IGNORED

'Your' Team

If you could construct a team, compiled of players that you admired, respected, adored, looked up to; what would yours look like?

You can pick any player, from any team, nationality and era. You can go into as much depth as you'd like, as to the reasons for their selection. And you don't have to pick the 'ultimate' 11...i'm looking to see how your personalities are reflected in the choices that you make.

My team would consist of proven players, technically astute, passionate and players whom, if I were to look up to as a kid getting into football, who would I use to inspire me. Generally, they're like'able in character and have the ability to match.

--- Southall ---

Cafu -- Beckenbauer -- Cannavaro -- Baines

Moutinho -- Seedorf -- Fellaini -- Davids

---- 'Dixie' Dean ---- Totti ----

I've included, skill, hard work and good characters. Some are very loyal, some exceptional athletes. If they lack something, they make it up in other ways.

I have left out some big names i.e. Ronaldo (Both), Messi, Maradonna...because I just don't like them, for one reason or another.

So what would your team look like?

Hart

Coleman Hummels Kompany Baines

N. Dyer Xavi Britton Bale

Iniesta

Messi

I've mixed my team with players that I admire for their skill and ability and others who have been loyal to their clubs through lower leagues (Britton and dyer) and are now showing they have the ability to perform in the premier league and some who I've just thought are overall pretty sound guys.

Hart for example, everytime I've seen him interviewed, he comes across as a really down to earth person and I admire that a lot considering he's at city, where a lot of them are so far up their own arses its frightening and he still shows a lot of hunger and a will to win on the pitch, the rest of them seem quite happy to just pick up their pay slips and couldn't give two tenths of a fuck.

Coleman as well, I met him in the summer playing golf and he was a top bloke, I also admire where he has come from. Similar story with baines, he's our Steven Gerrard IMO, only not a cunt. He's going no where in the summer and I'm fairly certain he will see his career out with us, he's a local lad as well and always gives 100%.

Hummels is there because he's been at Dortmund for a while now after being pretty much rejected at bayern and he's come through to prove himself as a world class CB.

Kompany and Bale are there on talent, though bale is letting this recent form go to his head a bit now I think. Xavi, Iniesta and messi are there because they are world class players and have been at the club since they were kids, okay it is Barcelona but they easily could have pushed for a big pay day somewhere. instead they've helped set a president for a new type of football globally.

I don't get how people don't like messi, he's not arrogant or cocky, when he gets kicked he's straight back up and getting on with it and he's probably the best player there will ever be. What's not to like?

Schmeichel

Cafu. Baresi koeman Maldini

Figo. Zidane gullit Giggs

Maradona. Ronaldo

My team from the mid 80's onwards, this is my generation, and what I think is the best players from that generation. As a world X1 I think it would be pretty unstoppable against any team, plenty of goals in it, but also a solid defence and skilful midfield! Messi doesn't get in because for me he has yet to replicate his club form internationally

Edited by mogsy

I'm quite young so I can't really give a team that has a massive life-span. The first World Cup that I really remember was in 2002 (when I was 9) so all my players are pretty much from there and on-wards.

GK: Iker Casillas

Casillas is probably the best goalkeeper I've seen in the years that I've been following football. He sounds a lot like how my Dad describes Neville Southall, even if a player broke through and got one-on-one with him you'd still fancy Southall to make the save. I feel the same way about Iker, I think that he's the best all-round goalkeeper in the world at the moment and I can never see him conceding a goal.

RB: Phillip Lahm

Even though he's German I think he's brilliant. He's great at defending but can also attack with deadly force, I consider him to be one of the best players that Germany have had in the past few years and think he's a really decent bloke too as he's set up his own foundation to help kids in poverty both in Europe and Africa (something which I admire). He's also won the ball 99 times this season and is yet to pick up a yellow card.

CB: Gerard Pique & Sylvain Distin

Gerard Pique is a great defender in my book, he's one of those players who doesn't go bounding round the pitch but does his job quietly and without a fuss. Whenever I've seen him in action for Barcelona I've been impressed. Sylvain also wins a spot in my team because he's a fucking tank (and looks like Buzz Lightyear).

LB: Leighton Baines

Does this really need an explanation?

RM: David Beckham ©

One of my all-time favourite footballers... actually he's probably my favourite. His passion for England is second to none and I'll always love him for that goal he scored against Greece back in 2001. I love his passion, commitment and attitude towards life in general. You can't argue that he's an amazing footballer (especially with a dead ball at his feet).

