IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

If Klinsmann came that would be a massive shock and a bit of a coup in all honesty. Bit like Swansea getting Laudrup last summer.

He has a big stature on the world stage. One of my biggest concerns with all the manager names being mentioned is that a lot of potential players we might want to sign will say 'who' about the manager, so we might have trouble bringing in better players. This would not be the case with Klinsmann, that's for sure. He has a very decent record.

There is nothing in the media on this, so there must be some massive betting going on. Are some people in the know? We have been a club just outside the top table for a number of years, decent squad, we must be an attractive option to any manager wanting to have a go at the premiership. Reality check - we have no money!!!

I would be please at the appointment of Klinsmann as it will turn a few heads and give us a good link with German football which is second to none at the moment. The betting doesn't have him at such a longshot, they are usually fairly careful with there money.

Fingers crossed.

I'm not sure how I feel about Klinsmann. For one, everyone here knows this I believe, but I'm an American, so first and foremost this would mean that the USMNT has to find a new coach during a crucial period in the World Cup qualifying process, which would be a major disappointment and concern for me. On that same note, I'm not sure why Klinsmann would leave the USMNT before the World Cup next summer (I just couldn't see it happening), unless there are some major behind the scenes conflicts I don't know of. He brings a lot of energy as a manager, and that could be something that could give a side a boost when needed, and he did a great job with the German national team, but had a mixed record with Bayern Munich, and has had mixed success with USMNT. He has gotten us results against some big teams (Italy, Mexico), but the team has been very inconsistent and also has lost to Jamaica among other poor results (Multiple draws with Canada). We also have not seen the wonderful attacking football that we first expected and were promised when he came, then again, results matter more than style points, and with the mediocre quality in the US side, surely Klinsmann has realized the need to play an ugly game sometimes to grind out a result. I don't see it happening, but I could be wrong. Another thing, he has lived in California for many years now, and I joke that he is more American than he is German, but does he want to trade living in California for living on Merseyside ? I believe he also has school-aged kids, so it would be a big move for them.

*Also, the USMNT is in camp right now preparing for upcoming fixtures. Can't see him organizing a move to another job while working at a USMNT camp.

Edited by Quinn31

Not sure about Klinsmann. Don't really know how he's been doing with the US national team tbh, but I wasn't very impressed with his spell at Bayern, his time there seemed to be chaotic.

But then again when you remember the other major candidates for the role seem to be Martinez, Mackay and Lennon, Klinsmann almost sounds like Mourinho.

Klinsmann follows us on twitter along with Arsenal and Spurs... our follow looks recent so some have added 2 and 2 but only time will tell if the outcome is 4!

I'll say it again, I'd love him over any other manager that's been linked but he's a national team manager with a World Cup next year so I really just can't see it!

Klinsmann follows us on twitter along with Arsenal and Spurs... our follow looks recent so some have added 2 and 2 but only time will tell if the outcome is 4!

I'll say it again, I'd love him over any other manager that's been linked but he's a national team manager with a World Cup next year so I really just can't see it!

He was a great player, but at league managerial level, he has done little, with only a short spell with Bayern.

He was a great player, but at league managerial level, he has done little, with only a short spell with Bayern.

He did great work with Germany as well. Though it's been rumoured Löw (his assistant at the time) was always the tactical genius. And he hasn't shown he can find good value in the transfer market. Then again, I suppose our scouts and video and data analysts will stay, or is Moyes taking them with him?

How are the USA doing in the qualifiers though? If it's looking like they won't be there then what's the point in carrying on with the job?

We're on track to qualify if we get the results against teams we should. It's still very early in CONCACAF qualifying.

Bayern's record during the 2008–09 UEFA Champions League was six wins, three draws, and one loss (to Barcelona). In the Bundesliga, Bayern was only threepoints off first place, with five matches to play, when Klinsmann was replaced as head coach due to a difference of opinion with the club's Board of Directors. Bayern's record under Klinsmann during the 2008–09 Bundesliga season was 16 wins, six draws, and seven losses. [/quote]

He didn't do too badly with Bayern it seems.

We're on track to qualify if we get the results against teams we should. It's still very early in CONCACAF qualifying.

Fair enough (thanks the the update), I was just thinking that if the US had lost most of their games then he would be more likely to call it a day.

Edited by Zoo

I'm judging him mainly on his work with Germany as manager - he got the youngsters playing and transformed an aging squad - something we will need at EFC sooner rather than later.

The Klinsmann link is absolutely bizarre. I would have believed it six months ago, when there were reports that he and the players were at odds, but since then the team has 100% bought in and is doing very well in Qualifiers. He seems very determined to make something happen for the country long-term so it would be very weird to see him all of a sudden drop that before even so much as one single competition.

That being said, weirder things have happened before. We're on the cusp of European football and perhaps that's something highly intriguing to Klinsmann. I know he respects Everton and especially Tim Howard.

I don't know if I would like him for the position, largely because I haven't even decided yet if I like him for the US position. On one hand, he seems to be trying to force the team into a style that simply doesn't fit the personnel. The US doesn't have finesse players but that's the kind of philosophy he insists upon. At the same time, though, that's a major difference between countries vs clubs. You have to work with what you're given in a national setting whereas you can sell off guys that don't fit and bring in guys that do as part of a club. I also hate how he has used our young strikers; he's gotten nothing out of them. A guy like Altidore is ripping apart the Dutch league and has all sorts of clubs after him and yet Klinsmann can't find a way to get a few goals out of him against shitty island countries?

Ultimately, I'd be intrigued by him but very cautious. I'd gladly take him over a Hughes or Redknapp or any of those retreads. I'm far from confident he is the guy to lead this team to the next level, though.

I'm judging him mainly on his work with Germany as manager - he got the youngsters playing and transformed an aging squad - something we will need at EFC sooner rather than later.

This is actually a strong point because I've seen it with the US team as well. Our previous regime would usually go with the "safe" players if that makes any sense. Guys like Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljiestan, and Maurice Edu would usually populate the midfield because they were reliable and veterans of the team. Klinsmann has still called up the latter two but their roles have diminished greatly in favor of new blood. He's left Carlos Bocanegra out of the team and it's been a huge controversy here in the US, but he has REALLY done a fantastic job with Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Geoff Cameron, and Timmy Chandler have been brilliant since coming in and it's hard to argue that the youth movement on defense hasn't been a success.

There is a rumour going round Twitter than Vitor Pereira's agent has been seen making inquires about a house in Liverpool. If we actually get him then I think I'd cry with happiness.

Why ?

Porto are easily the best team in Portugal, just like United with the Prem, so don't read too much into the fact he has won 2 titles.

Edit: Here are their honours:

Domestic [edit]
  • 1922, 1924–25, 1931–32, 1936–37
  • 1914–15, 1915–16, 1916–17, 1918–19, 1919–20, 1920–21, 1921–22, 1922–23, 1923–24, 1924–25, 1925–26, 1926–27, 1927–28, 1928–29, 1929–30, 1930–31, 1931–32, 1932–33,1933–34, 1934–35, 1935–36, 1936–37, 1937–38, 1938–39, 1940–41, 1942–43, 1943–44, 1944–45, 1945–46, 1946–47
  • 1915–16, 1916–17, 1947–48, 1956–57, 1957–58, 1959–60, 1960–61, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1963–64, 1964–65, 1965–66, 1980–81, 1983–84

Edited by Avinalaff

Vitor Pereiras agent making enquiries about property in the area could mean Mirallas is buying a house... they share the same agent. Or could Lukaku be coming on loan (his agent too)

Think we are likely to be getting someone with little to no compo, not sure if Martinez is in that bracket, but Pereira is.

Its all a mystery

Vitor Pereiras agent making enquiries about property in the area could mean Mirallas is buying a house... they share the same agent. Or could Lukaku be coming on loan (his agent too)

Think we are likely to be getting someone with little to no compo, not sure if Martinez is in that bracket, but Pereira is.

Its all a mystery

Keeping the off season interesting though....never seen TT so busy at this time of yearsmile.png.

Porto are easily the best team in Portugal, just like United with the Prem, so don't read too much into the fact he has won 2 titles.

The Portuguese league is shite so I'm not reading anything into his success there but he's a step up from Martinez. Roberto is used to fighting relegation whilst Pereira has managed in the Champions League. Porto managed to get into the knock-out stages where they were very unlucky to be knocked out by a Malaga side which they more than fought with.

What I'm trying to say is that VP has Champions League experience which is something Everton needs. Whether the league he manages in is shite or not if he can keep up with the big boys in the Champions League then he gets a thumbs up from me.

The simple fact is this:- of the names we have been solidly linked with, none are guaranteed to be what we hope they will be. There is a risk with all of them:

Martinez:- Defensive question marks

Lennon:- Scottish league success has no bearing on prem league

Stubbs:- No experience

Neville:- No experience

Pereira:- Portuguese proven, what does that mean in prem?

My safest bet is Martinez.