IGNORED

Arouna Kone

I think he knows that his first few signings need to be reliable. He knows the character of Kone and Alcaraz, he knows how hard they work and how they interact with other players, he knows if they rock the boat or not. They also know his systems and can help him integrate it into our squad.

If he brings them both in and it costs £6.5m for added depth and competition, then I won't mind. He's playing it safe.

If we only bring in these two and lose none, apart from Johnny, I'll be happy to wait until January for more additions.

I'll wait and see if and when the deal is complete before I blow my top like some on here we all know papers make shit up. £6.5 mil is too much but we don't have a clue what the price is really.

Thank-you :worship[1]: .

Think I need to stay out of rumourama before I lose the will to live; not over the rumours themselves but over the reaction to them in here.

Think we need to take our FIFA 2013/fashionable player goggles off here guys.

The lad has scored almost 1 in 2 for his last two teams operating in the two of the best leagues in the world. If he was 25 years old he would be costing £10m. He has tremendous attributes. I think he will be a good buy. £6m buys you naff all in a striker nowadays. FFS we managed to get £4m for beckford who is shite.

P.s anyone see his performance against us at the DW, heitinga had a mare against him. He has benteke esque attributes, maybe not as good but very effective and powerful.

Have to say it isn't getting me terribly excited, I was hoping for better. That said, I'm not complaining because of his age and potential sell-on value.

Spurs have offered 17m for Soldado and he's 28 so its not like people aren't paying good money for people of that age.

As has already been said, I think he's better than Vic but still think we'll need to try and get another main line striker in if we sell Felli or Baines (or Jela).

What's the goal? To do well next year by pursuing and sticking to a strategy? Or is it simply to reduce the average age of the squad? What matters is strategy. There's no point bringing in only young players if they don't fit with the overall strategy I would anticipate purchases both younger and older, but they will be consistent with the RM approach.

Sky sports reporting west ham have now made a bid for Bony and ate saying Swansea have now made a bid for nacer chadli, does this mean Swansea have pulled out of the bony deal as he would be a better signing than Kone if we were to bid for him younger, better and will have sell on value

Have to say it isn't getting me terribly excited, I was hoping for better. That said, I'm not complaining because of his age and potential sell-on value.

Spurs have offered 17m for Soldado and he's 28 so its not like people aren't paying good money for people of that age.

As has already been said, I think he's better than Vic but still think we'll need to try and get another main line striker in if we sell Felli or Baines (or Jela).

The difference is they can afford to write off money, we cannot. Edited by Romey 1878

This is such shit business cannot stop raging! Every other club is buying much better class of players and Kone is not that! No sell on value and too old we need to he buying better players if we want to show ambition otherwise we will surely slump into a middle places club! Terrible transfer policy business ambition and we keep giving money to the twat of all twats Dave Whelan 5 million is way too much

£5m for a 30-year-old striker? I hope that's just guess work and the real figure is less. I think he's a marginal improvement on Jelavic and Anichebe, but what are we gonna do in three years time when he needs replacing? I suppose it would be a decent deal if he could score 10+ goals for a couple of seasons, but strikers generally don't age as well as defenders and Koné's already had several severe injuries.

such a shit argument haf....10 years ago would anyone have picked out tim cahill as a star? or arteta? or pienaar? we aren't paid to pick out better players for the same price...scouts and managers are..i judge what i see and he isn't worth what is being touted imo

That's the whole point exactly. Cahill, arteta and pienaar were unproven in the prem. this lad is proven and is a good quality player. For every pienaar you can get a maggy gueye, for every Cahill you can get a Naismith, for every arteta you can get a nyarko.

I think £5m is good value for a proven premier quality centre forward.

I agree with pretty much everyone in thinking that the fee is too much if it's quoted at the 6.5 mil. I think 4 mil is the appropriate price, so if the price is 5 mil, then I can't be too upset. If he carries over his form into the next season from Wigan and scores 11-15 goals then I'll be happy with the deal. I think at a club like Everton he will score at least 15.

Point is, it remains to be seen just what exactly he brings to the field. It's too early to call this horrible business when the expected results will still be lingering for the next 3-4 years.

That's the whole point exactly. Cahill, arteta and pienaar were unproven in the prem. this lad is proven and is a good quality player. For every pienaar you can get a maggy gueye, for every Cahill you can get a Naismith, for every arteta you can get a nyarko.

11 goals in one season is not proven prem quality...lets go shit 5m on grant holt too...what's michael ricketts doin nowadays?

Guest Ph3nom3non

anyone else concerned about the age of our squad tho, we all know we are not gonna have the money to transform a team when are players start to become to old to play at there best, distin, jags, osman, pienaar, and kone (if we get him) all going to be in there 30's and most probaly in the starting line up thats nearly half the team! I think we need to bring in some younger quality players or may struggle in the future, especiarlly if the likes of duffy, stones, and the prospects we have dont work out.

Kone and Quality just don't fit well in a sentence. There's no 'quality' about him as a player.

People saying we're over reacting, I'm more conserned about the business side of the deal, it's shocking. There's little or no positive against this move.

Financially, it's awful. Potentially, even worse so. This is a big dent in our transfer kitty and one that we've not had for fucking years. And now we're spunking it on an 'at best' player.

Haf, you ALWAYS moan about the boards' "shortcomings"...about how often they think in the 'short term'. This deal, epitomises short term planning. You want the board to think long term and future investments, yet you're happy for hypocrisy in this instance???

Doesn't make sense mate.

anyone else concerned about the age of our squad tho, we all know we are not gonna have the money to transform a team when are players start to become to old to play at there best, distin, jags, osman, pienaar, and kone (if we get him) all going to be in there 30's and most probaly in the starting line up thats nearly half the team! I think we need to bring in some younger quality players or may struggle in the future, especiarlly if the likes of duffy, stones, and the prospects we have dont work out.

If Duffy are as good as I think they'll be then we won't have as much to worry about in the Middle of Defense. Coleman is young and Baines is in stellar shape. Mostly worried about Pienaar's position age-wise...

Areas where we do need younger players: a winger with a strong left foot and a creative central-mid.

We can't forget that Martinez has a good track record of integrating youth into the senior team.

Kone and Quality just don't fit well in a sentence. There's no 'quality' about him as a player.

People saying we're over reacting, I'm more conserned about the business side of the deal, it's shocking. There's little or no positive against this move.

Financially, it's awful. Potentially, even worse so. This is a big dent in our transfer kitty and one that we've not had for fucking years. And now we're spunking it on an 'at best' player.

Haf, you ALWAYS moan about the boards' "shortcomings"...about how often they think in the 'short term'. This deal, epitomises short term planning. You want the board to think long term and future investments, yet you're happy for hypocrisy in this instance???

Doesn't make sense mate.

Give me a B

Give me an O

Give me an O

Give me an M

What's that spell?!

:celebrate::celebrate:

I'm definitely concerned about the age of our squad, that's why I am so strongly opposed to the idea of us buying Kone at all and the price is another factor. That and it showing a total lack of ambition bringing him to our team as opposed to trying to bring a younger player of real quality who could have a potential sell on value. This is bad business and I'm not overly excited at all we don't look like we are going to strengthen, which we desperately need to with every other club buying better players I feel we could seriously drop into a mid table side if we don't strengthen with quality younger players. I hope he does bring through some of the youth we already have because the age of our squad is a serious problem. We need a younger striker will potential sell on value instead of blowing what little cash we have on a 29 year old who isn't going to get much better