As a result, players cost more than we can afford and the price of keeping the ones we’ve got stretches the club to its limits.

A willingness to invest in what remains a prize asset within the game, could have made so much difference to Everton. Whether something as simple as a two tiered Park End, something slightly grander, like a redeveloped Bullens Road, or something revolutionary, like relocation, any example of forward thinking would have been beneficial. Instead, the board has been timid, content to stand still, think small and hope for the best.

Although the club has unquestionably fallen off the pace, the decline has been tempered by the Moyes-era and by the limited number of wealthier clubs that exist in the top flight. But with Moyes gone and more and more clubs getting their financial act together, will the next generation see Everton slip even further away from the top?

Despite out natural inclination towards the pessimistic, most Evertonians hope and believe that meaningful success is still a possibility. But realistically, how likely is that if the club refuses to abandon its traditional mentality and join the 21st century. It’s no longer 1992, and success can’t be cobbled together on a wing and a prayer. Corporate football might be repellent to many, but only those that embrace it have any chance of succeeding in the modern game. Only when Everton stop behaving like Everton will we start closing the gap that had opened up between us and our former peers.

Edited by tenaciousj

Someone simulated a Football Manager 2015 game through 1,000 years, during that time Everton won a solitary League Cup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3fioa1/the_millenial_sim_is_here_1000_years_of_simming/

Hopefully. Things won't be that glum in reality.

We won the League Cup!?!?

:yay: :jump for joy: