IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

There is plenty of time. I don't know when pre-season training starts but any appointment won't have any players to work with for a couple of a weeks anyway. I suppose he could come and learn how the photocopier works and where the tea is made but asides from that not a great deal

Totally agree, its just the usual we want, we want ,we want , now! now! now!

Nobody has got a clue what is happening behind the scenes, what if the rumours of Pereira signing a pre contract are true or if its even true that they spoke to him in April?

I wanted it sorted as quickly as possible but Moyes hasnt even officially left yet so to start the BK bashing already is a bit ridiculous

Totally agree 100% with this, the only people that do are Kenwright himself and Elstone. Whats bugging me though is that it's seems we had no follow on plan should our manager ever depart. Thats just amateurness of the highest order imo. We all know there is no loyalty in football, you just can't place that much trust in someone, there always needs to be a fallback, and my worry now is that if we don't move quickly to get our man then he will go somewhere else, and it will end up being Stubbs or Weir. Even you Dunc said the other day you would'nt be happy with that did you not?

No we don't, but football is a risky business and you have to have plans in place when certain situations arise, surely it's common sense. a dangerous game to play otherwise imo.

It is, but theres nothing common about sense. As you agreed with in the post (replying to Dunc), we dont know whats going on. "it seems" is interpretation based on missing information, so to make statements of "amateurness of the highest order" is a bit pointless. We dont just dont know, and its frustrating as hell.

How do you know there isn't a direction? We have apparently interviewed people for the role which suggests things are moving along. If we get to July and there is nobody in the role we would be well within our rights to have the hump about it. As far as I can see there isn't a wealth of talent sitting idly around so any new manager is most likely managing somewhere which is an added complication not just time wise but financially - the plus side though is we probably arent getting Hughes or O'Neill given they are unattached and could have been appointed in days

Well put

It's been two weeks now and we're no closer to getting a new manager in, the turnaround last time was three days.

Despite not having a manager, there are reports that Osman has agreed a two year extension. Meanwhile David Moyes was working with Ed Woodward at Man Utd on Monday to discuss extending Rio Ferdinand's contract.

I think Everton are slow to react, I also think it comes down to not wanting to pay two managers at once. If the club can put off signing players until late in the window to save on wages I suspect it'll be the same for a manager?

We arent fighting relegation with games still to be played though Louis. I am happy (though frustrated) the board are taking their time. Like Codders said, if it gets 6 weeks on and still nothing (it wont get to that Im sure) then voicing concerns is justified. At the moment, we dont know who are genuine contenders for the job (the bookies are guessing!) and I for one wouldnt want the board to give in to the pressure and go with MoN or Hughes because theyre free and will fit the gap. If taking the time to find the correct manager is what is needed, fair enough.

It is, but theres nothing common about sense. As you agreed with in the post (replying to Dunc), we dont know whats going on. "it seems" is interpretation based on missing information, so to make statements of "amateurness of the highest order" is a bit pointless. We dont just dont know, and its frustrating as hell.

It can only be based on knowing the track record our chairman and board have, it's not the best now is it. I also hope we don't hang round till next week waiting for Martinez to make his mind up.

Like you said, it's very frustrating at the moment, and once that man does come in, then it will all start with Fellaini and Baines, so it's only going to get even more frustrating, bring on next season i say.

Edited by Simon

It can only be based on knowing the track record our chairman and board have, it's not the best now is it. I also hope we don't hang round till next week waiting for Martinez to make his mind up.

Like you said, it's very frustrating at the moment, and once that man does come in, then it will all start with Fellaini and Baines, so it's only going to get even more frustrating, bring on next season i say.

its not the worst either. But I think we both know were stand on this, so lets not get into it again ;)

Well put

We arent fighting relegation with games still to be played though Louis. I am happy (though frustrated) the board are taking their time. Like Codders said, if it gets 6 weeks on and still nothing (it wont get to that Im sure) then voicing concerns is justified. At the moment, we dont know who are genuine contenders for the job (the bookies are guessing!) and I for one wouldnt want the board to give in to the pressure and go with MoN or Hughes because theyre free and will fit the gap. If taking the time to find the correct manager is what is needed, fair enough.

Exactly. Knee jerk reactions are not required and we are looking for a specific type and this will take time. We should all be careful what we wish for with a quick appointment - act in haste and repent at leisure

Edited by codders78

I hope it is Pereira who comes. I tired to dig up as much as I could on the fella last night, looked in a little more detail at Porto's record with him and his pre Porto record. There is a decent write up in the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/vtor-pereira-profile-find-out-1906179

lost 1 league game in three seasons. 1 season as assistant manager and 2 seasons as manager. Much of the good stuff done by AVB at Porto is partly credited to Pereira in a number of accounts I have read. AVB left and so did a few of the quality players at Porto.

Last season did well enough in the league stages of the champions league this season (missed top spot on goal difference only) - just knocked out to a 2-1 scoreline to Malaga in the knockout stage.

In 2012, they did poor in the group stages of the CL and where knocked out of the Europa cup by Man City (when they were is a really good vain of form last season). So although he's european record has been questioned, it's not like it's diabolical - winning the Europa cup as AVB did the season before is going to be tough to follow. A lot of quality players left at the end of August, so just at the CL

Whoever we get it is going to be a risk one way or the other, I just think somebody like Pereira may just get some of the current player as well as the fans a little more enthusiastic than than a Martinez or the other names that have been mentioned.

We may see some exciting young players come to the club, not just from Porto but from the Portugues leauge generally, some tidy Brazilians!!. What would Martinez bring he's been a long time out of Spain.

I think there would be a little more optomisum with this chap as the manger. He could turn out to be the next best thing,

Have you changed username? I don't recall you in 9 years of posting here lol.

Wasn't Rob an original member back from the online days?

After reading that mirror article ill be disappointed if its not Vitor now.

He looks great in his nice suit and captains armband (what's the deal with that?) makes Moyes cardigans look shit!

Exactly. Knee jerk reactions are not required and we are looking for a specific type and this will take time. We should all be careful what we wish for with a quick appointment - act in haste and repent at leisure

This is completely besides the point. We're not debating the amount of time that should be put into the search; I don't think anyone wants a knee-jerk decision. But a search that starts in late March and ends in late May is very different from a search that starts in early May and ends in mid June. Manchester United collectively said - okay - there's a very good chance that Fergie isn't returning. Let's begin our search for a new manager well before he actually has to be implemented. Man City almost certainly, even before they decided to definitely sack Mancini, researched potential replacements. Again, I can't say FOR SURE, but I think it's a safe inference based on what has been said by both the team and the media that the board never really even started so much as preliminary preparations for a potential Moyes departure until his move to Man U was all but official. This isn't a one or the other thing. We could have a manager by the end of the weekend with it still being well-researched and carefully thought out if the search started before the tail-end of the season. Do I know for sure when the search started? No. I'm giving my opinion based on how I'm reading the situation. I personally think that, based on evidence provided, that the board sat on their thumbs oblivious to the fact that Moyes leaving was a very realistic, if not inevitable, scenario.

This is completely besides the point. We're not debating the amount of time that should be put into the search; I don't think anyone wants a knee-jerk decision. But a search that starts in late March and ends in late May is very different from a search that starts in early May and ends in mid June. Manchester United collectively said - okay - there's a very good chance that Fergie isn't returning. Let's begin our search for a new manager well before he actually has to be implemented. Man City almost certainly, even before they decided to definitely sack Mancini, researched potential replacements. Again, I can't say FOR SURE, but I think it's a safe inference based on what has been said by both the team and the media that the board never really even started so much as preliminary preparations for a potential Moyes departure until his move to Man U was all but official. This isn't a one or the other thing. We could have a manager by the end of the weekend with it still being well-researched and carefully thought out if the search started before the tail-end of the season. Do I know for sure when the search started? No. I'm giving my opinion based on how I'm reading the situation. I personally think that, based on evidence provided, that the board sat on their thumbs oblivious to the fact that Moyes leaving was a very realistic, if not inevitable, scenario.