CM: Xavi & David Silva

David Silva looked shite against Everton at the weekend but they again which City player didn't? In every other game I've seen him he's looked a class above all that's around him, when he first came to England my jaw hit the floor, with the ball at his feet he is un-touchable and when linked with Xavi for Spain they're both a class act. Xavi himself wins a place in team for just being increadible, he's the heart of the Barcelona team and someone who always puts in a top shift, I'd put Iniesta in there too but sadly I can't play 12 players.

LM: Ryan Giggs

No, Gareth Bale is getting nowhere near my XI because he's over-rated, a cheat and looks like something that's escaped from Chester Zoo - this place is reserved for Giggsy. You don't make that many appearances for Manchester United if you're a normal footballer. Ryan in my opinion is one of the best players we've had in the Premier League and I think he's a really sound bloke aswell (bar the shagging).

AM: Lionel Messi

The best player I've ever seen in my life. I could go on for hours about how good he is but I'd be here all day, an 11/10 player and one which will also be known as one of the 'greats', his attitude is great too. It's good to see someone that good yet so humble.

ST: Thierry Henry

I think Henry is a cock for when he did to Ireland but when I was younger I absolutely loved him. I guess I'll forgive and forget what happened and give him a start in my Dream XI. I can remember watching MOTD when I was a little kid in bed just so that I could see Thierry play, he was one of the best players I've ever seen in his hay-day at Arsenal and even though he did what he did to get France to the World Cup I guess it was just passion that got the better of him. For me he's a legend.

Sub: Peter Enckelman/Massimo Taibi

If I was being serious then I'd choose Joe Hart as I really admire him but I had to put Enckelman in here just because he's hilarious. That goal he conceded against Birmingham City (yes, that one). Has to be one of the funniest fuck-ups ever (especially considering it was a derby). Taibi could back him up too for that lovely fuck-up against Southampton.

Sub: Titus Bramble

Another hilarious player because he's fucking useless. If I had a pound for the number of times he's made me laugh I'd be able to retire early, I never understood why he was given a professional contract and then realised it was as a stress relief to the fans.

Sub: Arjen Robben, Francesco Totti & Alessandro Del Piero

Right, gonna be serious again now. Robben because he's class, Totti & Piero because they're living legends. Totti for me has always been something that I admire, I like AS Roma and like him in turn because he's been there so long. When I played for Italy in the 2002 World Cup him and Vieri were a deadly force, it's a wonder why they didn't get further than they did.

Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson/Jose Mourinho

Again, no explanation needed. SAF is probably the best manager the English game has seen and I'm sure Jose is going to be a close second when he calls time on his career.

All the players I've selected are from when they were in their peak. I wouldn't have Thierry Henry now because he's 35 and isn't up to the pace of the Premier League anymore. Same with Robben, at Chelsea & Madrid he was immense but I know he has dipped a little since joining up with Bayern.

All the players I've selected are from when they were in their peak. I wouldn't have Thierry Henry now because he's 35 and isn't up to the pace of the Premier League anymore. Same with Robben, at Chelsea & Madrid he was immense but I know he has dipped a little since joining up with Bayern.

Oh I know, I wasn't criticising your decision mate. Was just commenting on how good he used to be and how much he has declined since then :)

I don't get how people don't like messi, he's not arrogant or cocky, when he gets kicked he's straight back up and getting on with it and he's probably the best player there will ever be. What's not to like?

I just don't. Things like this don't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9a9YKR1nJE

Everytime I've watched him, he's 80% brilliance, 20% snide. And that's why I haven't put him in.

I think he's brilliant and have huge respect for him as a footballer, I just don't like him.

Schmeichel

Maldini - Nesta - Cannavaro - Baines

Figo - Rui Costa - Deco - C. Ronaldo

Fat Ronaldo - Batistuta

Subs:

Vitor Baia

Roberto Carlos

Totti/Zidane

Bergkamp

Big Dunc

Manager:

Mourinho

I know I have Maldini at right back but I couldn't leave him out could I? Besides no other right back stands out for me at the moment. Cafu was very good of course but not worthy of making my team tongue.png

I started following football with USA 94, and loved Italian football as you can probably tell. I was also lucky enough to grow up watching the so called golden generation of Portuguese football.

pfff..... not sure how I can cut this down to 11... But i'll try :)

.................Schmeichel..................

Dave Watson....Maldini..........Baines

Messi ... Zidane .... Viera ....Osman

Bergkamp ... Ronaldo ... Henry

A mix of players I admire because of who they are or their insane skills.

