IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

Meant to say that I was looking at your imminent fixtures on the fantasy football website last night - many of them look very winnable. I know football isn't played on paper and that you'll drop some points here and there probably, but you have a lot of mid-table and lower teams to face over the next twelve games.

Come mid-February you could be higher than you are now.

But we haven't seen the half of it yet. It's going to take a full year, at least, for Martinez to fully implement his vision and style of play. We're only part way along the path - although the 'no fear' attitude is a big part of it psychologically. Still, he's done well so far with the players at his disposal. Imagine how things will progress in the coming months: adding depth to the midfield, preparing youngsters to slowly replace our aging defence, securing another striker with presence, bringing along more youngsters from the youth program, ... And, most of all, ironing out the remaining kinks in our style of play, of which there are many. There's still much room for improvement. If fans are happy at this stage, just wait until this time next year.

And as someone else pointed out, Everton is getting attention. Players are having fun and are playing exciting, attractive football. This will catch the eye of other bright prospects and help keep those we have. When we finish in a CL spot, this will tun the heads of more of Europe's best. Barcelona will trust us with more of their star prodigies. Momentum will continue to build - fed along the way by smart comments from the manager and his constant encouragement and praise for players. Next year, his insightful punditry at the World Cup is going to win over even more fans from around the world.

As you know, I joined this forum as a Martinez follower, having enjoyed what he'd achieved on a miniscule budget at Wigan. I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the revolution so far at Everton, but I don't think people realize yet how great a revolution it's going to be. :)

Next year, his insightful punditry at the World Cup is going to win over even more fans from around the world.

This, exactly. I can't wait to hear him speaking about the World Cup. I have a feeling a few others will be in awe of Martinez after listening to him speak. So much class!

wonderful post cornish steve, i agree wholeheartedly. I can't wait to see the Transfer dealings this January and Summer and see what direction we move in. Not every signing will be James McCarthy, Barry, Lukaku, he'll have some hiccups (Kone), but I think on the whole, he will continue to move this club in a positive and upward direction.

It’s going well, but let’s not sucking each other’s dicks just yet (to quote pulp fiction). First of all there is the phenomenon called ‘reverting to the mean’ which is likely to strike (bad for us, good for a team in the position of man utd). We are still in a honeymoon period and we’ll have to wait until the end of the season to see where we are. We’ve yet to go through a bad patch and it will be important to see how we react. Still, as long as we play like this: good honest, attacking football played in the right spirit I will be happy.

Guest blueboy122

The club motto of "nothing but the best is good enough" didn't really optimize us as a club during Mr Moyes tenure however we are now seeing a manager that can live up to and appreciate how great this club is.

Wouldn't mind seeing that Sin Meido motto stitched somewhere on next years kit or is that to cheesy?

I want to see how he reacts when/if we loose three of four on the bounce, when we are not having the rub of the green and so forth.................... When I see how he reacts to that then maybe I can get as gooey as you lot, not before. Hard heart maybe, but I like to keep things in perspective but he is doing a really top job and I'm bowled over with how the troops have adapted to his style. ;)

The optimism over Roberto Martinez can be savoured all the more with the recent departure of several other managers in the Premier League: AVB, Jol, Clarke, Holloway, di Canio, .... Tottenham, in particular, were stupid to fire their manager after so many changes in the off season. They are, after all, ahead of ManU.

Forgive me for linking to the Daily Heil, but Martin Samuel proving he's clueless about football yet again - apparently Moyes is making Martinez look like a better manager than he is. Some of these pricks are absolutely stealing a living - I bet he's delighted with AVB's sacking, the bullying, Jabba the Hutt resembling tosspot. How a guy like that - who's never even exercised never mind played football - has the audacity to talk about the game is beyond me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2521549/Roy-Keane-did-need-respond-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-autobiography.html

Forgive me for linking to the Daily Heil, but Martin Samuel proving he's clueless about football yet again - apparently Moyes is making Martinez look like a better manager than he is. Some of these pricks are absolutely stealing a living - I bet he's delighted with AVB's sacking, the bullying, Jabba the Hutt resembling tosspot. How a guy like that - who's never even exercised never mind played football - has the audacity to talk about the game is beyond me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2521549/Roy-Keane-did-need-respond-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-autobiography.html

I cant stand the guy but I dont think he is a million miles from the truth to be honest. Howard Kendall was saying something similar the other day in the Echo

I think Martinez is just highlighting how tactically inept Moyes was.

You cant even compare wigan to Everton, he was running a club on a ridiculous wage budget, he couldn't afford to pay the wages for any of our defenders. Heitingas Wage alone would cover his back 3.

Moyes clearly built a good team, I said all along we were far better than what Moyes was trying to make people believe.