It was my impression that everyone was surprised by his retirement. Plus, Mancini still hasnt been replaced (despite media speculation for months)

yes, it's the same old original ruffrob from many moon ago, I has been a long time since I last posted, but have popped my nose in now and again. I bought a house that needed loads of work on it and due to IT changes at work I couldn't post on their time smile.png , so just fell out of the toffeetalk habit. I've had a family of three in the mean time - were do the years gone.

The biggest change at the club in over decade has brought me out of self imposed exile!!!

yes, it's the same old original ruffrob from many moon ago, I has been a long time since I last posted, but have popped my nose in now and again. I bought a house that needed loads of work on it and due to IT changes at work I couldn't post on their time smile.png , so just fell out of the toffeetalk habit. I've had a family of three in the mean time - were do the years gone.

The biggest change at the club in over decade has brought me out of self imposed exile!!!

welcome back then dude, and congrats on the family!

yes, it's the same old original ruffrob from many moon ago, I has been a long time since I last posted, but have popped my nose in now and again. I bought a house that needed loads of work on it and due to IT changes at work I couldn't post on their time , so just fell out of the toffeetalk habit. I've had a family of three in the mean time - were do the years gone.

I suppose that counts as a half decent excuse!

FC Porto president was very non-committal regarding Vitor's future tonight... @rcatalao: FC Porto's president: "Vítor Pereira's future is yet to be decided. I can't tell if it's going to be with Porto or outside."

@FCPortoWorld: PdC: " I am very careful in choosing managers." #FCPorto

Not sure what the problem is to be honest.

If we aint got a manager in July, when all players are back, tours are beginning etc, then I will say we didnt have a plan, BK is a prick, Elstone bums BK while the tealady licks his balls

But just now, theres no need.

The season has just finished in this country, in some it still aint finished, and the players are off on international duty or holiday.

There is absolutely no reason to panic. Something will happen within the next week. And in reality, when we take our anti-BK, panic stricken heads off...thats ok, its not a problem.

We have no idea about anything...so lets just wait.

I would buy into that story, I imagine Pereira may have had an offer or two or three on the table to him in the past 36hrs. He is a manager who is out of contract and who is reasonably well thought of having just won a second league title. I think we would be naïve to think he only has yes or no to Everton to chose.

As reported in the media, it sounded like some positive dialogue between Everton and Pereira happen yesterday or the day before. He may well have been offered the job by Everton. It's reasonable to assume that could well have been the case. If so, then any other club interesting in Pereira as manager, Porto included, will have had to get there arses in to gear today and also made an offer. So perhaps he is having a weekend to mull over any offers. Given were we are in the season, then wouldn't he take a day or two to mull over his options as everybody in football is about to go on a fortnight -three weeks holiday.

Martinez was going to say something today about his future, but then retracted and is going to say something on Monday - that makes me think he is waiting on something from a third party - i.e are Everton going to offer him the job. That sort of makes me thing he might be second choice behind Pereira should he turn the offer down.

It's been said that internal interviews have also taken place for the job. That may just being respectful to those people already at the club and gone though the motions. It's too big a job for somebody with no experience.

It's all very cat and mouse getting a new manager - most candidates are going to say they are concentrating on the own team, as your don't want to burn any bridges before you are offered another job.

I think BK wants to bring in a manager that the fans will be enthused about, and from what I have been reading most would be fairly pleased with Pereira, and would settle for Martinez as best of the rest of the candidates.

So as thought out above - I think Pereira has been offered the job and is going to decide over the weekend, and if he doesn't take it, Martinez be offer it and he will take it.

So it's going to be a long weekend. Pereira or Martinez given the job on Monday

Thanks to everybody for the welcome back.

Guest blueboy122

There is plenty of time. I don't know when pre-season training starts but any appointment won't have any players to work with for a couple of a weeks anyway. I suppose he could come and learn how the photocopier works and where the tea is made but asides from that not a great deal

Or instead work out a plan for what he will do with the current squad. What players are surplus to requirements etc, identify weak areas of the team that need to be strenghened, identify possible transfer targets, the youth policy etc.

But yeah sure he could work on the photocopier.