IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

Saha said on Soccer AM yesterday that Moyes was better than Ferguson tactically, I know he must have had a few before he went on like but that's some statement.

Really excited about what Martinez can bring/is bringing to the team and it sounds like the players are too. With lukaku's goals to add to the quality we already have in the squad and I'm sure Jelly and Kone will chip in with a few when needed as well, then European football is a distinct possibility.

Saha said on Soccer AM yesterday that Moyes was better than Ferguson tactically, I know he must have had a few before he went on like but that's some statement.

Really excited about what Martinez can bring/is bringing to the team and it sounds like the players are too. With lukaku's goals to add to the quality we already have in the squad and I'm sure Jelly and Kone will chip in with a few when needed as well, then European football is a distinct possibility.

I think Moyes does a lot of background work and gets all the stats under the sun, but doesnt necessarily bring the best out of his team, looking at how to stop the other team instead of how to get the most out of his.

Fergie on the other hand does both. Selects his team to restrict the opposition (especially in the big games) but also finds a way to bring his big players into the game. Ferguson seemed to have a feel for when to do things, either making subs or bringing youngsters into the team whereas Moyes tended to wait and see before reacting.

I enjoyed working under David. He has a sense of humour and got the best out of me.

But the new manager knows what he is talking about as well.

Technically and tactically he knows what hes talking about, is very well educated, never seems to be stressed out and is always smiling.

I love reading between the lines in players interviews....

Basically Gibson seems to refer to Moyes as a motivator "got the best out of him". "But" the new manager knows what he's talking about aswell - then specifies technically and tactically as his reason for making such comment.

Tactical and technical are two qualities you wouldn't associate with Moyes. Tactical... Setting up a team one way ain't really tactical, especially when that set up doesn't work, where's the plan B?

Martinez displayed brilliant in game tactics yesterday which I've not seen Moyes do to that extent. 3 subs with 40 minutes to play, ok one was forced but none the less, the difference was tremendous.

Haf, stop talking bollocks lol.

He made substitutions because he had fucked up with his initial team selection. Those players should have started the game ahead of the useless twits that were taken off, identified week in week out by the fans, but amazingly not by Martinez. Even God showed he had put up with Osman long enough and took matters into his own hands.

Had Martinez got it right in the first place, we could have introduced subs in order to maximise success instead of trying to fix earlier mistakes.

There's nothing brilliantly tactical about bringing on one of the games top goal scorers, your star signing, and an injury replacement. It leaves you with no subs should we have another problem.

I wouldn't say mcarthy is a star signing. He is a decent midfielder certainly not a game winner. Is he the star because of his price.

For a club like ours, you only pay that amount for a player who is going to be a first eleven signing. To have him then come on is not a divine tactical move, but a justification of purchase. If he isn't going to be a starter, why buy him?

Av, I think Martinez knows quite clearly that a player he has stated is going to be technically good enough to play for any team in the world is a better option than Naismith, just like I'm sure he knows a £20m beast with no weakness is better than a misfiring jelavic.

The fact of the matter is that he has got to stick with his footballing principles even if it is going to cost him. He gave jelavic a half after his hard work against Chelsea (cheers for running your arse off last week when we couldn't play lukaku, now we can you're out). The same pretty much for Naismith.

He never picked the wrong 11, he picked the team his principles led him to pick. It allowed him to justifiably out them down the pecking order. As it happens, his subs were timely, and when they came on the team played in a manner tactically that punished the hammers.

How many times have we seen Moyes persevere with a shite player for 70 minutes - even up to 90 (if it's Phil Neville). He even did it against city yesterday, old habits die hard.

By the way, I like the look of McCarthy, very busy, wants the ball and has a good brain.

Haf, stop talking bollocks lol.

He made substitutions because he had fucked up with his initial team selection. Those players should have started the game ahead of the useless twits that were taken off, identified week in week out by the fans, but amazingly not by Martinez. Even God showed he had put up with Osman long enough and took matters into his own hands.

Had Martinez got it right in the first place, we could have introduced subs in order to maximise success instead of trying to fix earlier mistakes.

There's nothing brilliantly tactical about bringing on one of the games top goal scorers, your star signing, and an injury replacement. It leaves you with no subs should we have another problem.

Are you referring to McCarthy as a star signing? Is that because of his transfer price? I think he did a fantastic job tactically in naming the team. Jela put in a hard 65 minutes against Chelsea, providing the assist to Naisy...fully deserved to get the start against West Ham. And you know what, he was irrelevant so Martinez did what Moyes never would do...take an ineffective player off at the half. And so on comes Lukaku, who completely changed the game for us. I'm sure we will be seeing much of him in the starting 11 this season. It is bittersweet though, as he will be going back to Chelsea at the end of the term.

With Naisy being the difference against Chelsea, he deserved to start as well. And when he didn't show up, he was swapped out. Well played by Martinez, and special thanks to Leighton Baines and his free kick class. Hope Roy Hodgson was taking note. England doesn't have another left-footed player with the set-piece capability Baines has. Gives an alternative to Rooneys right footed free kicks.

I think he should have started with the two first subs that came on but you can understand why they werent brought in (based on them being new to the club). Not what I would have done but each to their own.

At least Martinez realised his mistake and rectified the situation. Having been faced with Moyes' stubborness over the years, saturday and even the saturday before felt like tactical masterpieces! Lol.

You see how fragile these players are just looking at Sunderland. We credit them with the mindset that they are professionals who are highly paid to do as they are told. The reality is they are pampered little boys. I would say we have a better breed of professional but I think even still it would be destructive to the spirit of the team to play the strongest 11 at the sacrifice of players who did well last time out.

Naismith and jelavic gave Bob an unwanted dilemma, they solved it themselves by performing to the level we see them at for 45 minutes. It wasn't bobs mistake, he took the hard but correct option. I have no doubt he was waiting for the first opportunity to get McCarthy and lukaku on.

Love how Martinez genuinely believes we can get in the top 4, so refreshing after x years of listening to excuses before the ball's even kicked.

That was the claim he made when he was first appointed back in the summer, but what else is he going to say ? "I expect to lead the team to a 17th place finish, although we'll survive a relegation, and hope people are satisfied enough" etc ? All newly appointed managers make bold claims or have visions of what they'd like to do - but only a very small percentage actually carry them through, or come to reality. Martinez was no different when he made his grand entrance a few short weeks ago now. Didn't Moyes (also) make some great claims when he first arrived on the scene in 2002 ?

The thing is, it is feasible that the club can manage a european cup berth for next season but I don't think it will come to that, but all managers need to talk things up or impress owners or have some level of vision, even if they do invariably come to faliure or not meet initial expectations.

I don't think moyes was anything other ta consilidator from the word go.... Moyes has a title winning team that he is talking down.... Little surprise - the man earned 70k a week telling everyone that little old Everton had a rusty pen knife against john wayne and his smith and weston.

Moyes brought this patronising attitude onto our club.

I don't think moyes was anything other ta consilidator from the word go.... Moyes has a title winning team that he is talking down.... Little surprise - the man earned 70k a week telling everyone that little old Everton had a rusty pen knife against john wayne and his smith and weston.

Moyes brought this patronising attitude onto our club.

Pretty sure the thread is about Martinez, Haf :P

At last. Our good start is beginning to get some recognition. From an article in the Daily Fail about ManU's awful weekend performance: "United’s midfield was detached from the defence and they lack someone breaking up play. Unless they address this they won’t win the title. Not since 1950 have a team done so after losing three of their first six matches. And Champions League football is not guaranteed. Look at the way Spurs and Everton have started."