Moyes deserves credit for the team he left behind, but he needs to accept his philosophy is wrong out on the pitch.

Edited by Hafnia

Total joke of a story from Samuel. To say we had a good defence is one thing under moyes but if we were playing the exact type of football under Roberto and sneaking 1-0s 2-1s I'd take the point but we aren't. Roberto has changed the entire philophysy of the club in fifteen games! We will get top four this year I'm convinced

Total joke of a story from Samuel. To say we had a good defence is one thing under moyes but if we were playing the exact type of football under Roberto and sneaking 1-0s 2-1s I'd take the point but we aren't. Roberto has changed the entire philophysy of the club in fifteen games! We will get top four this year I'm convinced

Read it again , he isnt saying that we are playing the same brand of football

"Everton are enjoying the best of both worlds now. They have Martinez’s attacking flair and the defensive resilience of the Moyes era."

How can anyone not see that Moyes has had an influence on our defense when every single player that has played in our back four this season and the keeper are all Moyes signings? To me its pretty obvious that Moyes built the foundations and Roberto has injected the freedom and attacking flair that was desperately needed to move us on

Read it again , he isnt saying that we are playing the same brand of football

"Everton are enjoying the best of both worlds now. They have Martinezs attacking flair and the defensive resilience of the Moyes era."

How can anyone not see that Moyes has had an influence on our defense when every single player that has played in our back four this season and the keeper are all Moyes signings? To me its pretty obvious that Moyes built the foundations and Roberto has injected the freedom and attacking flair that was desperately needed to move us on

Spot on!

In Moyes' last five seasons we conceded an average of 22.8 goals in the first sixteen games (best was nineteen two years ago though we only had twenty points then), so this season's fifteen is a definite improvement; particularly if you factor in the fact that we've played all the "big six".

Certainly you can argue that the defence is Moyes made but the guys in front of them giving them the protection ain't....that's pure Martinez.

In Moyes' last five seasons we conceded an average of 22.8 goals in the first sixteen games (best was nineteen two years ago though we only had twenty points then), so this season's fifteen is a definite improvement; particularly if you factor in the fact that we've played all the "big six".

Certainly you can argue that the defence is Moyes made but the guys in front of them giving them the protection ain't....that's pure Martinez.

The article implies that the defence put together by Moyes is allowing Martinez to be better because now he has the attacking flair he's known for but with the defence behind it to protect it, which he didn't have at Wigan, therefore making him look better. All true.

I agree with the fact that we had a decent defence but it's apples and oranges. Moyes had us tight because that's the way he wanted it. Could he have played the way Roberto has us playing? Not at all. Why not say Roberto has had a good solid forward line to build on with jelly, Naismith etc. what? No? Roberto went out and got lukaku and Gerry. It swings and round abouts and for that reason it's a nothing column.

I agree with the fact that we had a decent defence but it's apples and oranges. Moyes had us tight because that's the way he wanted it. Could he have played the way Roberto has us playing? Not at all. Why not say Roberto has had a good solid forward line to build on with jelly, Naismith etc. what? No? Roberto went out and got lukaku and Gerry. It swings and round abouts and for that reason it's a nothing column.

That's kind of the point isn't it? That Martinez has always got the attacking side of the game right.

The article isn't comparing the two managers anyway. It's simply stating that the defence Moyes left Martinez with is a good foundation for Martinez' principles to flourish from.

I don't see what the problem is with understanding that.

The article implies that the defence put together by Moyes is allowing Martinez to be better because now he has the attacking flair he's known for but with the defence behind it to protect it, which he didn't have at Wigan, therefore making him look better. All true.

But the defence isn't just the back five is it? Martinez has taken Moyes' defence for sure but he's improved their effectiveness by giving them better protection than they had previously....and as a result we're conceding fewer goals.

Look at the defence: (Howard), Colman, Jagielka, Distin, and Baines. This were Moyes players, so in that sense RM inherited and has kept a strong back line. Midfield? Barry and McCarthy are our midfield axis, and they are new. Forward line? Deulofeu and Lukaku are new. And Barkley was ignored by David Moyes. So, this is where the influence of RM is most evident.

So, I agree with the gist of the article. On the other hand, the defence is not simply hoofing the ball up the field. They are playing the ball forward, and this is Martinez' influence. So, he's had some influence on the defence, but it's been done in a way that hasn't undermined the DM legacy. There's some truth to the article, but it does overlook the change of our style of play at the back.

Plus, the comments about Wigan's defence are a little unfair. They had a very small budget (because they are a very small town). When everyone was fit and healthy, their defence was strong. Their problem was a lack of depth: When someone became injured, the team leaked goals.