IGNORED

Arouna Kone

Not overly excited but at the same time i think he has more to offer than a lot of you seem to see.

He bullied us!

He isnt that old and were not gonna get much for 5m are we. If we can grab him for 5m i think he will be a good addition to our team. He can score goals.

He is strong and can hold the ball up and bring our midfield into play.

Groan.

Not a good move at all.

We shouldn't be blowing this amount of money on a 30 year old. In two or three years we'll have to replace him with fuck all money.

If we have a decent wedge of money this summer it should be spent on younger players to bring the age of the squad down.

Stellar work this.

I'm sure a lot of people want to join Everton, doesn't mean we're going to sign them. I'm sure if we do sign him then it will be for the right amount. Bill's not one for splashing unjustified cash.

You mean Moyes isn't one for splashing unjustified cash. Kenwright probably couldn't pick Arouna Kone out of a lineup.

You mean Moyes isn't one for splashing unjustified cash. Kenwright probably couldn't pick Arouna Kone out of a lineup.

You mean Martinez, right?

Anyhow, you can basically guarantee that, if we are to sign this player, we will not be paying £5m. I can see us sending someone else there in partial exchange, maybe along with a loan. I'd be surprised if we pay more than half the price touted.

Doom mongers in here. Id be chuffed if we managed to hold on to everyone and get a couple of backups in. Kone would even slot straight into the starting 11. How can we be in worse shape if we havent sold anyone and we add a 1 in 3 striker?

Because we are paying what little money we have to bring in a 29 year old to add to an already ageing squad. Your looking at it so short sighted its frightening, he may well come in and get a few goals but like has been said time and time again... What happens in a year or two when we have no money and an old/ageing striker? We are not like other clubs in that we couldnt just go and get someone else in for another £5-6m.

I will be so pissed off if this happens, i find it a little worrying that some people actually "want" it to happen. I think the optomism is a little childish in that some people basically just want us to sign anyone at the minute!

Because we are paying what little money we have to bring in a 29 year old to add to an already ageing squad. Your looking at it so short sighted its frightening, he may well come in and get a few goals but like has been said time and time again... What happens in a year or two when we have no money and an old/ageing striker? We are not like other clubs in that we couldnt just go and get someone else in for another £5-6m.

I will be so pissed off if this happens, i find it a little worrying that some people actually "want" it to happen. I think the optomism is a little childish in that some people basically just want us to sign anyone at the minute!

I'm actually seeing what I believe to be the big picture. If we can fill gaps with players that suit the team and that score 1 in 3 we might get what we missed last season this season. If Jelly had banged them in last season we probably would be playing European football this season. This means money. We might have got 5th or perhaps even 4th place. How much more money would we have made if we had the 5th place? How much more money would we have got if we had qualified for Europe? Its more than the 5-6 mil that Kone would have cost. In other words, we could MAKE money by buying players, EVEN IF they are old and have no sell on value.

There are more ways to make money than to become a plant school for young players that we later on sell for a profit. I for one don't want Everton to be that club.

Here is an interesting true story about a guy called Billy Beane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Beane He created a record breaking baseball team out of the Oakland A's on a very low budget by (amongst other things) getting rid of two of their best players and replacing them with players that other teams didnt want, but he looked at the game in a statistical way, what do you want out from a CB? Won tackles and blocks. Does it matter if he cant pass the ball? No not really as long as he keeps the ball away from the goal area.

What do you want from a striker? Goals, does it matter if he trips on his legs while trying to get past a defender? No, not if he scores a shit load of goals by being in the right place at the right time.

Billy Beane made it work. Oakland A's won 20 games in a row. Unmatched. His ways were adopted by the Red Sox later and they won the world series in 2004 which was the first time for the team since 1918. (stupid name for a national competition)

I'm not saying that we should buy a load of ball hoofing defenders and strikers with no flair etc. I'm just saying that there are other ways of seeing things. Does not mean that my optimism is childish and it does not mean that I don't see the big picture.

Edited by Peter H

Guest blueboy122

Be very dissapointed if we paid any where near the prices being quoted. For team's who have just got promoted he would be ideal and would justify the price tag as he could be the difference in teams staying up or going down but we are not in that position and should be looking at more ambitious targets who are a lot younger.

Martinez is not making a very good impression on me already before even a ball is kicked, considering blowing 6m on Kone is terrible business. Him saying we don't have to go buy Wigan players there is a broader market for players seems like a bunch of bull. Every other club is actually making decent signings whilst our transfer policy's and prospective targets are very underwhelming and certainly will not add much quality to our squad or will help bring the average age down, I would be incredibly disappointed if all we signed was Kone and some other old over priced underwhelming players. There has got to he so many strikers out there why are we going in for Kone just because he wants to come to us and reunite with Martinez? If we do sign Kone and Alcaraz it will be showing a real lack of ambition from the board and our new manager.

Gutted about this transfer but c'mon, let's have a bit of faith in the manager. He will get the best out of Kone because he knows him well and won't do anything if he doesn't have support.

In Martinez we trust :).

Fuck me it's hard to be optimistic about this...

For fucking christs fucking fucked sake.

This is terrible.

Mirallas - £5.5m - 8/9 out of 10 player. Resale value. At least 4 years at the top.

Kone - £6.5m - 5 out of 10 player. Resale value (none). At least 1 year at the top.

This is awful business. Awful awful awful. £6.5m...that makes him our top striker too. Holy hell.

On top of that. He'll need replacing in a year or two, when we'll definitely have no money.

Edited by tenaciousj