Have to use a weird formation to get them in.

_____Southall

__Neville Stam Weir

Beckham Effenberg Ball

___Scholes Totti

____Bergkamp

_____Zola

Southall, iconic half time sit.

Tempted to go for Dave Watson as he was grossly under-rated by whoever picked the England team, but decided to go for Stam simply because he's a class above. Weir, with his lack of pace most footballers would never made it pro, but luckily he had everything else a defender needed. Probably the cleverest centre half I've been lucky enough to watch.

Neville-Beckham. Great partnership, got to admire that it was largely down to determination rather than talent.

Even though Cambiasso is arguably better (the best?) Effenberg had the winners mentality that makes him slightly edge it for this team.

Scholes the best player during my life time. Ball is one of the only players I believe would have been in the top players regardless of era, Everton football legend.

Totti, them chips on Goalissimo!

Bergkamp just oozed class, and although not as technically gifted Zola was a class act too and a really likable guy. When the vultures from SSN's camped at the bottom of his garden waiting for him to be sacked, most would have told them to Feck off, Zole took the a brew over.

So difficult but I cant understand why only one person has mentioned Roberto Carlos. Id have him or Maldini at lb.

When i was young, playing football with my mates I always used to "be" Platini.

Papin was great to.

This is way to hard for me at the moment tho, need to think for a couple of years

Sure we did something like this some time ago, as pick your best world XI or something ?

In any event,

GK Yashin (Soviet Union)

DF McNeill (Scotland)

DF Beckenbauer (West Germany)

DF Gentile (Italy)

DF Wright (England)

MF Platini (France)

MF Maradona (Argentina)

MF Charlton (England)

MF Souness (Scotland)

CF Greaves (England)

CF Puskas (Hungary)

I'd deploy a 4-4-2 and that would be a damn fine team to go with.

He was a great player. Similar to Souness as a midfield enforcer or hard man who took no liberties and scared the crap out of opposition players, and thought he would be a worthy inclusion.

Picked Puskas and Greaves as star center forwards but did consider Clough, Van Basten and even Rush of all things, but it was a difficult choice in the end.

Worth noting Puskas played for Spain at international level as well as Hungary

-------------------Courtois------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Lahm-------Stam--------Maldini------R.Carlos

-------------------M.Dembélé---------------------

----------------------Zidane-----------------------

--T.Muller------------------------------Nedved--

--------------Ronaldo------Nilis------------------

Don't mind the formation, I just wanted all these players in happy.png

All pretty known names, I didn't pick the "best" team but I picked the most entertaining team for me to watch, I absolutely loved/love seeing them play.

The least known name might be the most entertaining one : Nilis - Made the best striker partnerships I've ever seen with Ronaldo and later on with Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

A must see clip of him, his kicking technique is out of this world, just a small sample of his beautiful goals :

Was that the Belgian player who broke his leg when playing for Aston Villa and had to retire early. Wasn't really a player I rated, but it was unfortunate to see the player have to leave the game early in those circumstances

Yep he was top notch and I'd imagine a hero to any Belgians. Villa were going to be his last pay packet and to be fair he still had it although he went there in his twilight years. Think he only played a handful of games before his collision with Richard Wright (I'm sure it was - when he was at Ipswich?).

Top player - I would imagine he was to Belgian football what Raul was to Spain and Del Pierro was to Italy.

Yes sadly he only played 3 matches in the Premiership before his horrific injury, he scored a cracker against Chelsea on his debut :

He wasn't the Raul or Del Pierro of Belgium though, he was the unsung hero that moved to Holland after he failed to get the recognition he deserved in Belgium. He got benched too many times and snubbed twice at the player of the year awards which led to him moving abroad to Holland. He scored around 290 goals in 500 matches in Belgium and Holland when they were still at a toplevel in Europe. The only shadow on his career is his goalscoring record with the National Team, 10 in 56 matches. Many believe this was due to the difficult relationship he had with the Belgian managers/players/press despite being "a man of the people"; loved by many but shunned by the elite.

When people talk about the greatest Belgian players in the past they always mention Scifo, Van Himst, Preud'homme, Gerets, ... but never Nilis so that's why I brought him to attention.

I wouldn't have put Nilis as a Belgian legend either, not compared to those other names. You'd have to look to the fine side of the 1980s that nearly came to glory and Nilis wasn't even a part of that. One above post was right in thinking that it was Ipswich were the injury took place. (Portman Road, season 2000/01) Maybe in retrospect, a bit of a bizarre signing, but still put out of the game too soon.