IGNORED

Matthew Pennington

• 1 month later...

did better today. was less nervy and koeman showing the faith was smart.

I didn't agree with that faith I thought it was potentially poor game management, however it paid off.

More to the point, I'm happier to see that he got game time because it looks like he will be starting the next few games for us now. We will get a real chance to see what he's like.

That is of course unless he shifts Holgate into the centre and plays John Joe Kenny (who I believe is a full back but may be wrong?)

I didn't agree with that faith I thought it was potentially poor game management, however it paid off.

More to the point, I'm happier to see that he got game time because it looks like he will be starting the next few games for us now. We will get a real chance to see what he's like.

That is of course unless he shifts Holgate into the centre and plays John Joe Kenny (who I believe is a full back but may be wrong?)

great points Aiden, maybe we will see holgate at CB. I think he does favor him over pennington.

Pennington turns 23 this year, I'd say if he can't show a lot more promise in the last 7 games of the season then he has no future at the club.

He still has another 12 months left on his contract and his weekly wage is only £3,000 so surely some league 1 club would be willing to snap him up for nominal fee. I think when Galloway returns next season he can take up Pennington's position in CB pecking order but can also cover as backup LB.

Pennington turns 23 this year, I'd say if he can't show a lot more promise in the last 7 games of the season then he has no future at the club.

He still has another 12 months left on his contract and his weekly wage is only £3,000 so surely some league 1 club would be willing to snap him up for nominal fee. I think when Galloway returns next season he can take up Pennington's position in CB pecking order but can also cover as backup LB.

He's had really nasty injuries, hasn't he? Deserves a bit more of a chance

He's had really nasty injuries, hasn't he? Deserves a bit more of a chance

The hamstring injury where he missed 6 months between July 2016 and January 2017 is the only major one, but somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

He started 4 games last season (in which we conceded 9 goals while he was on the pitch), he's got another two games this season so far and with Williams suspended he'll probably start against Leicester. I think by the end of the season I could say he's had enough chances - I mean guys like Ryan Ledson and Shkodran Mustafi didn't even get a single minute in the premier league before we let them go. I think Kenny and Foulds deserve a chance more than Pennington

I thought he played well today, he got better and better as the match went on. While he is not blessed with pace, he has good heading ability, his positional sense for a youngster is good, and he has ability on the ball. A player for the future.

A club with a truly great youth academy and commitment to youth can find a way to bring youth through whose ceiling is more of a squad player than a superstar. Davies and Barkley were always going to make it at the senior level here, they are top top talents. Being able to turn Pennington into a reliable squad player in the defense would speak volumes to the academy, should he continue to develop.

Awful for the Albrighton goal. I've no faith in him tbh. Young lad but can't afford to carry passengers. I think Holgate at CB and Jonjoe Kenny at RB may be worth a try!

Gave away the foul, but Robles should have saved the cross.

Pennington has had a baptism of fire over the last 2 weeks, and he has improved with every game, shown character and passed a tough test against Leicester. I think he has the skills to be a good defender, how far he will go its too early to say, but to write him off now is way too premature.

Gave away the foul, but Robles should have saved the cross.

Pennington has had a baptism of fire over the last 2 weeks, and he has improved with every game, shown character and passed a tough test against Leicester. I think he has the skills to be a good defender, how far he will go its too early to say, but to write him off now is way too premature.

Hes a poor mans Jagielka. He was awful in the Derby and average at best today. As I say the foul for the free kick was just extremely poor and people want rid of Mori - Light years ahead!

Hes a poor mans Jagielka. He was awful in the Derby and average at best today. As I say the foul for the free kick was just extremely poor and people want rid of Mori - Light years ahead!

True, but Pennington has only played a handful of games. I'm not saying he is John Stones, but he does have qualities, lets just see how he develops.

Awful for the Albrighton goal. I've no faith in him tbh. Young lad but can't afford to carry passengers. I think Holgate at CB and Jonjoe Kenny at RB may be worth a try!

Luckily Williams' suspension is only 1 match especially with the ariel bombardments of Burnley/West Ham upcoming.

Regarding comparisons to Mori - there's no comparison. Pennington hasn't likely got a big future here hence why he's only got a 2 year deal unlike Holgate's and Davies' 5 year deals. Mori is obviously much better than Pennington but still nowhere near consistent enough to be a top defender in this league.

Shaky start today but really grew into the game and ended up having a decent one.

Could easily have bottled it after his start but he never hid from the ball.

Spot on. After the first goal I was thinking - fucking hell he's going to have a mare here. Second went in and he looked all over the place but he dug in and had a good game after that.

Had a decent game, but looks a bit flat footed. If an attacker can turn on him I think he'll be beaten by pace. Needs more experience though.

He may stick about as a 5th/6th choice centre back here next season but I expect this bit of experience to put him in the shop window for Championship clubs. Maybe get a couple of million with a sell on fee.